Thread: Living arrangements

Post Living arrangements

Just a couple of questions.

Where will my residence be while at BUD/s Prep and BUD/s?
    Will I be in the barracks during the whole duration or will I be able to live off base?
    After BUD/s graduation, will I be stationed on a Naval base or will I have to move around to various locations based on my training subjects?
    I know that after BUD/s there are many different things that need to be learned. I'm just wondering what the traveling is going to be like. Thanks.

Ryknow

Re: Living arrangements

I think in the barracks. The instructors have to wake you up and harass you lol. Traveling though you can say will be amazing no doubt about it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by gonnabeaSEAL View Post
    Just a couple of questions.

Where will my residence be while at BUD/s Prep and BUD/s?
    Will I be in the barracks during the whole duration or will I be able to live off base?
    After BUD/s graduation, will I be stationed on a Naval base or will I have to move around to various locations based on my training subjects?
    I know that after BUD/s there are many different things that need to be learned. I'm just wondering what the traveling is going to be like. Thanks.
    There is a barracks at the Naval Training Center for NSW Prep students. BUD/S students also live in the barracks, although if you have dependent family members you may apply for off-base housing after Hell Week.

Like all Sailors, you will either live in base quarters, military housing (usually off base), or in the local community near your assigned unit. Nothing changes when you travel to other locations for training or deployment. If you change duty stations from one unit to another in a different geographic region for a new tour of duty, then you will move into housing in the area of your new assignment.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
    John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know at what point in my training that I start getting Basic Allowance for Housing? If I'm at BUD/s training, do I get money for an apartment/house that my wife could stay in close by? Or would she have to wait until after Hell Week when I applied to live off base?

SEAL Senior Chief

If you are married, you receive BAH. While in BUD/S prior to Hell week EVERYONE stays in the barracks. After Hell week you are free to live out in town with your spouse. If you are not married you will continue to live on base through SQT. Following SQT the majority of guys move out into town (when they check into their first command), you are not eligible for base housing unless you are married. There are barracks available for single sailors but most guys do not use them.

As Mr Williams mentioned this is pretty standard for all sailors, generally single junior enlisted sailors stay in the barracks but SEALs tend to live off base.

Senior

Quote Originally Posted by SEAL Senior Chief View Post
    If you are married, you receive BAH. While in BUD/S prior to Hell week EVERYONE stays in the barracks. After Hell week you are free to live out in town with your spouse. If you are not married you will continue to live on base through SQT. Following SQT the majority of guys move out into town (when they check into their first command), you are not eligible for base housing unless you are married. There are barracks available for single sailors but most guys do not use them.

As Mr Williams mentioned this is pretty standard for all sailors, generally single junior enlisted sailors stay in the barracks but SEALs tend to live off base.

Senior
    Senior Chief,

I am not sure whether this is somewhere on the forum, but just for the sake of conveniance: I have been reading alot about the length of Navy SEAL deployments but have had some trouble finding updated consistant information. I have heard ranges from 1 month deployments to 1 year deployments, with semi-frequent contact, "...several e-mails and IMs a week and a couple phone calls..." to "He gets the call in the middle of the night and, without saying goodbye, leaves for six months with little to no contact." Therefore, I figured the best way to find the facts and cut the bull is from an actual SEAL himself. My girlfriend and I fully intend on getting married and she totally supports my decision to pursue the Navy SEAL program. However, we would both like to be well informed as to the amount of time that she can expect me to commit during deployments and the frequency of my deployments to be prepared for our seperations, regardless of length.

Thank you in advance,
    Future Navy SEAL: AUSTIN R. GARMER
    Jesus Christ is the Lord the Way the Truth and the Life... Got salvation?