Thread: Running in Boots

Running in Boots

I train in my Bates Durashock boots all the time, I don't wear running shoes. I get shin splints every once in a while but it's nothing agonizing. Should I train in running shoes instead?

Re: Running in Boots

Yes you should. You can always mix in boots ever so often. Boots are issued at Great Lakes during prep school. If you read the RUNNING START HERE thread by Mike Caviston I believe he explains this issue. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thrill View Post
    Yes you should. You can always mix in boots ever so often. Boots are issued at Great Lakes during prep school. If you read the RUNNING START HERE thread by Mike Caviston I believe he explains this issue. Best of luck.
    I second this. In addition, "I only get injured some of the time" is not a good training plan. You want to make sure that you're 100% for BUDs / BCT, and getting yourself hurt isn't going to help that.

If you do it, I would personally only do it once a week at max. You are just hurting yourself if you continue running only in boots. Leave that for the instructors to have you running in boots. Since you already bought a pair, I would use them, but use them seldom. I agree with cbeebe, if you are constantly getting hurt, you are moving in the wrong direction. If you cant put out because of shin splints, get some running shoes, you don't give your legs a chance to recover since you don't wear running shoes.

I was running in 5.11's but was able to get a pair of the Bates 922 Tropicals, which is what I think they are using at BCT/CQT. I could be mistaken. I was having an issue with my last pair of boots where my feet began to fall asleep right around minute 25-30. I usually do one 1 hour run each week in boots and have not been able to do this without stopping due to my feet falling asleep. I have to stop repeatedly to get the sensation back. I will be doing the run again today with my new pair so we'll see if this happens again but if it does any ideas on how to mitigate this? Also, this doesnt happen when I run in regular shoes which are Inov-8 F-lite 230's. Only during boot running.
    Last edited by swimr235; 06-26-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Content

So I ran yesterday with the new boots and I didnt have any issues. My feet felt fine and they didnt fall asleep. I think it was definitely an issue of tightness around the instep. I also wore thick Thorlo type socks.I ran for only 50 total minutes and am only going to be running one time for up to 1 hour each week. This is on top of CrossFit, some weightlifting, running and swimming.

I run in running shoes 4-5 times a week, and depending on the weather and where I'm running, once a week I run in either boondockers on the dirt or road, or run and swim through the swamp in OTB boots. All I can say is that I must be doing something right, because I only occasioanly get blisters and since I started running about this time last year, I have never pulled anything or had a shin splint, mind you I didn't start in boots until about 2 months ago, so I was building up, but starting running in boots is definantly not a good idea.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, Navy Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by sandoval672 View Post
    I train in my Bates Durashock boots all the time, I don't wear running shoes. I get shin splints every once in a while but it's nothing agonizing. Should I train in running shoes instead?
    You don't have to settle for running shoes if you don't want to. I run in surplus store ****** boots every time I go for a run and never have a problem.

I think the problem might be your foot strike. Durashocks are a comfortable boot, but they still lack the padding that a running shoe has. I read in some science article once that each stride you take when you run increases your load on that leg to close to 1000 pounds. You can't run in boots on pavement the same way you run in shoes. You have to take lighter steps. Especially if you don't have a strong running background. I'm lucky because I did basically only running sports from little kid to college, so my legs are pretty conditioned. I used to get pain in my ankles and lower shin area, though and doing this really helped.

Another thing I highly recommend is getting a nice pair of insoles... not freakin dr. scholls or something like that, I mean go to a podiatrist, get your foot analyzed and have him recommend or make a pair of custom insoles, if you can afford it.

Something that I've heard helps a lot with shin splints is getting a foam roller and like shin-kneel on it. Then, roll your shins over the top of it. You also might not be stretching the front of your calves enough, either and doing this will also help with stretching.

Hope one of these things helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sandoval672 View Post
    You don't have to settle for running shoes if you don't want to. I run in surplus store ****** boots every time I go for a run and never have a problem.

I think the problem might be your foot strike. Durashocks are a comfortable boot, but they still lack the padding that a running shoe has. I read in some science article once that each stride you take when you run increases your load on that leg to close to 1000 pounds. You can't run in boots on pavement the same way you run in shoes. You have to take lighter steps. Especially if you don't have a strong running background. I'm lucky because I did basically only running sports from little kid to college, so my legs are pretty conditioned. I used to get pain in my ankles and lower shin area, though and doing this really helped.

Another thing I highly recommend is getting a nice pair of insoles... not freakin dr. scholls or something like that, I mean go to a podiatrist, get your foot analyzed and have him recommend or make a pair of custom insoles, if you can afford it.

Something that I've heard helps a lot with shin splints is getting a foam roller and like shin-kneel on it. Then, roll your shins over the top of it. You also might not be stretching the front of your calves enough, either and doing this will also help with stretching.

Hope one of these things helps.

Wow I didn't know ****** was a bad word to say on here. It's not a curse word, but an environment that SEALs operated in during Vietnam and it can't be said on here I guess.