Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

Ryknow

Re: I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

My only guess on why people drop out from bud/s would be because it's the worlds toughest training. And like the navy seals motto, "the only easy day was yesterday", people don't realize what they signed up for till they get there. But hopefully you can run ten miles before lunch and you just might be looking like a winner.

Ive been to buds and DOR'ed in hell week. People quit because it sucks. My class started with 250 and ended hell week with 40. I too only ever cared about being a SEAL, but everything changes when your cold, wet, and running for endless miles under a boat. BO is a joke, phase is tough, and hell week is a completely different ainimal. Phase wasn't too bad for me, but hell week was repeated kicks in the nuts. I quit because i couldn't keep up with my boat crew during base tour. We had people quitting every ten minutes during this evolution. If you cant keep up or carry your weight the instructors are on you like crazy. Believe me when i tell you, land portage is the biggest killer in buds. It's also the best kept secret. The cold sucks, but for me it was nothing. I was in a february class, coldest of the year. I feel like i got used to surf torture because I knew i would never quit from being cold. The cold gets alot of people too, but trust me land portage is the worst. If you want to simulate land portage go buy a 50# weight vest and run 15 miles. If you can do that no problem then hell week will be less painful. Oh and dont worry about being a PST stud. No one gives a crap. My pst was terrible and i was fine during phase.. (got gooned alot though). My buddy made it through hell week and he barely passes his 4 miles.. Being a fast runner will help you though... If I could go back i would have worked out my legs like crazy and run my *** off prior. There you go... I dont know why im on these forums but i feel compelled to answer questions because I know i had so many before going to buds. Im tired of seeing people think they know everything when they arent even in the navy yet... I cant tell you how to make it through hell week though... you have to figure that out

lol this is hypocritical for me to say considering my most recent post but you will never know if you will DOR or not till you do or dont, you cant be 100% positive

With many people, it's because they say, You know I could go through 3 more months or however long I have left, but then after that it doesn't stop, the future suck gets those without the fire in their gut. Then some are just ill-prepared. Then like Stew Smith said,"BUD/S is like a marathon, you can't train to run a 10 or 15 mile race and then make it through a marathon."
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, Navy Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by rhodes87 View Post
    Ive been to buds and DOR'ed in hell week. People quit because it sucks. My class started with 250 and ended hell week with 40. I too only ever cared about being a SEAL, but everything changes when your cold, wet, and running for endless miles under a boat. BO is a joke, phase is tough, and hell week is a completely different ainimal. Phase wasn't too bad for me, but hell week was repeated kicks in the nuts. I quit because i couldn't keep up with my boat crew during base tour. We had people quitting every ten minutes during this evolution. If you cant keep up or carry your weight the instructors are on you like crazy. Believe me when i tell you, land portage is the biggest killer in buds. It's also the best kept secret. The cold sucks, but for me it was nothing. I was in a february class, coldest of the year. I feel like i got used to surf torture because I knew i would never quit from being cold. The cold gets alot of people too, but trust me land portage is the worst. If you want to simulate land portage go buy a 50# weight vest and run 15 miles. If you can do that no problem then hell week will be less painful. Oh and dont worry about being a PST stud. No one gives a crap. My pst was terrible and i was fine during phase.. (got gooned alot though). My buddy made it through hell week and he barely passes his 4 miles.. Being a fast runner will help you though... If I could go back i would have worked out my legs like crazy and run my *** off prior. There you go... I dont know why im on these forums but i feel compelled to answer questions because I know i had so many before going to buds. Im tired of seeing people think they know everything when they arent even in the navy yet... I cant tell you how to make it through hell week though... you have to figure that out
    Rhodes87, thank you for your insight. It is very appreciated.

honestly i can remember it like it was yesterday. I was running under the boat in soft sand. I was in such agonizing pain every step I took... in my mind honestly quite literally i was screaming quit..quit...******* quit...literally screaming this in my mind. the diarrhea running down my leg didn't help. Then we put the boats down and re height lined because 6 people had already quit. one of those people was a buddy of mine who I looked up too. we had are new boat crews and off we went again running with the boat on our heads. again my mind was screaming quit if my buddy couldn't do it i couldn't and then finally i pulled out from under the boat. that was it 4 instructors were on me like sharks it was all over.

All it comes down to is people convince themselves to quit. they don't push through that pain barrier. that little voice is real gents. and if you aren't training until you hear that voice. you are setting yourself up for failure.
    Strength and Honor
    SWONEC Victor
    HOOYAH

Quote Originally Posted by SWONEC 3 View Post
    All it comes down to is people convince themselves to quit. they don't push through that pain barrier. that little voice is real gents. and if you aren't training until you hear that voice. you are setting yourself up for failure.
    This is perhaps the most provocative statement I have heard on this forum to date.

...Epic.

Great post SWONEC 3. Losing the bowels during these runs seems to be a common occurance. Talk about putting out to the max, forget vomitting, thats easy. I know one thing, I have mad respect for a guy who can admit to quitting in BUD/S. Most people lie and say they were medically dropped or some bs.

To add to this, a lot of people tend to think that all BUD/S is about is "not quitting". Not at all true. You have to perform, and you absolutely have to put your boatcrew and classmates before yourself. For an example: During HW there was a guy in my boat crew, who will remain anonymous, that would not quit.....even though all through the night he was running BEHIND our boat. When he did manage to get under the boat, he was ducking so bad that might as well had been crawling. He was literally making our lives worse, and we already had one weak guy that had hurt his knee. We literally hated this guy, and basically begged him to either help us out or just quit so we could get a new height line and gain someone else...Because he would not quit or put out, we suffered. I will admit that eventually I DOR'd...I was letting my boat crew down and could not keep up. However, I do have a recommendation to at go back to BUD/S....it's a long shot but at least it's a shot. That same guy though, was performance dropped from training on Wednesday of Hell Week...more than half way through. The instructors repeatedly told him to quit because he brought every boat crew down, but instead he put his pride and himself above everyone else no matter how much they were suffering because of him. When he was dropped, his DOR sheet had a huge checkmark next to "Recommended to never return to BUD/S or SBT". I saw him shortly after, and he still maintained that he hadn't "quit". True, he didn't "DOR". What he did was much worse.

IS2:

How did you do on swimmer and boat surf passage?

Those were easy, compared to most everything you do with boats or logs. Every time you're out in the water doing races, you're away from the instructors. Every time "surf passage" is on the schedule, you pray for good waves so you spend more time in the water. If you don't put out though, or if the waves are lame, welcome to drag races/land portage for a couple hours

I feel the same as ziljaeden it gets old after a while right. And th not wearing a jacket makes no sense.
    "Fear not the night, Fear not which walks the night, And I am that which walks the night, But only evil need Fear me, And gentle souls sleep safe in their beds, because i walk the night"- Lt Col Dave Grossman

That thing that, "Irks" you guys is arrogance & ignorance combined, along with the belittling of people who choose to not continue. The only thing that matters is that the right people get into the right positions within the Navy. There will be guys, Guerrero, who will be faster, stronger & smarter than you. Some of them will stay & perform far better than you will & others will quit. Of the ones who quit, you are no better than them. SEAL doesn't make you God & I guarantee a number of the guys who drop will be able to beat your flesh into liquid. The only difference is that SEAL isn't their calling & it is yours (if by some stroke of luck that ego doesn't get you killed). These guys may even become your superiors & you'll feel all types of funny when it's you with the Trident on your chest but still saluting them. You've got some growing up to do before you get to BUD/s. & I more than promise you if the instructors hear you talking this way or see you putting down a man who drops, you'll regret it. I for one hope you do.

Gentlemen, I fear this thread may have been misconception. I believe all the OP meant to get in return were a bunch of HOOYAHS and ego strokes about becoming a SEAL. Its juvenile yes, but we have all said silly things for silly reasons. As for walking in frigid temps in a T...I believe that's hoe one catches pneumonia. If I were you I would sweat and take HOT baths every chance you can. Cause IF you get to BUD/S kiss warm water GOODBYE.

Spoken like a champion....thread closed. haha

He forgot pissing in your wetsuit.

personally id just like to reply to his original request, this does not irk me in any way or get under my skin at all. the fact of the matter is everyone here at some point has thought similar thoughts. i have completed the SEALFit academy and Kokoro and personally i can say that after being in the water essentially 25 minutes from the very base that BUD/s is held on and being on those beaches and being yelled at and cold and tired and beat down. its easy for that thought of quitting to crawl its way into your mind. i myself considered it. i watched some guys who i thought would never quit just break at the end of the day the only question that remains when your cold, wet, tired, bleeding, and everything hurts all that matters is can you ask yourself if you want it bad enough, most people dont, i could care less, it isnt for everyone. some just believe that want it until they are there and in that pain, but you have to be able to put your mind in the right spot and keep moving one step at a time, one day at a time some people just cant do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    He forgot pissing in your wetsuit.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, people who p1ss in their wetsuits and people who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ziljaeden View Post
    I'm sick of people coming on the internet posting stories about why they think they have what it takes to be a ******* Navy SEAL. This is a recruiting site, it's here for people to come and get information about becoming a SEAL and maybe provide some motivation. It's not here for people to post stories about why they want to be a SEAL or why they know they have what it takes. Guess what? Every man who finds himself at BUD/s thinks he has what it takes. Guess how many of those guys DOR? A lot.

And yeah, I know this is the "Mental Toughness" forum. But if you don't have anything insightful to say, ask or post then don't post anything at all, for the love of God. I check this site everyday hoping to find some useful new information or insight, and when I click on a new post and I find myself reading a page long essay by some kid who thinks he has what it takes to be a Navy SEAL because he wrestled in high school, it's a little annoying. newyorker223, wrestling in high school in no way makes you a "warrior" or gives you a clue what the "warrior" mindset is. I have this same issue with CrossFitters who throw that title around. You can do Fran in 5:00 minutes? Good for you, but that doesn't make you a warrior.

And maybe you do have what it takes to get through BUD/s, hell, I hope you do. I don't wish failure on anyone, but if you're so confident in yourself then there's no reason to explain yourself to everyone else. Seriously, quiet confidence is always a good policy, especially since we're all still wannabes. And that not wearing a jacket to work thing? You're not doing anything besides annoying your coworkers. Ask any SEAL whose been through BUD/s and they'll tell you trying to get used to the cold is a waste of time.
    ... I don't feel worthy of responding to this well organized piece of wisdom... but it needs to be repeated. Honestly. If you are here to brag about something you are going to do, leave. Just leave.

Any man who even makes it to BUDs has earned my respect.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodes87 View Post
    Thank you for your valuable insight. This forum should be for those who wish to become SEALs (and are willing to learn), and those who have knowledge of the process. Whether you make it through the toughest military training in the free world (BUDs) or not, the knoledge is still attained. By passing on this knowledge you assist all the humble SEAL candidates who are not arrogant enough to suggest that BUDs is easy.