Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100+ pushups

100+ pushups

If anyone who has hit this mark can help me out, i'm at 70 push-ups right now and 100 is a huge goal to me right now any advice regarding how people obtained these scores would be great, cause i hear earning everything with push-ups through the day and then i hear don't do push-ups all day for numbers just do them in sets at once for 3 day increments etc.. All help appreciated
    6'3-178lbs-17 - Future SEAL hopeful

Re: 100+ pushups

Quote Originally Posted by Jaren View Post
    If anyone who has hit this mark can help me out, i'm at 70 push-ups right now and 100 is a huge goal to me right now any advice regarding how people obtained these scores would be great, cause i hear earning everything with push-ups through the day and then i hear don't do push-ups all day for numbers just do them in sets at once for 3 day increments etc.. All help appreciated
    You could be lacking in 1 of 2 areas.
    You could not have the endurance to do 100 push-ups in 2 minutes. If this is the case you should focus on doing high reps. There are many different ways to do this so I won't go into specifics.

Or you could be lacking in the overall strength. Think of it this way, if you did bench press at 50% of your max you could do a lot more than if you tried 70% of your max. Therefore if you increase your overall strength the % of your max that a push-up is will decrease making them easier.

Personally I feel a lot of people do many push-ups but where they miss out is in strength. This allows you to do them very fast and pump out high numbers quickly, often before your endurance runs out. If you're looking for specific workouts, I can't help you there. There are many many different workouts you can do, but it comes down to you identifying your weakness and working on that specifically.

Here's an article I wrote on my blog it basically says what I just told you. http://jag5543.blogspot.com/p/test.html
    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

I was around 70-80 last July, then I went into a fire academy and we did a lot of holds in the down position, sometimes with 60+lbs of gear on, to the point of extreme wrist pain and a new darkened skin color in your palm due to the asphalt that was engrained into our hands, which didn't come off for a week. I retested my 2 min max after a month of that and I was at 133. Right now I'm doing between 100-120 depending on how rested my muscles are. So on some days do lots of holds, lots of negatives with weight, and on other days just bust out 5-700 in sets of 50, or whatever you can do.

Jag I've read numerous posts and blogs by you on both this site and navyseals.com as well and I find much of your information very useful. I recently posted on a thread there concerning the one arm shake out technique on the PST and a few people including iamtalisen (below) claim that it is either not allowed or is at the discretion of the mentor. Im curious is that just something that your mentor administering your PST happens to allow?

I've had a lot of success just doing the PTG. 3-4x 25-40 (Depending upon how slowly i do them). I think that if you just do 3-4 sets of 25+ while working the negative for ~2-3 seconds, while being very punctual about only taking a 2 minute break in between sets, you will be happy. A long time ago I used to do the stew smith 20x20 pushups or whatever, and/or pyramids totaling 500, but i never really got very high with my max. The workout on the PTG, while not only very time efficient, is much more challenging for me, and has given me by far the most gains. My max used to be 80, now it's ~110. I Guess i kind of plateaued around 95, and i think breaking this just came down to the strategy i used while taking the test. Obviously i go as fast as i can, end up getting to about 60 in less than a minute, then around 70 i start to feel it and hold the up position for a few seconds, and just keep busting them out in sets of 5-10. Having slightly wider hand placement, pointing my fingers slightly outward, and most importantly, not sticking my butt too high in the air are what help the most, for me. Especially the butt in the air thing, try playing around with that/have someone watch your form. If you raise your butt a little bit you should notice a huge weight transfer onto the front of your body (your arms/upper chest) which is obviously bad, and should be avoided. Lately I've been playing around with the idea of bench pressing, and think that that might help me some, as I'm adding weight to my pullup routine to kind of break my plateau there. Not really sure what your strength per body weight ratio is like there, i know that i can do 100+ pushups and bench my body weight about 8-10 times, if that gives you some comparison.
    In summation, i would advise sticking to the PTG pushup routine, not only for it's time-efficiency, but it's effectiveness as well-- i attribute all of my progress to it.
    If it's relevant, i'm 6'0 185lb

I agree with the above strength/endurance breakdowns. Here are a few of the exercises that helped me up my pushups from the high 80s about 6 months ago ago to 122 earlier this week:

Slow negatives on your pushups. If I do slow work, a single rep can take upwards of 5 seconds. Go for about a 4-count on the way down and then explode up. Sets of 15-20 reps to start should be plenty.
    DB Bench at varied angles (flat, decline, incline) with decently heavy weight. This will work lots of your stabilizing muscles and as you increase the weight give your overall strength a boost
    Ditto slow negatives with dips.
    Stew Smith's shoulder workout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlTMYrYT4hs) for great shoulder fatigue and development

Quote Originally Posted by ny roots View Post
    Jag I've read numerous posts and blogs by you on both this site and navyseals.com as well and I find much of your information very useful. I recently posted on a thread there concerning the one arm shake out technique on the PST and a few people including iamtalisen (below) claim that it is either not allowed or is at the discretion of the mentor. Im curious is that just something that your mentor administering your PST happens to allow?
    It's at the discretion of your mentor, the reason I posted that technique in the article was because it can be used on other tests, for example the marines are allowed to do this during their PFT. You may also find it useful in other situations, like max pull-up competitions or max hang competitions.

I can't tell you for sure if you'd be allowed to use this on the PST but many mentors do allow it.

I think you'll find using the one arm shakeout during workouts will help improve your grip strength as well.

Ny Roots, Look at the thread "Physical Standards Test Instruction". There a section in this thread that explains all of the correct procedures of the PST.

thanks for info all, and on that i think its my endurance cause i weigh 180 now and im at 210 on bench so far, thats not GREAT but its where im at, and when i do pushups i usually go fast and hit 50 and i get tired and just try to push out as many as i can till 2 mins is up and usuallly get 65-75 depending on the day, and when i do sets i have to do 30+ for 5+ sets or it just doesn't feel like a good workout but im kinda bad about pushing my workouts too far and doing alot of negatives which "i hear" leads to burn out which puts your max down and throws your routine off

thanks for info all, and on that i think its my endurance cause i weigh 180 now and im at 210 on bench so far, thats not GREAT but its where im at, and when i do pushups i usually go fast and hit 50 and i get tired and just try to push out as many as i can till 2 mins is up and usuallly get 65-75 depending on the day, and when i do sets i have to do 30+ for 5+ sets or it just doesn't feel like a good workout but im kinda bad about pushing my workouts too far and doing alot of negatives which "i hear" leads to burn out which puts your max down and throws your routine off
    Experiment with different break, rep, and set schemes and try different push-up variations. The more variation you have in your workout the longer it will take your body to adapt to a specific exercise. Do short breaks with small reps or just go to 2-300 and never leave leaning rest, do big sets with big breaks, do all sorts of different push-ups (Diamonds, Wide, Planche, Pike, Dive Bombers, etc) If you just do 30 reps for 5 sets every time you'll never make progress. Keep trying to bump your max strength up as well, 210 is ok, but you'll see the people who put out over 100 will bench more than you and the ones putting out 120+ will be max benching at least 285 probably closer to 315.

Make it your goal to never do the same push-up workout twice in a week or two. Variation is your friend.

Stick with it!

315 on bench for 120+ idt thats always the case bro i got a friend weighs bout 180 doin 100 and hes about where i am on bench he may just have more cardio idk but i can out run him and he out does me in pushups maybe its genetics lol, but thanks for all the info none the less

315 on bench for 120+ idt thats always the case bro i got a friend weighs bout 180 doin 100 and hes about where i am on bench he may just have more cardio idk but i can out run him and he out does me in pushups maybe its genetics lol, but thanks for all the info none the less
    I'm sure it's not always the case, but my max bench is 285 and I put out just under 120, I think it has a lot to do with people using poor form as well. If you train smartly I think you would have no problem greatly increasing your bench. I know this because I started helping my brother train who initially had a max of 175 and in 1.5 semesters (about 5 months) at school he now has a max of 205-215. That's without focusing on strength gains and only doing weight training 1-2x a week. He puts out the same numbers in push-ups as you do though and I know it's not an endurance issue.

The individuals I train with who put out good form 100 push-ups are all benching at least 235 for a max. Also you compared 100 pushups to 120+ There is a big difference there just so you know the individuals who put out those numbers almost always bench near 300. If your max is at 210 I don't believe your weakness is in the endurance realm I personally believe it's in the Strength. Obviously if you're 5 foot 3 and 120 lbs you could have significantly less strength and complete tasks like this easier, but at your height I don't believe you have that luxury.

At your height you're going to need a greater strength base to increase your push-ups so you can put them out fast and conserve your endurance. 100 is very attainable, but I think if you neglect your strength you'll find it very difficult to reach. You can put on a lot of strength with little to no weight gain as well so don't worry about putting weight on. I put out 70-75 in that first minute and that's what gets me the high numbers, I don't continuously knock out 1 push-up a second which endurance would dictate I do. If you can knock out 50 straight right now I think you could reach 100 on strength gains alone.

All my personal opinion, hope it helps.

thanks for info all, and on that i think its my endurance cause i weigh 180 now and im at 210 on bench so far, thats not GREAT but its where im at, and when i do pushups i usually go fast and hit 50 and i get tired and just try to push out as many as i can till 2 mins is up and usuallly get 65-75 depending on the day,
    Sounds a lot like me. About two to three months ago I was at 49-55 pushups in 2mins with a max bench of about 165 i think. I weighed about 150. Anyway I just started lifting weights with my friends doing bench press, dumbbell press at incline and flat, military dumbbell press, with other shoulder endurance exercises to alleviate shoulder pain if you have that problem and significantly increased in push ups and my max. I can 1RM 205 and I do 72-78 pushups in two minutes and doing 50 within the first 50 seconds just like you mentioned. For strength workouts I do 3 sets of 175lbs for 5 reps... followed by two more sets where I usually need a spot but thats how you get stronger. And I now weigh about 155-160. My endurance was on par, however my strength was lacking I believe. I also would do PST pushups sets in two mins with about 4mins rest in between and found this helped greatly as well.

Anyway I found that I significantly increased my reps by weight lifting not just doing pushups. Performing PST pushup sessions back to back for like 4 sets really helped as well. It sucked but it had to get done and it was fun seeing myself improving.

Anyway hope this helps and if you have any questions just let me know dood. Oh and I'm 5'9" 155lbs just for reference. lol

Gordon

Train for how the exercise is done.

In the body you have 3 energy systems

The Phosphocreatine system - Very short burst energy - around 10-20 seconds max

Here's where your sprinters and power lifters have an advantage because there sports are very intense, but very short. Training this system will build the power and speed and pure strength.

The Lactic Acid system - intermediate energy lasting around 2 minutes. This is where you need to have a good focus if you want to put out conistently for the PST in pushups and situps

Aerobic System - Long bouts of exercise.

The weight lifting will help you mainly increase the capacity of the first energy system. However, it's important to try to get a mix of rep ranges. While you would think a guy who benches 400lbs can do more pushups than a guy who benches 100 lbs, that's not always the case. If you have the power and strength of a good bench, you'll be able to knock out a good amount, but usually, you'll hit the wall quick and drop off because your other energy systems aren't usually trained as much.

I personally feel it's advantageous when weight lifting to work on a cycle or a program where you don't vary the exercises too much week to week, but vary the reps and weight. I.e. start with a weight that lets you do the most amount of reps for sets of 10 one week, then next week you would do 8 or so and add 10-15 lbs to the amount you used previously. This gives you a good mix of the muscular endurance and raw strength. However, still a set of 10 usually doesn't take more than 30 seconds on average, so you're still in the realm of the PCR system if you're only doing 1 set.

Here is where interval training comes into play and pyramids or as few sets as possible. The goal of these type of exercises are to keep recovery periods short (Lactic acid system has a quick turnaround) and keep putting out once the PCR system is depleted. I like doing as few sets of possible with a certain number. So pick a number (100) and try to get to it in as few sets of possible, with a relatively short recovery time. So doing 4 sets of 25 is better doing one set of 50 and then 5 sets of 10. Aim to decrease the amount of sets each week and then either decrease the recovery time or increase the total amount.

So depending on how your body is built you could need a boost in one of these.

yeah, i under stand what ya'll are saying i've been doing track and i have dropped 6 pounds when i weighed my self last night and earlier today i maxed bench again and its just under 200 now.. but my 1.5 mile increased a good 30 seconds over a month. I do 40 pushups every hour all week *except weekends* on top of all my workouts for 10 hrs so i'm not sure if that's helping or hurting. And for people who are in to lifting yes i'm doing 10 chin ups every hour to balance out the push and pull, should i not be doing this as a whole or is it good? For the last part only answer if you have a lil experience with that, thank you all for replying work hard men we got a lot of work till we're SEALs
    '

Pull ups don't really counteract the tightness of the front deltoids and pectoralis major and minor (from a metric *** load of pushups), the latissimus dorsi, the prime mover of the pull up, attaches into the upper arm and helps bring it down and somewhat back. To really counteract that front push, you've got to do some front pull (seated row, bent over row, dumbbell row, etc). And to counteract that downward pull, you should also incorporate some upward push (shoulders) to balance everything. Or at least that's my personal opinion. Ten chin ups every hour, huh? How is a pull up bar so available to you? Good stuff though. Forty push ups an hour is good, but you may also want to work on absolute strength for a week, here and there. Good luck, hope that was of some use.

Haha, yeah pull up bar.. no i use the side of the oning like a cover over the walk ways out side in my high school and it's on my way to my ag classes and i pass bye it on all my others but i use a pull up bar in the weight room after school. And if you're wondering if it feels awkward yes it does, but i go to a i think 2A school so not much to be embarrrased about. But totally under stand i need strength weeks, i have more major workouts a few times a week where i take a few days off of pushups and just focus on weights, so any idea how i would do a row type workout in school.. i really don't look forward to getting "rounded shoulders" and get a shoulder injury

Well inverted rows are pretty easy. Find any 2 stable platforms of the same height but 2-3 feet apart, put a bar spanning the gap, lay down on the floor and start pulling yourself up with a straight body. You can change grips to stimulate different areas and really squeeze the shoulder blades together to get the minor muscles firing. I've done them with a pair of crutches between 2 desks in the hospital I work at so you can basically use anything that will take your weight and be stable.

I get a ton of upright row, military press, lat raise etc to balance my shoulders while at school, and go home and do 150+ pushups over the course of the night, or a pyramid

if you are working to high reps you want to build endurance not strength, do high rep sets more than low rep slow sets