Thread: Switching Sides During the Swim?

Switching Sides During the Swim?

My friend and I have been practicing the regular side stroke for a couple months now, we shaved our times down to barely under ten minutes but have failed to get any faster for some time. I decided to switch to the Combat Side Stroke to see if it was any faster, it definitely will be an improvement as soon as I get used to the new style. However, I was wondering if during the PST if you had to use the same side for the whole 500 yards, or if you would be able to switch?

Re: Switching Sides During the Swim?

I prefer to switch every single lap no matter what.

I did not have a competitive swimming background when i started and I decided it would be best to be able to learn to be profecient with both sides instead of favoring one. My logic behind this, was that in order to do this profession you need to be comfortable in the water no matter what. I didn't want to have to train it all using my right side and then be screwed if I had to switch.

Since I did it this way, I carried it over to my PSTs and I switch every length. So I go down on the left and come back with the right or vice versa. I personally feel that it gives you some rest in between and allows you to keep a consistent pace.

Switch every lap in training, swim for the test 9/10 laps on my right side. I've timed it doing 50/50 splits, and I usually slow down by 15-20 seconds over a 500. However, when I do continuous LSDs, I would burn out significantly quicker if I wasn't switching sides.

I also switch per lap. Initially it was a way to make sure my left side was balanced to my right (I'm right handed and traditionally it has been my stronger side in general for most activities), however I've found that my left side primary stroke outdoes my right. I've done 50's, 100s, and 200s just to compare the 2 and have found pretty consistently that when I'm doing left arm as first pull I'm coming up with faster times. Haven't tried an all one side 500 yet but then again my 500 times have been pretty competitive just doing the switching routine. I'm working my way up to swimming a 500 easily on one side and the other for muscle endurance sake.

Thanks guys! I have been training with switching every lap. I was just wondering if during the PST you were required to use one side only.

Im confused as to why you are giving advice not to do any kind of side stroke during the PST?? Have you read nothing on this site??