Thread: Possible disqualification?

Possible disqualification?

Hello,
    I have been training(following the Physical Training Guide) for the past three weeks, and I believe I have a solid chance to get in the physical shape required of Bud/s, because I do well in the different areas considering I just started. Yet, let me point out that I have considered the SEAL lifestyle for over six months, and about a month ago became dead serious about going the distance. Now, I have a huge concern. I read on this site that middle ear surgeries are disqualifying, except for tympanoplasty. I had tubes put in my ear when i was around four. I believe that I currently have perfect hearing, and wonder if my tubes could disqualify me regardless. Is this an automatic disqualification? Or maybe can it be waived? I will greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you for your time.

Chad

Re: Possible disqualification?

Maybe I need to clarify, since there are no responses.
    Does a history of ear tube surgery, called Myringotomy, disqualify one from Seals?
    I am sorry if this is a repeat question that's been answered elsewhere. I am just desperate to know and have spent a lot of hours trying to find the answer for myself.
    Thank you in advance for any help you can give

Short answer - No it is not disqualifying.

If you review the MANMED (http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/D...corporated.pdf) you'll see on page 15-30 they have a section for ears.

It states "Current or history of chronic otitis media
    (382), cholesteatoma (385.3), or history of any inner
    (P20) or middle (PI9) ear surgery (including cochlear
    implantation), excluding myringotomy or successful
    tympanoplasty is disqualifying."

Wow not sure how I missed that.Thank you greatly for your time sir!

This is up in the air considering that the reason they want you to have healthy ears is for equalizing. Hearing is a obvious must, but when you go to certain depths even only as deep as 10 meters, you need to be able to pinch your nose and blow into it to equalize your ears and sinus cavity. I have no idea if your ear tube surgery is disqualifying, I'd imagine that if you've been on an airplane and had your ears pop, then you should be fine. Then again in the air and under water is probably different.