Thread: Credit history and Security clearance

Credit history and Security clearance

I'm planning on joining the Navy soon and I'm definitely going to try out for the SEAL contract. I am a little worried though about whether I will be accepted. I've heard loose talk about bad credit preventing people from getting a security clearance. A Delta Force colonel told me that I would not have a problem with this, but I've heard different elsewhere. Currently I have about 6,000 in debt due to unfortunate circumstances. It's understandable that one might think of me irresponsible for this, but I assure that that is not so. Just because I acquired some debt does not define me as a person. I have the utmost integrity and responsibility. I would appreciate enlightenment on this matter.

Administrator

Re: Credit history and Security clearance

The investigator doing your background check will make the recommendation to the Department of the Navy Central Adjudication Facility regardign your security clearance. That said, $6K doesn't seem like it will be enough debt to be a barrier for a secret clearance, but I can't find a hard and fast rule that determines how much debt is considered risky. Here are some tips (I edited a bit for clarity to the layman) I found on an NCIS brief to help resolve potential financial issues that an investigator may uncover:
    • If you have a number of bad debts get documentation to prove debt is satisfied or resolution is actively in progress.
    • Get a letter from your creditor stating that debt has been satisfied is BESTproof
    • Get a letter from creditor documenting payment/s that have been made can show one is working towards resolution.
    • CANCELLED check payable to creditor is sufficient to document payments
    • Copy of just front of the check does not suffice –need front and back to prove it is a cancelled check
    • Current credit report clearly stating that debt has been “Paid”, “Paid in full”, “Settled in Full” may also be sufficient
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
    John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Thank you for the information Mr. Williams. In regards to the subject matter. Would you happen to know at which point in training I will be required to qualify for a security clearance. I'm just wondering if I will have a little time to clear up my debt after joining or is this something they will want resolved as early as MEPS?

Administrator

You have to be eligible for a clearance (U.S. citizen, etc.) before you can sign a SEAL contract, which you probably are, but the background investigation to determine actual clearance status may happen later. Your recruiter may have a better understanding of the schedule for investigations in your area.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
    John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

yo bro get back at me if you find out anything about the debt thing because i want seals bad but my ******* debt is in my way if you know anything soon let me know cause i want to resolve this problem to chase this dream also