Thread: How long does it take to get to BUD/S?

How long does it take to get to BUD/S?

I am currently in college and will be graduating in a couple of years- I am wondering when I need to start talking to a recruiter. Once I sign a contract how long until I ship out?

Re: How long does it take to get to BUD/S?

I'm about 9 months away from graduating college and enlisting, so I am in a similar position. From the research I have done over the past 4 months, you must be very competetive in terms of the PST to have a chance at getting a contract. So first and foremost, I would be ready to destroy a PST and the ASVAB months before you graduate. Talk to a recruiter now if you would like, I plan on contacting one soon to ask him when I should start taking PST's, and getting information from a local mentor.

If you get offered a contract, there will be a ship date on the contract, which will be the day you ship out to Navy Basic Training, depending on how good your PST was this could be a few weeks or 6 months away. I believe that Basic is 7 weeks long. After basic you will go to Pre BUD/S, which is about 2 months and will get you back into tip-top shape before being sent off to BUD/S. I have also heard that they may keep you longer at Pre BUD/S if you are not ready to transition to BUD/S, or they can drop you from the program all together if you are not performing.

Hope this helps. Good luck, train hard.

They are only putting people in DEP until September right now. I would recommend begin contacting a recruiter around a year before graduation.. Just focus on training hard now and taking advantage of the time you have to become a prime candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie2013 View Post
    They are only putting people in DEP until September right now. I would recommend begin contacting a recruiter around a year before graduation.. Just focus on training hard now and taking advantage of the time you have to become a prime candidate.
    What do you mean they are only putting people in DEP until September? What's going to happen then?

I'm sorry for not being clear, if you enlisted today they would DEP you until September at the latest. Next month it should be October, and so on. Or at least this is the information my recruiter has given me.

Now that you are or have graduated, would you handle the process differently? did it work out for you?

I have a similar question to add along to this thread. I'm currently in college and will be graduating in a couple of years. What are the requirements to get into Pre BUD/S? How do you get in?

Quote Originally Posted by WILLROD View Post
    I have a similar question to add along to this thread. I'm currently in college and will be graduating in a couple of years. What are the requirements to get into Pre BUD/S? How do you get in?
    WILLROD,

Read this entire site, all posts, all attachments.

Good Luck with your training,

G-Man
    Just an old civilian...

The requirements for prep are the same as getting as getting into BUDs. You have to have competitive scores on your PST and get selected from the draft. If you get picked up you'll go to basic with other NSW guys and from there you will split into your respective prep course.

I graduated from college and then spent 2 years working before I pulled the trigger and made the leap into the Navy and getting picked up for SO. I enlisted in September and was in DEP until March. When I got drafted, my new ship date was April. Regardless of when you are originally leaving, you will get a new date once/if you get picked up. Hope this answers your questions.

The easiest thing for you guys to do is contact your mentor in your area. If they are as organized as my mentor is in my area they will have all the information you need to know and also will get you some training face time. I graduated college and talked to a recruiter after I finished school. After a few waivers and a year of intense workouts I finally got my Swcc contract. If you want to leave right after you graduate start pst's now but just tell them you don't want to be put in the draft until your close to your graduating date. Nonetheless talk to your mentor.