Thread: Kettlebell workout

Question Kettlebell workout

Since I have not seen it discussed anywhere on these forums I would like to bring up the topic of kettlebells and ask if anyone here has used them before. I myself have only tried them in the gym recently and have read some stuff about them online. So to anyone who has trained with them before , are they a good way to build strength? And would they prepare us for what we can expect at BUD/S? In general, would you recommend them? Thanks

Re: Kettlebell workout

Cannot recommend completely, though throwing in a few kettle bell exercises here and there is alright to break up the monotony of training. I think the 3 main exercises of the kettle bell are the KB clean & press, KB swing, and the turkish get up and those don't do enough to SPECIFICALLY train for the rigors of BUD/S. But no one exercise set does. Push-ups are one of many exercises needed in a candidates arsenal, as are sit ups and pull ups.

The kettle bell is mostly a fad workout system. It's like the MMA guys selling doorway hung gym systems, or TRX, or blah blah blah. While I do think TRX is one of the more useful fad workout systems/gear sets out there, all they do is let you work your muscles. Whatever tools you use to get YOURSELF in BUD/S condition is the appropriate set of tools to use, whether it be paper clips and rubber bands, dumbbells/barbells, or kettle bells. You could use TRX to get in BUD/S shape, or kettle bells, or P90x, or jenny craig... but until you pass the PST (Physical Screening Test) with ~9 minutes on the swim and run, and ~80 push/sit and ~15+ pull ups it doesn't matter if you're in BUD/S condition or not.

You have to pass the PST to get in, so... I would recommend doing push/sit/pull ups and running and swimming (the ONLY things they test you on in the PST). Those are cheap or free, depending if you have a public pool, running shoes, and a park nearby; and kettle bells ain't cheap. But I'm poor so there you go. You could also download the physical training guide from this website, designed FOR like minded candidates such as yourself by Navy SEALs.... also free.

I understand the importance of the PST, although I disagree that you should only train specifically for it, but that is not what the question was targeted at. I was thinking about trying kettlebells for most of the upper and lower body strength training (and I heard it was good at core training too). Push-ups and pull-ups I do daily, swimming and running 3-4 times a week each, same with sit-ups. I never wanted it to sound like I was ONLY considering kettlebells as my means of training, that would be stupid. I just want someone who has tried them before, or knows someone who has, to either be able to recommend them or warn against them.

Ryknow

My mom has one of those and she told me theres a work out that works your lower back out. I usually use it for just squats but I just hold that squat position for like a minute or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Awhyte88 View Post
    KB swings, snatches, cleans, clean/press, thrusters, Turkish get-ups, squats, push presses, etc
    You can do all of those with a dumbbell already, just hold on to the sides of the dumbbell (must be wide and flat, such as ones found in gyms) for the swings, everything else is still doable with a dumbbell I think. And dumbbells are for some reason MUCH cheaper. One thing that's hard to do with dumbbells is like a russian swing where you switch hands and let the KB fly in the air at eye level, forget what you call that.

I have always called it a hand switch KB swing. The one thing about KB's is the weight is distributed differently than a dumbbell, making the motions and balance a little different. But they are similar.

Alright, I will try the Kettlebells and see how it goes for the next few months. After that I suppose I can leave my personal experience here for anyone in the future who might be interested.