Thread: Meeting with a retired SEAL Thursday

Meeting with a retired SEAL Thursday

On Thursday I am meeting with a retired Navy SEAL that my dad came into contact with through work. I have some questions that I want to ask but I want to go their and get the most out of it that I can If any of you have questions that you would want to ask post them here and I will come back and tell you what he says. He is no phony, he is now a US air marshall and my dad works for ICE so that is how they met but this guy has seen combat so any questions post em and ill ask em.

Re: Meeting with a retired SEAL Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by ryguyc26 View Post
    On Thursday I am meeting with a retired Navy SEAL that my dad came into contact with through work. I have some questions that I want to ask but I want to go their and get the most out of it that I can If any of you have questions that you would want to ask post them here and I will come back and tell you what he says. He is no phony, he is now a US air marshall and my dad works for ICE so that is how they met but this guy has seen combat so any questions post em and ill ask em.
    Hope you learn a bunch, if you learn anything interesting post it up man, we love hearing new things and learning.

How fun was BUD/S, besides the fact your were getting pounded on by walking concrete houses also known as BUD/S Instructors?

another question, but i would bet he wont say ****:

Is SERE as crazy as everyone thinks? (yes no)
    "What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." - Graham Bell

I would not listen to Shark, and I would suggest you do not ask him anything beyond BUD/s if you don't want to make yourself look like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtaliesin View Post
    I would not listen to Shark, and I would suggest you do not ask him anything beyond BUD/s if you don't want to make yourself look like an idiot.
    i respect your opinion, but i have been thumb-twiddling and a ****load of questions wanting to be answered,
    i don't understand why its not suggested to look infront of BUD/S. i don't want to prepare for just BUD/S i want to prepare for a SEAL LIFESTYLE.

I really don't know why people tell others to never think, question, wonder, dream and want to learn about life beyond BUD/S. BUD/S is step one, i agree you first have to get past the 70% washout rate. But why can one not think and prepare and wonder whats past it?
    I don't know if this is something they tell you to not think about once your in the pipeline, cause im not im the pipeline yet.
    "What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." - Graham Bell

SHARK,
    Your brand new and your excited. Thats all great and good, Im happy for you. Over the last two days there has been an explosion of posts from you and with every new one I read I feel you are more and more immature than I thought. This forum isn't for daydreaming. To answer your question as to why more people dont think more about life after BUD/S. Its simple, getting their is hard enough. Sure we all think about what it would be like to be a SEAL. We just dont post it on here because its pointless. He is going to meet a former team guy, and Im sure he doesnt want to come off like a wanna-be kid. So yeah I agree with iamtaliesin, I wouldnt ask "how much fun was it!?" or "is SERE crazy!!?". You said your thumb-twiddling and have alot of questions. I have some ideas for you. Get off your *** and train, stop twiddling your thumbs altogehter. And as far as alllllll your questions, judging by the two you want him to ask I would say that they arent that important and you can wait until you get there. If you ever do...

Okay no need for calling each other out anymore.. Questions please? I need questions?!?! I don't want to go there and seem like a punk who thinks he knows everything.. I just really can't think of what to ask

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    SHARK,
    Your brand new and your excited. Thats all great and good, Im happy for you. Over the last two days there has been an explosion of posts from you and with every new one I read I feel you are more and more immature than I thought. This forum isn't for daydreaming. To answer your question as to why more people dont think more about life after BUD/S. Its simple, getting their is hard enough. Sure we all think about what it would be like to be a SEAL. We just dont post it on here because its pointless. He is going to meet a former team guy, and Im sure he doesnt want to come off like a wanna-be kid. So yeah I agree with iamtaliesin, I wouldnt ask "how much fun was it!?" or "is SERE crazy!!?". You said your thumb-twiddling and have alot of questions. I have some ideas for you. Get off your *** and train, stop twiddling your thumbs altogehter. And as far as alllllll your questions, judging by the two you want him to ask I would say that they arent that important and you can wait until you get there. If you ever do...
    your posts have always intrigued me. I on the other hand, don't agree with you to some extent,
    1st of all, sorry OP for spamming thread, im done after this

1)i am new to posting on the forum, i have been looking in on outside for awhile now, i decided i would attempt to contribute to this forum anyway i could because i have learned alot. only a single question has been asked from me.

2)I even went through my posts to check to see how immature i seemed, I didn't. maybe if you want to back this info up and do an analysis on my thread activity, go ahead.

3)I agree that the SERE question was ...a little much and that you really have to mainly focus on getting to and succeeding at BUD/S. But my first question was completely valid. I plan on having some fun while im at BUD/S, its one of the ways i cope with tough training and my daily life. It is one of the ways people stay motivated and how i do.

I like your blunt attitude you take on, it may not be the nicest, but who ever said this life we want is all pretty flowers and butterflies.

My advice to you is this:

Formulate your own questions rather than asking for help from other people. I'm sure you'll have a few questions (i.e. Do you have any advice for me?). I would explain your thought process in applying to this program and why you want to be in the Navy. As long as you don't have a bad attitude, it will look better to show someone you have researched a topic thoroughly rather than blindly asking questions that are childish and will be a waste of one's time. ( a common theme that often presents itself in this forum). While it is nice of you wanting to help everyone else with their questions, this man could be a valuable resource to you and provide you with some great insight. Ask informed questions or just listen to what advice he will have to give you. You both know what the meeting is for and I'm sure he'll have something to say to you regardless.

You can always say something like, "I really don't have any questions for you, but I have been doing a lot of research about a possible career as a Navy SEAL. I would just like to hear some of your experiences you had and any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated."

After replying to wizard i looked over this thread, after rereading it over, i agree that BOTH of my questions were not appropriate and indeed immature for ryguyc26's situation. BUD/S is a serious thing and i didn't want to look like i thought it as a game. I am sorry for wasting space on this thread that can really help answer real questions. I hope that you guys would accept this apology and continue to further help me as i am sure i will always have question without answers.
    Sorry for causing some petty argument on your thread that didn't need to even happen.

Ask him what his biggest motivation was during BUD/S. Was he ever on the edge of quitting? What inspired him to pursue being a SEAL? How did he prepare for his PST?

Also how old is he, because depending on what class he was in, things could have been a lot different.
    "A Man Can Be Beaten In Two Ways, If He Gives Up Or He Dies." -Richard Machowicz

I think nickdich's recommendation is spot on, but some questions in case you draw a serious blank:

On what evolutions did you see most of your classmates struggle?
    Was there anything different you could see early on about the guys who made it through? The guys who DOR'd?
    For you personally, what was the toughest part of BUD/S?
    What's something I could be doing right now to prepare that I probably haven't thought of already?
    What's your favorite or funniest story from BUD/S?

I would ask him for training tips for sure, also ask him what you need to do to not look like a target for instructors when you get there. My cousin (SWCC senior cheif retired) said they look for guys with pencil legs and big attitudes to try and weed out first. Additionally a friend of mine is ex army SF and told me to practice knot-tying under water, sprints, practice breath holding under water, practice strengthening hip flexors for 4-count leg lifts with fins, practice assembling and un-assembling complex equipment under water...and things of that sort.

Practicing breath holding isn't a great idea. Sorry for being a safety Nazi but its just stupid.
    "A Man Can Be Beaten In Two Ways, If He Gives Up Or He Dies." -Richard Machowicz

What a Guy! Seriously, He was one of the coolest people I have ever met. He knew the guys from the Lone Survivor and the guys who recently did the raid to free hostages from Somalia. He was jealous that he wasn't with them. He said that he used the "meal-to-meal" mindset for getting through BUD/S. He is a Federal Air Marshall and invited me to come by their extremely nice gym one day to work out. He also told me to find a pool near him and he would take me through the drown-proofing evolutions and underwater knot tying. He strongly recommended running with boots in the sand before leaving for BUD/S. If you can, I strongly recommend meeting with one of these guys. Use all of your resources, ask everyone if they possibly know someone who was a SEAL. They are a wealth of information, and he told me some things that I have never heard before but would rather not put in here just to keep both of us safe.

He did say that he thought about quitting but only twice briefly and then he just remembered, this will end, I am not going to die, and I go to the ******* fleet if i drop and I hear that is hell.

He said every day is game day. Compared it to if you have ever played a sport than every day is like the day you play you're school's rival. You better be fired up. If the instructors see you moping around it is like sharks on chum and they are going to try their hardest to make you quit.

He went right after college and he said he was basically a scrawny little runner with no upper body strength. He took 2 yrs training every day and spent a short time on a ship and never went back.

He loved the lifestyle of being a SEAL though he only did it for 7yrs. He said that it absolutely consumes you're entire life but he loved it. He said all of the Team guys are the most motivated/competitive people you will ever be around and there will be races just to get to the bathroom. He said he got tired of the everyday 24/7 work after 7 yrs and he moved on to something different and now he works for the Federal Air Marshalls and owns a Martial Arts school.
    Last edited by ryguyc26; 01-26-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: fixing some things