Thread: Flutter kicks

Flutter kicks

In my an workout I include flutter kicks but 80% of the time I get a pain in my left groin while doing the motion. What is this? How do I fix it ?
    Also I get lower bAck pains from funning sometimes and the muscles just get sore how can I prevent this? I did buy new running shoes. Thanks

Re: Flutter kicks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanhanlon View Post
    In my an workout I include flutter kicks but 80% of the time I get a pain in my left groin while doing the motion. What is this? How do I fix it ?
    Let me see if I can help you out.

So you do flutter kicks (good idea!) and when you do the "flutter kick motion" you feel pain in your left groin. You want to know what it is, right? Well, its pain in your left groin. No one has created the capability to medically diagnose anyone over the internet yet. If it is actual pain then go to the doctor. There is no "way to fix it", if it hurts then don't do it anymore. If its just sore then suck it up, being sore is not a bad thing. It means your working hard. Pain IS a bad thing and you shouldn't be causing yourself any actual physical pain. If you are causing yourself pain then you are either performing the exercise wrong, not stretching enough, or need to see an actual doctor.

Make one day a week just for stretching. And stretch properly before every workout you do.

P.S. Use proper grammar and more people will answer your questions. If you can't write the word running correctly and rush when you type your question then why should anyone take the time to give you an answer you can understand.
    "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." --Winston Churchill

If you have back pain 99% chance that your back isn't flat on the floor. WHen you're doing flutter kicks, you should have your hands under your butt so that the arch of your back is FLAT against the floor. Look up some info on " flutter kick form. " also, the groin thing... Do you mean your hip flexors ? If so, you should probably stop a few reps after they start to hurt, because you're no longer working your abs, and can actually just over-use your hip flexors. GROIN is vauge, and could mean many things. Such as a testicular hernia ? lol Just look up form, it should solve the back problem at least.
    .. hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Jakem View Post
    If you have back pain 99% chance that your back isn't flat on the floor. WHen you're doing flutter kicks, you should have your hands under your butt so that the arch of your back is FLAT against the floor. Look up some info on " flutter kick form. " also, the groin thing... Do you mean your hip flexors ? If so, you should probably stop a few reps after they start to hurt, because you're no longer working your abs, and can actually just over-use your hip flexors. GROIN is vauge, and could mean many things. Such as a testicular hernia ? lol Just look up form, it should solve the back problem at least.
    .. hope that helps
    Don't really try to keep you back flat per say but more like keep you chest up and your shoulder blades off the ground. But thats just a suggestion because I'm assuming it is your lower back you cannot keep planted on the ground not your upper back.

Anyway hope that helps by putting it in perspective for you.

Gordon

Gordon I couldn't disagree with you more. No reason to keep chest up or shoulder blades off the ground.

Ryan, you've probably got tight interior hamstrings. Do a butterfly stretch, where you sit Indian-style but with the bottom of your feet pressed together and then push your knees to the ground. You can also do a standing side split stretch. Anything that gets your knees out and stretching that interior area, if that's what is feeling tight. Make sure you flutter kick with legs locked or very nearly locked and toes pointed straight up, also toes pointing out is awesome (by pointed out, I mean pointed away from you, the foot should always be straight up). If those form checks and stretches don't help you, something is physiologically amiss, and I would recommend a doctor inspect your groin area.

As for your lower back hurting when you run (funning = running?), it's form I'll bet. Strengthen your entire core with the PTG core routine before you run, that ought to help. Don't over extend the low back area and run with an arch, you'll eff your back up. You could also have scoliosis, but I don't know you or your conditions so that whole "go to the doctor" thing may apply here as well. If you're flutter kicking with your feet turned way out at 10 and 2, you might be flat footed, or have tibial torsion, basically where crap is turning out that shouldn't be, and it's hurting you upstream (higher up on your body). So that bad foot positioning could be working its way up past your knees and hips and into your low back, but that's a big "if". Check the form, strengthen the core, and place those feet straight forward, then go from there. Good hunting.

groin wise you could have a hernia or just a weak groin. and back wise you just need to work it out and push through it. You're probably beginning right now so running and keeping you back up the whole time can put stress on the lower back. If I were you I would do a groin exercise on a machine at the gym to figure out if its just week or if you have a problem and there are plenty of lower back exercises at the gym.

I had the same problem but what I did to fix it was stretch, A LOT haha

Quote Originally Posted by Atromos View Post
    Gordon I couldn't disagree with you more. No reason to keep chest up or shoulder blades off the ground.
    By my words I meant to not put a lot of pressure from your upper back to the ground and cause that unnatural spine bend that pushes out your chest not keep your chest off the ground... Sorry for the confusion. By thinking of it this way you will probably keep your back flat or in a way that will not provoke injury.

Gordon

hank you the stretching helped

A Flutter kick is a propulsion technique used to get you used to SCUBA diving & swimming. It's a ground surface exercise for divers who are suffocating from being outside of the water. There are: scissor kicks, frog kicks, one legged kicks, ect...To become a good swimmer & diver you will eventually have to stretch that tight groin. I do splits (black belt). You are experiencing "muscle soreness" which is a medical condition due to being out-of-shape. A health professional would recommend you don't engage in the exercise but if you want to be a SCUBA diver your just gonna have to pull through it & build some muscles around that groin. -Hector 1st Place Navy Boot Camp PT test, 1st Place Navy base wide Captain's Cup 1999