Thread: Masters degree. Better chance of getting picked up by SEAL?

Masters degree. Better chance of getting picked up by SEAL?

I know the pt requirements are the main goal when being selected by draft. I have successful pt scores, but I also have academics as well for good credentials. I have a bachelors and masters degree in Exercise Physiology.

My question is, when it comes to the draft, what are all of the categories that get looked at, other than pt scores?

Re: Masters degree. Better chance of getting picked up by SEAL?

I asked a similiar question to Mr. Williams a week or two ago.

I was going for OCS, but it looks like I can't take my PST in time for the March Board so I plan on enlisting. I asked him whether or not a college degree would be a factor into getting selected for a SEAL contract. Here's My question

Mr. Williams,

I'm currently trying to apply to OCS for Special Warfare, however, I may not be able to take a PST in time for the March 1, 2012 deadline due to a recent PRK vision correction in November. Rather than wait around until the next application deadline, which could be March 2013 as my recruiter told me, I have been thinking of just enlisting.

I have not talked to my recruiter about this yet due to the holiday season, but I was wondering what other factors affect an candidate who is put into the so called monthly draft for SO contracts. To my knowledge, once a mentor thinks your PST scores are sufficient he submits you package to the selection committee, however do they only look at PST scores or can a college education play any determing factor over someone with similar scores etc?

Thank you for cooperation,
    Here's part of his response that applies:

However, if you would rather not wait and just enlist, you need to have a clean record with no medical/legal waivers and then just focus on killing the PST. Your college grades will not be a factor.
    One would assume that if you have a degree you'll most likely have a better chance of scoring high on the ASVAB and I read somewhere that people with degrees have a lower attrition rate that those who don't in BUD/S.
    Last edited by nickdich; 01-27-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added my question for better insight.