Thread: ITBS

ITBS

There are already multiple posts about various knee pains but none that address a specific question I have.

I have recently been diagnosed with a slight case of ITBS and after about a mile, the outside of my knee gets a deep pain (right where the IT band connects to the outside of the knee). I am doing physical therapy and I have also watched the video on this site discussing knee pain and prevention, and I am doing all those stretches daily. My question is for anyone who has dealt with this pain and overcome it. How long from the time you started doing the excercises and stretches to combat this pain did it take before you were able to start running again pain free (or even almost pain free)? I have done all kinds of research but most people who post things like this on runner's websites have the luxury of taking months off and we do not. I am pretty impatient and always want and expect immediate results .

So to sum it up, if you have had this problem and overcome it, please let everyone know what kind of excersises worked best for you, and how long it took before you were up and running again.

Thanks and HOOYAH

Re: ITBS

I actually was thinking about asking the same question on here. I have had ITBS for 5 weeks now. I can tell you that trying to run on it is useless. For me, I got so fed up of not running that I went out for just a 1.5 mile slow jog and pushed through the pain, however, that night my knee locked up and I could barely walk the next day. Foam rollers, lots of stretching and icing has helped a lot, but I still can't do much with my leg still...

It is incredibly frustrating to not be able to run, and I quite literally feel your pain. So truly, anyone who has had this, please offer up some advice, it will help multiple people.

"What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." - Alexander Graham Bell

I had it a few years ago (before I was training for BUD/s). I was told that if I did absolutely no lower leg activity it would take 2-3 months to go away, or if I kept my fitness up with biking or swimming it would take 4-6 months. That seemed to be the consensus on all the running forums I looked at too. Luckily, for me, this turned out to not be true. I dropped running and upped my martial arts for cardio (probably pretty hard on knees), did more lower leg lifting to stabilize my knee, and took glucosamine tablets. I was good to go 2 months latter. When I lifted I focused on hip abductor, adductors, and the inner quad. In retrospect, I wouldn't take glucosamine (new studies suggest that the tablets cause your body to stop producing it naturally). IMPO, recovery varies by the individual but I wouldn't run at all until the ITBS is fully gone. Might also want to make sure you have the right running shoes for your foot type.

Hope this helps man.

Good luck

The videos on this site are great for helping with ITBS... They focus on strengthening glute medius, which is the main culprit... There are newer studies looking at stretching versus strengthening, and strengthening was far superior. The exercises given here are similar to what I do with my patients... I would stop running until pain free, ice multiple times a day, and start strengthening immediately. Feel free to pm me if you need further help...

I have the answer to your problem. Foam roller. It's worth the money and really does work if you put some time into it.

Foam rollers help to break up scar tissue and possibly stretch the itb, but at the end of the day it will likely return if you don't correct the underlying issues... Especially when you get on the sloped beaches...

Just gonna second what iamtaliesin said. I had a mild case of ITBS last summer, took a break from running for 2-3 weeks and started foam rolling my IT band and have had zero IT band problems since. I do stretches and such as well, but really a foam roller is worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by mcass View Post
    The videos on this site are great for helping with ITBS... They focus on strengthening glute medius, which is the main culprit... There are newer studies looking at stretching versus strengthening, and strengthening was far superior. The exercises given here are similar to what I do with my patients... I would stop running until pain free, ice multiple times a day, and start strengthening immediately. Feel free to pm me if you need further help...
    Could someone share those videos? I just started running again after a long time and I'm getting pain in my knee. I'm currently just trying to figure it out (I honestly don't know if it is ITBS), and hopefully fix the problem sooner rather than later.

Thanks guys

SEAL Senior Chief

Check out the video labeled “Knee pain”

http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-i...revention.aspx

Senior Chief

I'm pretty sure I just got this-_- I rested all last week for running then today I ran 3 miles and now my knee is killing me. If anyone can send me a link twosome stretches it would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by WAC View Post
    There are already multiple posts about various knee pains but none that address a specific question I have.

I have recently been diagnosed with a slight case of ITBS and after about a mile, the outside of my knee gets a deep pain (right where the IT band connects to the outside of the knee). I am doing physical therapy and I have also watched the video on this site discussing knee pain and prevention, and I am doing all those stretches daily. My question is for anyone who has dealt with this pain and overcome it. How long from the time you started doing the excercises and stretches to combat this pain did it take before you were able to start running again pain free (or even almost pain free)? I have done all kinds of research but most people who post things like this on runner's websites have the luxury of taking months off and we do not. I am pretty impatient and always want and expect immediate results .

So to sum it up, if you have had this problem and overcome it, please let everyone know what kind of excersises worked best for you, and how long it took before you were up and running again.

Thanks and HOOYAH
    I went to the Dr and i was diagnosed with ITBS in the knee i had a Marathon in two weeks and I had really bad knee pain (even when walking) and so i didn't run, iced 3x a day, got a sports massage, foam rolled 2-3x a day along with stretching, took anti-enflammitories, prayed, and took whats called Shark Cartilage. It was time for my marathon two weeks later and I taped my knee and wore a knee brace and i was able to run the whole 26.2 pain free! my time was slower, but I was able to run the whole thing. Everybody's body is different , I healed in 2 weeks.Take it or leave it but thats how I did it.
    "Do not let your hands become weak, for your work shall be rewarded" - 2 Chronicles 15:7

I have one question. I have watched the videos and i know about the foam roller stretch. Are there any other stretches you could do besides the ones said in the video that would help the IT band.
    Thanks, Josh
    Knowledge is power, and its very lightweight
    RIP Chris Kyle April 8th, 1974 - February 2nd 2013

i had ITBS for a while..it sucks. just use the foam roller and ice. you can also do playboys...or one i like to do is...you grab your ankle with both hands and pull up (infront of your body) your leg should be parallel with the ground or slightly higher
    "When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."- Tecumseh