Thread: CARBS

CARBS

I know I am suppoesed to get around 65% of my calories from carbs and the different types but how many grams should I have considering i am training for dive school, 5'9 and around 150lbs at 19? Thanks

Re: CARBS

While i'm not a registered dietician, I do have a degree in Nutrition.

To answer your question it depends on your training. I'm guessing that dive school is more focus on endurance so ideally you'd want around:

55-60 % carbs as you said
    15-20% protein
    20-25% fats

this translates roughly to about 8-10grams of carbs per kilogram of bodyweight. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs

So total for the day maximum should be around 680 grams of carbs, once again it depends on your activity level. The more endurance activities the higher the carb intake per kilo. However, you can't go wrong with the 60% carb. That is a very good general recommendation for any athlete. Carbs are the most important nutrient when it comes to providing energy for exercise.

In case you're wondering protein intake is generally recommended at .8g/kg for normal. 1.2-1.8 gk/g depending on activity. A good general idea is to eat 1 gram for each 1lb you weigh and that's way more than enough, even 1.8g/kg is pushing it, especially for endurance athletes.

Re: CARBS

Using the Harris-Benedict equation to determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), we arrive at 1,748.36 calories (note: this value was determined using YOUR specific biometric information and will be different for anyone who is NOT a 19-year-old male who stands 69 inches tall and weighs 150 lbs). Now, to determine your true daily calorie needs, we must multiply your BMR by a coefficient which corresponds to how active you are.

So, if you get:

Little to no exercise (sedentary) (BMR) x (1.2) = 2098.032 calories/day
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Light exercise (1-3 days per week) (BMR) x (1.375) = 2403.995 calories/day
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moderate exercise (3-5 days per week) (BMR) x (1.55) = 2709.958 calories/day
    Heavy exercise (6-7 days per week) (BMR) x (1.725) = 3015.921 calories/day
    Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts) (BMR) x (1.9) = 3321.884 calories/day

Now, apparently, you'd like to obtain 65% of your daily caloric intake from carbohydrates. Using that information, we can determine how many calories from carbohydrates you need to consume for each of the above activity levels. To do this, simply multiply each caloric value by 0.65. This will yield the follow values, based on activity level:

Little to no exercise 1363.721 calories from carbohydrates
    Light exercise 1562.597 calories from carbohydrates
    Moderate exercise 1761.473 calories from carbohydrates
    Heavy exercise 1960.349 calories from carbohydrates
    Very heavy exercise 2159.224 calories from carbohydrates

Finally, using the rule of thumb that one gram of carbohydrate is equal to four calories (1 g carbohydrate/4 calories), you simply divide each of the above caloric values by 4 to determine the number of grams of carbohydrate you should consume each day, based on your activity level:

Little to no exercise 340.930 grams of carbohydrates daily
    Light exercise 390.649 grams of carbohydrates daily
    Moderate exercise 440.368 grams of carbohydrates daily
    Heavy exercise 490.087 grams of carbohydrates daily
    Very heavy exercise 539.806 grams of carbohydrates daily

Since only you can assess your true activity level, I wanted to provide you with all of the above options in order to answer your question. I also decided to show the calculation process in some detail so that you (and others) might learn a bit about the methods used to determine such values. For anyone else who is curious about how many grams of carbohydrates, protein, or fat they should be consuming each day, I would suggest you start by using the Harris-Benedict equation (easy to find on Wikipedia) to determine your BMR, and then following a path similar to what I've shown above. Each person's metabolism is different and can be profoundly affected by other variables (such as sleep quality, hormonal imbalances, etc.) that are not taken into account by the Harris-Benedict equation. However, if you're looking for some good estimates of daily calorie needs, Harris-Benedict is a great place to start.