Thread: vision disqualification

vision disqualification

I know there is a lot of info out there on this subject, but a lot of it is contradicting, so I just want a concrete answer.

If you originally don't meet the 20/40 best eye 20/70 worst eye vision requirements, but you get surgery and it is corrected to 20/20 both eyes, does that qualify you? Or would you still be disqualified from not meeting the original requirements? My current understanding is that you would be, but it doesn't make sense to me why you would be disqualified if the end result is the same.

Re: vision disqualification

Quote Originally Posted by j dawg View Post
    I know there is a lot of info out there on this subject, but a lot of it is contradicting, so I just want a concrete answer.

If you originally don't meet the 20/40 best eye 20/70 worst eye vision requirements, but you get surgery and it is corrected to 20/20 both eyes, does that qualify you? Or would you still be disqualified from not meeting the original requirements? My current understanding is that you would be, but it doesn't make sense to me why you would be disqualified if the end result is the same.

Yes...if your eyes are 20/20 post surgery with no complications you should be good to go. After you have had the surgery your post surgery vision becomes your new "uncorrected vision" because it is your vision WITHOUT the use of contacts or glasses.

Say person A has 20/400 20/200 vision. Pretty blind and obviously doesn't qualify. Person A then get's PRK surgery done. After 6 months his vision is now 20/20 is both eyes. Since person A's uncorrected vision is now 20/20 he is now eligible since he falls under the 20/40 20/70 standards.

Even if your eyes aren't quite at 20/20 post surgery that doesn't mean that you're out of luck. As long as your eyes are better than 20/40 20/70 post surgery and can still be corrected to 20/20 with glasses/contacts then you meet the requirements.

Re: vision disqualification

Thank you. Made my day!