Thread: Why?

Question Why?

Why do specops trainees go through such torturous training just to go through hell at war? What drives them? If you are going into the SEAL/SWCC program then what do you think drives you to do so?

Re: Why?

Are you sure with this statement? Are you in the military? I've heard many SEALs and former SEALs talk about people don't know what they're missing out in the teams, and that it is a hell of a fun job.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrex39 View Post
    Are you sure with this statement? Are you in the military? I've heard many SEALs and former SEALs talk about people don't know what they're missing out in the teams, and that it is a hell of a fun job.
    No I'm not in the military. And you mean you heard SEAL's talk about it being a fun job in real life or online? If online please link a video.

Look up buds131 on youtube. There's a link in his description showing all of his livestreams with him, a former SEAL, and his buddy, another former SEAL. I can't give you an exact livestream that they said it but if you're interested in learning tips from them and stories from them, listen to them anyway. They make new ones every Monday at 8pm EST. I've heard them many times say the teams are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrex39 View Post
    Look up buds131 on youtube. There's a link in his description showing all of his livestreams with him, a former SEAL, and his buddy, another former SEAL. I can't give you an exact livestream that they said it but if you're interested in learning tips from them and stories from them, listen to them anyway. They make new ones every Monday at 8pm EST. I've heard them many times say the teams are fun.
    I'm sure it is, until you get shot or lose a buddy =/ Guess thats just the risk they all know they have to take.

I see lots of Don Shipley videos. In some of them he says that some people will never understand. If your heart and mind aren't set to it and you dont become a SEAL, then you'll never understand. Simple as that.

I just signed the last form to go to MEPS today! Gonna go soon since everything is approved already.

From various books I've read that were written by actual SEALS, they do not go into battle with the mindset of "I'm gonna get shot, or one of my friends are gonna die." The mindset is "It pays to be a winner" which is seared into your mind during Bud/s. A SEAL will never find himself in a battle thinking that he's out-maned, even if he clearly is.

A few other answers to your original question:
    -SEALS are men who strive for perfection, excellence, and overcoming adversity. War shapes a man, and sharpens his character. Being a warrior instils this, but being the best warrior makes it your life.
    -SEALS are also patriots. Men who are willing to die for their country. They live to serve the people, and ensure that those people prosper. They also serve the men next to them and will always have a teammate's back.
    -It's a **** cool job.

This is a quote from the movie Black Hawk Down, which may also answer your question:
    "When I go home people'll ask me, 'Hey Hoot, why do you do it man? What, you some kinda war junkie?' You know what I'll say? I won't say a god**** word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is."
    "A Man Can Be Beaten In Two Ways, If He Gives Up Or He Dies." -Richard Machowicz

Every SEAL does it for the job description: Serving your country, Being the best of the best, Shooting guns, Doing cool stuff, Jumping out of helos and planes, Blowing stuff up. It's just weird to me that people go through all the trouble to get to buds and quit, actually quit on their own free will. Like the whole time you're training you're rehearsing how awesome it'll be, the brotherhood, the pride, overcoming the challenge, rising to the occasion, being counted on, being a part of the United States military. ~~SOLID

Falcon don't make assumptions about people wanting to quit, they quit because they let the wrong side of the brain take over or they find they're not right for the job don't say you don't see how they quit until you've been in their position bro.
    6'3-178lbs-17 - Future SEAL hopeful

I think it's interesting because every one of those candidates that has a contract to go to BUD/S say the same things that guys like you do, Falconman. I'm not saying that that's bad, but it kind of throws a realistic spin on things because out of 10 of those guys, about 7 or 8 of them will quit. That doesn't make them lesser men, but it does show that you can't really assess a six month program off of a couple of documentaries that you saw on TV.

The sickening feeling that you'll get when you first get to BUD/S and even boot camp will be one of intimidation. The biggest fear comes from not knowing what is going to come next. I remember being scared shitless every day in boot camp because I didn't know when the next beating was coming because they could come at any time. We all got woken up one night by our RDCs and put at attention while listening to our brother division across the hall just get beat for two hours straight by the whole RDC staff that was assigned to that building (including the senior enlisted guy and the OIC). They did that to scare us and show us what was in store for us if we ever messed up like they did, and sure enough, it was our turn the next night (every div always eventually sure enough ends up messing up anyways though). I'm telling you, it's all about the mind games, and that's nothing compared to BUD/S, but it does show that when you're actually there feeling those feelings of anxiety and fear, your mind just may stop saying "I don't understand how those other guys quit", or it just might say "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****!"

Also, don't assume that what you see on TV or in the movies is 100% of the job. There's other stuff that you will be forced to do that will just suck and you won't like a bit of it because it won't be what you thought you were signing up for. That's not to deter you, but to put it into perspective and make you think about things a bit more. I'm not a BTDT, but I can only assume - and I think that I am correct when I say - that some, if not most, trainees actually put the whole concept of BUD/S into perspective and think about what the career of a Special Warfare Operator is actually going to be like. They hate being cold, wet, and tired and they will ask their instructor if they will ever feel like this again after BUD/S and when they're inevitably told "Yes", then some of them will come to terms with the fact that the job may not be for them.

Remember, BUD/S isn't just some haze-fest that everyone has to go through to become a SEAL and then all of the hardship is over. It's a screening tool of sorts to prepare and test a candidate for what rigors that he will face in the line of duty as a SEAL.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because again, I'm not a SEAL, but I feel confident in my assumptions.

Solid post Barall.

i agree with ryguy
    "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." --Winston Churchill

A bit out of my lane, but I've read some things in other forums about SWCC and from what some SWCC veteran's are saying about SWCC, is that it was the best decision of their life. Fast boats, big guns, lots of lifelong friends, money, and you are apart of the special forces, and work with other SOF's (read the benefits section on both the SEAL and SWCC website here). There was even a post about a veteran SWCC, who didn't like it as much because (according to his words), he thought it was going to be a "kicking down door's and shooting people in the face thing", but it turned out quite the opposite for him. (which I am sure SWCC's are trained to do that). I guess in a sense it is all of what you make it. Some of the best advice I've received is: Do what makes you happy, not what other people want. Talk to some veterans of other branches too, some will tell you some pretty fun stories they had when they served. Whether it be a Coast Guard MSST member, Navy submariner, Air Force pilot, Army and Marine infantry, or a Navy SEAL, they all serve our country and they all do it well. And I'm sure the great majority of them enjoy what they do. Hope that helps! Back to my lane.

Good Post Barall.

It takes a certain type of mind to go through it, I am assuming. I am doing it for the job, and where it would take me in life. Not the " I kill al qaeda thing" at all. SEALs are a special warrior of a different kind. I think everyone should stay positive and take it one step at a time if you even make it to BUD/S. One quote i like from a 234 grad is " Wow, this sucks, but atleast we're doing something different".

I also believe in " It pays to be a winner". I am a competative person, and when I lose, or come in second, it makes me angry and I would want to push myself harder to win and be that winner.

@Slov i totally agree, when i want to quit and i'm dieing on that last mile i take a deep breath swallow it down and tell my self it "pays to be a winner" the whole run it sounds kinda vain but its the honest truth and i found that it helped me more than thinking about quiting, instead i try to run that last mile like my life depends on it if you can't do it just running how could you expect to do it in hard conditions like the SEALs
    6'3-178lbs-17 - Future SEAL hopeful

This is why I hate trolls. They hijack all threads. And its Marine (capital M) and Army Special Forces. Also, Navy. If you're gonna be a creepy troll guy at least have the ability to type correctly.