Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What problems can one have in in the water

What problems can one have in in the water

What kind of problems can a person have in the water due to the way that their air ways, ears or eyes are. I think I heard that "swimmers ears" is one of them or that some have trouble when the go upside down in the water. I want to see if I have any of those problems Thanks.

Re: What problems can one have in in the water

yeah, you can get water in your ears

if your too worried about getting some water in your ears than going out and swimming 3520 yards with fins in the YMCA and then after that testing some drownproofing technique making your self look like a lunatic in front of the kids...

this hints to me that maybe this isn't the type of lifestyle that you want.
    "What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." - Graham Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post

if your too worried about getting some water in your ears than going out and swimming 3520 yards with fins in the YMCA and then after that testing some drownproofing technique making your self look like a lunatic in front of the kids...

he's just asking a question, im not being mean but he's just trying to see if he has a problem that he'll have to learn to deal with!

Quote Originally Posted by jtrex39 View Post
    he's just asking a question, im not being mean but he's just trying to see if he has a problem that he'll have to learn to deal with!
    If OP gets his feelings hurt over my reply. than im sure this isn't his life he wants

every day throughout a Future SEALS pipeline..well..your gonna get physiologically abused...if he can't handle some numnuts over the internet. than the instructors at Boot will destroy him..let alone BUD/S Instructors.
    "What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." - Graham Bell

Talking Re: What problems can one have in in the water

If OP gets his feelings hurt over my reply. than im sure this isn't his life he wants

every day throughout a Future SEALS pipeline..well..your gonna get physiologically abused...if he can't handle some numnuts over the internet. than the instructors at Boot will destroy him..let alone BUD/S Instructors.
    Shark, all I want is to be prepared. I just want to see maybe a list of problems in the water that some candidates have at BUD/S with eyes, ears and air ways. I want to see if I have them so I can try to get them fixed before rather than be surprised with them at BUD/S.

Quote Originally Posted by JGuerrero View Post
    Shark, all I want is to be prepared. I just want to see maybe a list of problems in the water that some candidates have at BUD/S with eyes, ears and air ways. I want to see if I have them so I can try to get them fixed before rather than be surprised with them at BUD/S.
    yes, i understand.. a lot of thumb-twiddling when you want something really bad and you have to wait months or years and you have a ****load of questions. Its just that's a silly question and i don't think some water in your ears will effect performance at BUD/S, sure, uncomfortable, but not serious and doesn't need a thread to help prevent some "swimmer's ear".
    I know there are ear drops that help fix this problem, im sure you can go find them at your local CVS. I don't know what the salt water we will be in do to our eyes or airways. i don't think it'll be anything serious (don't quote me)
    I'm sure if you still want this to be answered, you can google this up and get a million results with answers in 1 second.

Sorry if i come across really mean, but i kinda took on this "attitude" on this forum to help people oddly enough. Like i said earlier, if you think im mean, wait till your at BUD/S.. i be mean to help me myself prepare for the abuse we'll be receiving on a daily basis and im harsh to posters for silly questions, or questions that have been answered 1000 times already.

Shark, forget the "swimmers ears" crap I said. Maybe that's not a good example of what I am looking for. I thought this was a good question and maybe you are not understanding me. I will find a video and put the link on here to show you what I mean. And no, I don't think you're "mean"

Shark, forget the "swimmers ears" crap I said. Maybe that's not a good example of what I am looking for. I thought this was a good question and maybe you are not understanding me. I will find a video and put the link on here to show you what I mean. And no, I don't think you're "mean"
    Alright, i thought you meant some petty common things that can go wrong up there.
    I only have a very small 17 years of existence on this world and i probably don't know if there are in fact any severe things that can go wrong by swimming around in a pool and in salt water that can hurt your performance

But lay it on me, nothing research cannot solve. I waited a while before even joining this forum. I was sitting on outside looking in, and i didn't have to join cause this place had most of my questions already answered. Of course, one will always have questions in this place. I'm getting ready to start a thread of my own (my 1st one) about Fin sizes.. im a big dude, 6"4 ish without shoes and i wear size 15 shoe..im doing some more research before i post though

Sorry about sidetracking, but post a link, i will surely start looking around for some answers, cause i love get some more knowledge inside this lil 17 year old brain of mine!

This is the kind of problems I am asking about. Start the video a 6 minutes and 50 seconds (6:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhLHu..._order&list=UL

This is the kind of problems I am asking about. Start the video a 6 minutes and 50 seconds (6:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhLHu..._order&list=UL

If your talking about the BUD/S Graduate by the last name of Morgan. To my understanding of watching this video series several times (I own DVD set), that was a problem that he could not control, he couldn't collapse his esophagus with his mask off. Letting basically a waterfall of water down his throat.. very uncomfortable, but he had to train through it and keep cool down there.
    all the other trainees didn't have this problem, thus leading to tell me this is rare.

But either way, to ease your mind, go try this to make sure.. I don't know much other issues that could happen. Unless someone else who knows of some severe problems that can hurt you in the water, you'll have to look it up or just keep training and see if anything bad happens.

Best of luck with your training..you'll need it

JGuerrero,
    I don't mean to spam this thread with things not related to your question, but by no means should you ever practice drown-proofing at the YMCA. That is some of the worst advice I have ever heard. Don't worry about that at all until you're at BUD/S and have the instructors watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by NotNuke View Post
    JGuerrero,
    I don't mean to spam this thread with things not related to your question, but by no means should you ever practice drown-proofing at the YMCA. That is some of the worst advice I have ever heard. Don't worry about that at all until you're at BUD/S and have the instructors watching you.
    I was just using that as an example to get his mind going in the right direction, i am no way saying to go out and practice drown proofing by no means. I think my answer summed his question up (just swim and see happens basically)
    but if someone has a better answer that suites this particular question, answers would be much obliged. I always learn something new

Shark, you're probably going to get banned if you don't chill the f out.

EDIT: In life, never defend yourself if you are called out on something by a teacher, an instructor, a parent, or anyone who may have more credit than yourself. I'm seeing a lot of annoying posts with a lot of defending going on. Admit your mistakes immediately, learn from them and move on. I have not been to BUD/s, but I have been through a fire academy with ex SEALs and marines as instructors, and if you ever defended yourself (even if you were right about something) you would pay.

That's cute shark, you are 17, so I'll let all that slide. People come here to ask questions, read up on the lifestyle that they want or think they want. There's no need to act tough online here, we may possibly see each other in the future although I highly doubt it, the truth is many manly men who are pretty sharp and fit drop from training. This is people's lives here, they've either made up their mind or are considering spending some time as an operator and if they come up short or not, it's their life.

I know a dude who got rolled back because his eardrum ruptured from swimmer's ear or something. The Morgan thing was that dude was extremely mentally tough, made it through hell week, strong dude, but he apparently hadn't seen water besides drinking it before buds, so he just didn't have the reflex. How he made it through the Navy PST, pool comp, and stuff idk. There's a lot of things you just can't control, and you need to control as much as you can, so you're better prepared. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with pressure, your physiology, and water evolutions. You could have no idea, be in the dive tower, go all the way down to find out your lungs implode. I've never heard of it, but I'd imagine it sucks. Like the water is another world man, if you have the build, the mindset, and the balls, you'll get out there and try to conquer it. But there is always that slight chance it conquers you. I'm positive the Navy has figured out every problem someone could have and will try their best to prevent it, and keep you safe. Take one thing at a time, Fitness>Recruitment>PST>Navy Boot>Prep>Indoc>BUD/S>SQT>Graduation.

Well, Guerrero your best way to finding out if you have any of those problems is to go out on a swim and hope for the best. Chances are nothing's going to happen, and if you're worried about getting an ear infection just make sure to clear your ears out by shaking and patting your head or using some warm water to get rid of the water back in there. As far as I know i don't think you can tell what problems you're going to have in the water before you go in there. Have you ever had swimmer's ear before? Any past ear aches?

When my wife first got scuba certified, she had a similar problem. Unable to breathe by mouth alone. It was a mental block though, not anything physical. The instructor was excellent, and worked her through it step by step. If you get in a bathtub with a mask you can figure this out in about ten seconds. And as a bonus, you come out smelling cleaner than when you went in.

But seriously, if you can overcome the anxiety by easily trying this out in a controlled environment, go for it.

--Fargo007

Thanks every one.

Man Shark first I bet you like 4 foot flat, second I bet you sitting there in your pajamas with feet on 'em thngking oh yeah Ima try and make an idiot out of this guy to hide my double lack of size *wink wink* and then talk about why you got a reason to do it, JGuerrero a doctor told my swim coach to get a spray bottle fill it with half rubbbing alchohol and half white vinegar, then spray it in your ear, work it around and do it weekly. This will help prevent and to stop an ear infectection early. Shark man whats wrong wich you.

Quote Originally Posted by JZachariahG View Post
    Man Shark first I bet you like 4 foot flat, second I bet you sitting there in your pajamas with feet on 'em thngking oh yeah Ima try and make an idiot out of this guy to hide my double lack of size *wink wink* and then talk about why you got a reason to do it, JGuerrero a doctor told my swim coach to get a spray bottle fill it with half rubbbing alchohol and half white vinegar, then spray it in your ear, work it around and do it weekly. This will help prevent and to stop an ear infectection early. Shark man whats wrong wich you.
    First you are resurrecting a thread just to do some trash talking. Second, your grammar needs considerable improvement. Third, the alc/vinegar combo is actually effective.

One out of three isn't bad????? Sheesh.

Well three weeks isn't to bad, and I know it's effective, that's why I said it. However when I dive down to depths, 12 ft. or more my ears hurt, will that go away with time?