Thread: AA Degree?

AA Degree?

I was talking to a veteran-Seabee last week in math lab here at the college, and we started talking about the navy and how I was interested in SWCC. The thing he suggested was to get my AA degree and then go in. Being that SWCC does not have an officer pipeline, and that (according to my research) Warrant Officers must be in the navy for 6 or 7 years, a rate of E-7 (or E-6 with the eligibility for E-7(?), would the AA degree help in any way? I've considered this option but I'm not sure if it would be of any help (I understand SWCC has an automatic advancement to E-4 upon completion of BCT and CQT?). I hope I made sense, I would hope for an answer specifically from some actually serving in the Navy, but other answers are fine. Thankyou.

Re: AA Degree?

Getting your education is a sound idea no matter what your rate is. Acquiring a degree before you enter the service isn't a bad idea either. Things can get a bit busy once you're in with all of the training and such that is involved and finding time to settle down for a few hours and hit the books can be quite difficult. Therefore, it never hurts to get a head start on something like this.

The Chief Warrant Officer program is for those who are Chief Petty Officers and above, or those 1st Class Petty Officers who are selected for Chief Petty Officer. I believe it's a minimum of 12 years of service though. 6 year Chief Petty Officers are quite unheard of, even in the elite communities. That's probably because of the way that exam cycles and Evaluation Reports work; it isn't very plausible (or even possible for that matter) to make CPO in just six years.

The SWCC program does provide automatic advancement to E-4 upon completion of training, but the study habits that you pick up from college can only help you when it comes to studying for your advancement exams.

Besides, if we are going to be honest here, your chain of command will push you to do college because it makes you a more well-rounded Sailor, and I couldn't agree more with that. There's nothing wrong with an educated man/woman in the enlisted ranks. If anything, it makes us a better Navy and a better military.

Best of luck!

-Barall

Thank you for the reply, it turns out that I need to get PRK, so the six months will push me into November, allowing me to complete my general education for a Marine Transportation degree and to really improve on my PST scores. not too far to go for the general ed though, I'm almost done with that. Thanks!

That's great to hear! Congratulations in advance and the best of luck to you!