Thread: What is the average asvab score?

What is the average asvab score?

I just want to know for some reason.

Re: What is the average asvab score?

Whats up dude. Your brand new to the site and I welcome you. But there is one thing I'm going to ask you to do. It will help you and also help us guys that have been on here a while keep our sanity. READ EVERYTHING. Literally read every single thread on here, even if you don't think it pertains to you. This should take you like a week or two to do. Just please READ everything you can and then if you still have any questions feel free to post them. As far as your question, it doesn't matter at all. You know what scores you need to attain a contract so just make sure you get those scores. The scores I'm referring to are on this site so go find them. Good Luck.
    "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." --Winston Churchill

The ASVAB is a percentile-based aptitude test. Which means the scores aren't based on how well you did alone. The scores are based on how well everyone who has taken the test (since 1950, I believe) has done. Meaning the average score is 50. However, "average" is a long way from qualifying for NSW.

Okay, thanks. And I'll do that wizard, but what about all of the things that people post AFTER I read everything? Do I have to read that too?

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    And I'll do that wizard, but what about all of the things that people post AFTER I read everything? Do I have to read that too?
    Do whatever you want dude. Just trying to help you out...
    "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." --Winston Churchill

I know. Just joking.

Copied from this website:

AFQT results are returned as percentiles from 1-99. A score of a 50 would mean you were in the 50th percentile or have an average score. The Navy requires an AFQT score of at least 35. Men who succeed at BUD/S traditionally have AFQT scores of 78 or better.

Also the last stats I saw said that 30% of enlisted SEALs have a bachelors degree.

well saying 30% of about 2k SEALs? i think it was so i'm gonna guess 600 have bachelors but the average score for SEALs is around 78% but that doesn't mean there are not people with more or people with less keep in mind that's the average* not the best or the worst
    6'3-178lbs-17 - Future SEAL hopeful

Talking Re: What is the average asvab score?

best thing is to study hard and make the highests score you can . you can take it over to make a higher level score i think without excepting a passing grade.

Apparently I did very well i scored an 89, recruiters have been calling me all year. I took it like 2 years ago and had no idea, apparently that is 10 points less than perfect so I believe i made the minimum. A recruiter I talked to said the average score is in the 30s, but then again alot of not too bright people take that. But on the sealswcc main site it say the successful BUD/S graduate has a score around 78

The Average ASVAB is 50

Quote Originally Posted by BrettH View Post
    A recruiter I talked to said the average score is in the 30s
    That is incorrect, as previously mentioned, the tests places you on a percentile scale. a score of 50 is average.
    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

just from guys that I know that are going out for specops (I assume you mean that instead of general military) they're all around high 80's low 90's in terms of percentile.

Re: The Average ASVAB is 50

Quote Originally Posted by Jag5543 View Post
    That is incorrect, as previously mentioned, the tests places you on a percentile scale. a score of 50 is average.
    Not trying to start an argument here but the fact that it is by percentile does not dictate the average score unless it is weighted, which in this case would make little sense.

Carpe Jugulum de Vita

Quote Originally Posted by BrettH View Post
    Not trying to start an argument here but the fact that it is by percentile does not dictate the average score unless it is weighted, which in this case would make little sense.
    Yes, you're correct that test scores could be skewed high or low, but if you score a 50 then approximately half the participants did better and half did worse than you. So compared to the other participants, you did average. yes, technically a score of 50 would indicate you obtained the median score, but scoring in the middle just means you're average.
    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

"he AFQT score is a percentile score. What does that mean? In 1997, a study, known as the "Profile of American Youth," was conducted by the Department of Defense in cooperation with the Department of Labor. DOD administered the ASVAB to around 12,000 individuals, ranging in age from 16 to 23. Your AFQT score is a comparison of how well you scored on the four subtests, compared to those who took the ASVAB as part of the 1997 survey. In other words, if you have an AFQT score of 70, that means you scored as well or better than 70 percent of those 12,000 folks." - 5 seconds of googling