Thread: Swimming on the PST

Swimming on the PST

On the swim portion of the PST, are you allowed to do underwater kicks or underwater pullouts after pushing off of the wall? I've read the official rules and procedures, and it doesn't say anything about being able to do that or not. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Re: Swimming on the PST

Yes, you just can't do a flip turn.
    Last edited by Admin; 05-29-2012 at 05:10 PM.

is there a limit as to how far you can go underwater? What i mean is would I be allowed to do multiple underwater pulls and kicks before reaching the surface. Thanks again!

Yeah dude, they don't care if you can clear half the pool every push off, you would only be swimming 250 yards. But what is the advantage after a certain point time-wise you know? I would do a good strong push off with hands in front eyes looking at the bottom, streamlined, do a pull out with a dolphin kick, and come up with a frog kick and bring your arms forward to begin sidestroke, or just ignore the frog kick. You want it to be quick if you're doing another pull out underwater, your momentum is probably dying down, and you're not going to get much out of that extra pull out when you can go into the CSS and get kicking. 4-5 scissor kicks is a good number to aim for to get across the pool after the push off.

The further you can get off the wall and the faster you can get there, the better....... within reason.

The problem is oxygen debt. You aren't breathing underwater and you are burning up all the O2 that you took in back at the wall. If you go too far into this debt, it has to be paid back mid-pool (where it matters most), and at the end of it all you will not have accomplished anything.

You will see (short) videos of people doing extended, looooong underwater breakouts on 1 or 2 pool lengths and attempting to extrapolate that into a "theoretical PST swim time." It doesn't work that way because as you burn more O2 in later laps, you will not be able to maintain that long underwater breakout.

--Fargo007

Not trying to step on anyones toes, or speak like I have been there. I have not. Yet......

Your most efficient time during ANY swimming stroke is your underwater portion including your pullout. You will never swim as fast as on the surface as you can during a streamlined proper pullout and kick technique. Yes does it deplete your O2 levels? Sure, but so does breathing every single stroke while on the surface. Rapid breathing starts to oxygenate your blood, and deplete your CO2 levels in the body, since this effect fakes your brain into thinking you are not struggling for oxygen when you indeed are, you will begin to fatigue and slow.

That is why one of the most important aspects to the actual swimming stroke, is learning how to master Controlled Frequency Breathing (hypoxic breath.) This will help your stamina and help increase your lap times (and overall time) while tiring your body less at the end. Breathing too much during your swim is just as bad if not worse than holding your breath underwater and coming up mildly out of breath. Not to mention controlled breathing will help your 50m underwater, and any underwater evolutions. Please Note: I am not giving instructions on holding your breath or anything along those lines. Anyone who knows anything about swimming, water polo, tri athletes, open water swimmers etc... know about Controlled breathing. This is a technique taught across the board by all coaches and instructors. If you need to take a breath, take a breath, don't force yourself to hold your breath. Slowly work your way up swimming freestyle and breath every 3, 5, 7, 9 strokes etc... learning to swim CSS on both sides and how to breath both directions (on freestyle) will greatly improve your overall CSS and any other swimming stroke.

My source: My 18 years as a competitive swimmer. (Private, Public, and Masters as I aged!)

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf_AZ View Post
    Not trying to step on anyones toes, or speak like I have been there. I have not. Yet......

Your most efficient time during ANY swimming stroke is your underwater portion including your pullout. You will never swim as fast as on the surface as you can during a streamlined proper pullout and kick technique. Yes does it deplete your O2 levels? Sure, but so does breathing every single stroke while on the surface. Rapid breathing starts to oxygenate your blood, and deplete your CO2 levels in the body, since this effect fakes your brain into thinking you are not struggling for oxygen when you indeed are, you will begin to fatigue and slow.

That is why one of the most important aspects to the actual swimming stroke, is learning how to master Controlled Frequency Breathing (hypoxic breath.) This will help your stamina and help increase your lap times (and overall time) while tiring your body less at the end. Breathing too much during your swim is just as bad if not worse than holding your breath underwater and coming up mildly out of breath. Not to mention controlled breathing will help your 50m underwater, and any underwater evolutions. Please Note: I am not giving instructions on holding your breath or anything along those lines. Anyone who knows anything about swimming, water polo, tri athletes, open water swimmers etc... know about Controlled breathing. This is a technique taught across the board by all coaches and instructors. If you need to take a breath, take a breath, don't force yourself to hold your breath. Slowly work your way up swimming freestyle and breath every 3, 5, 7, 9 strokes etc... learning to swim CSS on both sides and how to breath both directions (on freestyle) will greatly improve your overall CSS and any other swimming stroke.

My source: My 18 years as a competitive swimmer. (Private, Public, and Masters as I aged!)
    Agreed...100%. Also was a competitive swimmer for 15+ years.