Thread: My Recruiter is Contradicting This Forum!!

Mikem9203

My Recruiter is Contradicting This Forum!!

Alright so from what I have gathered from this forum, both PRK and LASIK eye surgery are waiverable by the Navy assuming your eyes meet the proper standard after surgery.

The problem I'm having is my recruiter is telling me that I can only get PRK and that if I get LASIK than I will be disqualified. As you can imagine this is extremely frustrating, so If there is anyone who has received LASIK, gotten a waiver and has received or is working toward a contract after being waived by the navy if you could help me out with some advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

PS. I have no problem getting PRK if thats my only option, but I want to do my homework on this one so I can be confident I'm doing what is best for improving my chances of becoming a SEAL. Thanks again!

Re: My Recruiter is Contradicting This Forum!!

Both are waiverable.

Here is what my NC1 Recruiter said. He said LASIK will not be waivered due to the fact that LASIK is cut in the eye and under the high pressure situations( and i mean those under high atmospheric pressure i.e. under 100ft of water) will reopen or have the possibility of reopening... the cuts at least.

Seems reasonable to me but who knows.

There are many threads already on this site about someones recruiter contradicting the information on this forum. Here is a link to just one of them:

https://www.sealswcc.com/forums/show...=9201#post9201

There are a lot of rules and regulations for each specialty and they are updated all the time so it is hard for every recruiter to keep up on all of them. I will give you the same advice that I gave the guy in the thread that I linked: respectfully disagree with your recruiter and have him/her call the SpecWar coordinator for the region to straighten them out. There are many posts by SEALSWCC employees stating that LASIK and PRK are both waiverable, so you know you are right. Double check everything the recruiter tells you with information on this site.

I can tell you with all certainty that both are waiverable for SEAL/SWCC/DIVER/EOD. The only people that have a problem with Lasik is Aircrew.

I have had a ton of recruiters work for me over the years and I can assure you that they sometimes hear one thing and apply it to all things.

I cannot advocate one surgery over the other, but according to the main decision makers CNRC Special Warfare Shop and N3M Bumed, you are eligible to choose either course.

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Mikem9203 View Post
    Alright so from what I have gathered from this forum, both PRK and LASIK eye surgery are waiverable by the Navy assuming your eyes meet the proper standard after surgery.

The problem I'm having is my recruiter is telling me that I can only get PRK and that if I get LASIK than I will be disqualified. As you can imagine this is extremely frustrating, so If there is anyone who has received LASIK, gotten a waiver and has received or is working toward a contract after being waived by the navy if you could help me out with some advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

PS. I have no problem getting PRK if thats my only option, but I want to do my homework on this one so I can be confident I'm doing what is best for improving my chances of becoming a SEAL. Thanks again!
    Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
    U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
    2000 Trident Way, Building #401
    San Diego, CA 92155

I had PRK done back in May and everything went perfect, it all happend exactly how the Doc told me it would go, +/- 5 hours on when the pain/itchy feeling in the eyes went away. I did a ton of research on both procedures (LASIK and PRK) and so when I went to the Doc I was already fairly well informed on how PRK was done and the side effects I'd have for the next few days after, which he also explained them to me.

All I can say about finding out which procedure would be correct for you is to go talk with your eye Doc and he will let you know if you are able to get PRK and if you aren't then LASIK it is.

Also, make sure you do some research on the eye Doc that well be preforming the operation to find out what others have said about them, that's what I did and I strongly believe I made the best possible choice, it might not have been the cheapest around but I got my moneys worth plus some.

I know this is an older post, but right here is the answer:

Directly from the most updated publication of MANMED Jan2012 Article 15-105 Section d (eyes) line 9.

"(9) Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK), laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK), LASEK, or intraocular lens implants (including Intraocular Collamer Lens Implants) within the preceding 3 months are disqualifying for candidates. Visual result from appliance orsurgery must meet the above corrected acuity standards and the patient must be discharged from ophthalmology follow-up with a disposition of “fit for full duty” and requiring no ongoing treatment. Qualified SO Service members may return to duty 1 month after refractive corneal or intraocular lens implant surgery if they are fully recovered from surgery and have an acceptable visual outcome. No waiver is required in these cases."

Keep in mind the 3 month wait applies to active duty candidate applicants. The 6 month wait applies for accession or non prior service applicants.
    Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
    U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
    2000 Trident Way, Building #401
    San Diego, CA 92155