Thread: Allergies to dairy

sealN

Question Allergies to dairy

I want to be in the Seals, but I'm allergic to dairy (milk, cheese). Are you still able to join the Seals, or any military branch/special forces team if you are allergic like that? I wonder if the food they serve have dairy in it. If you know, please help.

Re: Allergies to dairy

1. A Seal is a water mammal.
    2. Your user name implies that you are a SEAL.

sealN

Okay, yeah, i guess, but I am obviously not a seal (animal), because seals (animal) can't write. Second, I WANT to be a seal (navy), but i'm not one yet.

Check here -
    http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/D...%202012%29.pdf

Seals are sea mammals

SEALS are sea air and land operators

sealN

Thanks. It says that: "Current history of severe allergic reaction or anaphylaxis to environmental
    substances or any foods is disqualifying. Any
    allergy with life threatening manifestations is
    disqualifying." But, I don't think mine are life threatening. If they aren't life threatening, are they still disqualifying? If it is, is there a waiver for that?

sealN

And now that I think about it, why would they not allow allergies to dairy? Besides not being able to eat the food they serve, (I bet they could easily do something about that), what else would ban them? Are the bad people in other countries, (I don't want to say taliban in case that offends someone), going to throw cheese at me?

Quote Originally Posted by sealN View Post
    And now that I think about it, why would they not allow allergies to dairy? Besides not being able to eat the food they serve, (I bet they could easily do something about that), what else would ban them? Are the bad people in other countries, (I don't want to say taliban in case that offends someone), going to throw cheese at me?
    What if you did get exposed or ingested a dairy product in the field? Then what? do you fail the mission? Allergies are a risk to yourself, your teammates, and your mission. If you have an allergic reaction it can compromise your whole team, which is why allergies are a DQ. A severe allergy would be a big risk especially to something so common. I don't know at what level allergies are not considered severe but it should be common sense that you're whole job shouldn't be compromised by a glass of spilled milk.

You'll probably be banned for your username because you haven't earned it. You should make a new account with an appropriate username. I know it may seem trivial to you, but there is a lot of pride in that title and it's always in all capital letters (SEAL not seal, Seal, etc). I don't think your posts are bad intentioned or offensive, but your second and last do make you seem ignorant, just so you're aware.
    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

This is something that I can't exactly give you an answer on how the Navy prepares the food at BUD/S and RTC and Prep. Even MRE's could have some dairy based product, I would look into what type of dairy is in the food in the Navy dude. If you want it bad enough, I would not mention it, if something does happen and you have a reaction, it won't be extremely severe because it's not like you're consuming dairy directly, it'll usually be a small amount used for something, again I don't know exactly how they prepare the food.

If it was me, I wouldn't mention it unless you had to swim through a pool of milk at BUD/S.

SEAL Senior Chief

Quote Originally Posted by sealN View Post
    I want to be in the Seals, but I'm allergic to dairy (milk, cheese). Are you still able to join the Seals, or any military branch/special forces team if you are allergic like that? I wonder if the food they serve have dairy in it. If you know, please help.
    Allergies to food are normally disqualifiers, only a MEPS doctor could give you a particular answer but it will most likely be no.

Senior

I have allergies to dairy as well. I am currently in high school, and I'm pretty sure I will lose my allergies by the time I graduate from college. Is that okay? Like, if I have had allergies, but lose them by the time I apply for a SEAL challenge contract or whatever, will they still let me into BUD/S?

Unfortunately it is difficult to tell whether you will, and if so when, lose an allergy to anything. Some do, my hayfever is nowhere near as bad it used to be (mostly through exposure to different regions of the country during allergy season IMO), but often food allergies are harder to lessen the effects of. I've seen it done but not often. Good luck though, I hope you can shake it.

Smile Re: Allergies to dairy

Thanks. I do too.

I'm going to refer you to a book and I will provide a link below where you can purchase it through amazon. It is important to understand the cause of food intolerances so you can eventually reverse the condition and be relieved of any symtoms. Ignore the title because what's important for you is the detailed diet plan for sealing and healing the gut linning. If you have a leaky gut or permeability in your digestive tract, certain food particles like Lactose in dairy for example, can pass through your stomach and enter your bloodstream causing an autoimmune reaction or allergie. Im not a doctor obviously and this is just information i've picked up, but the author does have a Phd. and explains most of what I've said scientifically, also providing references to support her research. Maybe this will help buddy, I suggest you use google to read up on leaky gut, digestive enzymes, and there connection to food allergies... Good luck. I hope this isn't breaking any forum rules, I'm not trying to sell him. Let me know if I'm wrong and I will remove the link and book reference from the post.

http://www.amazon.com/Psychology-Syn.../dp/0954852028
    "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

I've talked to recruiters with this same question. Can you join the Navy being lactose intolerant? All have answered by saying sure, just don't say anything and stay away from the foods that make you sick while in training. The allgery to dairy isn't life threatening and takes common sense to prevent allergic reactions. I no i'll take some slack for saying this, but some things are better to keep qiuet. IMO. Good luck and train hard.

Thanks. Yeah, the only thing I'm worried about is the cafeteria food. I talked to a recruiter, and he said the cafeteria people (for lack of a better name), won't make any "special foods". I can just stay away from the "cheezy pizza delight with extra cheese" stuff, but what if there is something that they serve and has dairy in it, but I don't know? Do I go up to the cafeteria guy and ask? (Blow my cover). This is all assuming that I don't lose my allergies by then. Anyways, thanks for your help.

Okay, I've viewed this thread a few times, but have been hesitant to post because I was unsure of certain details. Now that I see stingray's post, please let me explain something.

Being allergic to dairy isn't the same thing as being lactose intolerant. An allergic reaction to food is when you can't even be near that food because if you make contact with it, the symptoms of an allergic reaction will take place (swelling, constricted air ways, etc.)

However, Lactose Intolerance is different. Problems are only brought about should you consume enough lactose (because certain amounts are tolerable).

If you have lactose intolerance, you'll be fine. How do I know? I have lactose intolerance and I'm in the Navy. It's not fraudulent enlistment because it's not an allergy. You could shower me in milk and I would be fine. Consuming large quantities of it is the problem. Let me allay some fears though by putting out some of my experiences.

I was nervous about the whole "shut up and eat this because it's all you're going to get" food situation too. My recruiter said that it wouldn't be a problem and it wasn't. I got to boot camp, picked foods that didn't look to be smothered in any sort of cream sauce or anything that might have milk in it and I never had a problem. Hell, the night after battle stations when you get a pizza party for dinner, my Chief sent me to another building's galley (because the only thing ours was serving that night was pizza) in order to get something else to eat because I told him that I was lactose intolerant.

A-school is no different, except you will only have MORE food choice options to choose from because you don't HAVE to eat at the galley.

Therefore, if you have lactose intolerance, you'll be fine. Just don't bring it up at MEPS like it's going to be an issue because as long as you know what makes you sick and what you can safely eat, you will be fine, trust me. If you honestly think that it's going to be a problem and prevent you from doing your duties, then don't enlist. My family did and even I thought it would, but here I am one year later and I've only "messed up" two or three times by eating the wrong food, but I blame that on the galley throwing curve balls at me every once in a while and that one time where I ingested CLP.... ....yeah, don't do that.

heal your gut and cure yourself, so you can stop worrying about this and move on.
    "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, I'm allergic, not lactose intolerant. If I drink or eat dairy, I will have an allergic reaction.

Oh...then yeah, that's disqualifying for military service.

Okay. Thanks for the help. I might outgrow it, my allergen says it's getting better, but it'll still take a few years. Thanks again for the help.