Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying Awake

Staying Awake

I honestly dont worry that much about Hell Week because I passionately believe that it will take a bullet in the face to get me out of there, but how do people actually stay awake. And I know everyone will be like, "man its all mental strength", but at some point your body will literally just fall asleep whether you want it to or not. I know this from football, we are forced to get up real early and we have 3 a days, by the end of the day you are exhausted and there is a team meeting, you will literally find yourself drifting forward and falling into sleep, and have to wake yourself. How do people keep from falling asleep?

Re: Staying Awake

I think you just answered your own question.

You stay awake if you really want to, plus when you get to hell week you have 20 hour out of that whole week to use that time. So you can either sleep or eat.

It's pretty hard to fall asleep when you're constantly wet and your body temperature is bordering on hypothermic. That's what I've heard anyway. Seems like a reasonable assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Jew View Post
    You stay awake if you really want to, plus when you get to hell week you have 20 hour out of that whole week to use that time. So you can either sleep or eat.
    actually this is wrong. you have 4 hours of total sleep in the 5.5 days. one hour each session. if you sleep when youre supposed to be eating, you wont last long because your body will get no fuel to keep going.

to answer the question -- you really just have to force yourself into it. take it evolution by evolution or hour by hour. do whatever you can to keep moving.
    Jesus told them. “For I assure you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Oh sorry my bad i thought it was 4 hours a day.

that would be awesome...except then it wouldnt be called hell week. haha
    Jesus told them. “For I assure you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

I believe it was in "The Warrior Elite" and they talk about during their long hauls in the boats teams would take turns where one guy would nap and the others would paddle, giving everyone a chance for a little cat nap. It isn't much but come Wednesday and Thursday, it might just be enough. They also said that some guys would fall asleep while paddling and just fall out of the boat and get a chilly wake up call.

I read that in Lone Survivor too.

I haven't been to hell week but it's more than just learning to stay awake but also performing your job and paying attention to detail. People either adapt quickly, slowly or not at all to sleep & physical deprivation. You can't compare hell week to your experiences in football, not even close. Just don't go into a state of complacency, keep yourself busy constantly. Many times the "Complacency get's you killed." will play over and over in your head many times over. Imagine hell week plus doing bounding drills; making sure you cover your battle buddies, muzzle awareness, and your weapon on safety at all times. I would be focused on performance than anything. That's my two cents.

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm active and doing something, I can stay awake a whole lot longer than if I just sit there. I've also noticed if I've got an empty stomach, I get a whole lot more sleepy, so food helps. You're body also has a natural adrenaline response to lack of sleep and I'm sure this is only heightened when at BUD/S. I'm not saying that's how guys stay awake, but those things make it easier I'm sure.

The point isn't to weed out the tired but to see who will push through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaboy View Post
    The point isn't to weed out the tired but to see who will push through it.
    Is that what you saw when you were at BUS/s, during Hellweek?
    Just an old civilian...

You think the point of hell week is to see who gets tired so they can send them home? Are you kidding. I never said "from my experiance in training".... I know i'll be tired; I'll push through my fatigue until I succeed. I was implying that it's foolish and naive to think you wont be tired..

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaboy View Post
    You think the point of hell week is to see who gets tired so they can send them home? Are you kidding. I never said "from my experiance in training".... I know i'll be tired; I'll push through my fatigue until I succeed. I was implying that it's foolish and naive to think you wont be tired..
    I did not state the point of Hell Week, you did.

My only question was, "Have you been to Hell Week?". In my opinion, if you have been you might know, and if you have not, you should not give advice on the point of Hell Week.

I have not been and therefore will not tell anyone its point.
    Just an old civilian...

Advice on the point of hell week?? Your reading way too much into what you think i meant. I'm not all knowing; especially when it comes to BUD/s.

Poseidon

Quote Originally Posted by BrettH View Post
    I honestly dont worry that much about Hell Week because I passionately believe that it will take a bullet in the face to get me out of there, but how do people actually stay awake. And I know everyone will be like, "man its all mental strength", but at some point your body will literally just fall asleep whether you want it to or not. I know this from football, we are forced to get up real early and we have 3 a days, by the end of the day you are exhausted and there is a team meeting, you will literally find yourself drifting forward and falling into sleep, and have to wake yourself. How do people keep from falling asleep?
    I've read in a psychology book that after the 24 hour point of being awake a second wind comes. Don't think about anything though. Just do what's needed and you should be fine. I've also heard " you've got to want it" what ever that means...

hay can being a deep sleeper be fixed when i get to the seals?

Focus on winning, and doing your absolute best in each evolution. The little things add up, you will truly understand the saying "It pays to be a winner" during hell week. Micronaps are unavoidable, they'll last for a couple seconds while you're under a boat, or eating. Just worry about doing your best and looking out for your classmates. If you all work as one, nothing will go amiss. Eat as much as you can when you can, the calories will keep your body up to par with the requirements. This is the most extreme phase for sleep deprivation, but it shouldn't even phase you a tick. You're going to be sleep deprived during dive phase, and even worse during land warfare phase. I'm going to give you a little tip that's probably the biggest part of anyone's success at buds. It's all about your self talk, the conversation in your head. You just have to assure yourself that the suck will end soon. Always view the positive, never the negative. You need to see the silver lining in anything you do, waiting on that pool deck to do the 50yd swim you need to realize you have instructors there that don't want to see you die. They want to see you get through that evolution, and there's nothing to worry about. You just take your time, be as deep as you can be and double arm pull then frog kick, and repeat. Be enthusiastic, think positive, keep your classmates focused and positive. Have fun with it, don't think of it as such a chore, really have fun with it. You're doing stuff no one really gets to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Focus on winning, and doing your absolute best in each evolution. The little things add up, you will truly understand the saying "It pays to be a winner" during hell week. Micronaps are unavoidable, they'll last for a couple seconds while you're under a boat, or eating. Just worry about doing your best and looking out for your classmates. If you all work as one, nothing will go amiss. Eat as much as you can when you can, the calories will keep your body up to par with the requirements. This is the most extreme phase for sleep deprivation, but it shouldn't even phase you a tick. You're going to be sleep deprived during dive phase, and even worse during land warfare phase. I'm going to give you a little tip that's probably the biggest part of anyone's success at buds. It's all about your self talk, the conversation in your head. You just have to assure yourself that the suck will end soon. Always view the positive, never the negative. You need to see the silver lining in anything you do, waiting on that pool deck to do the 50yd swim you need to realize you have instructors there that don't want to see you die. They want to see you get through that evolution, and there's nothing to worry about. You just take your time, be as deep as you can be and double arm pull then frog kick, and repeat. Be enthusiastic, think positive, keep your classmates focused and positive. Have fun with it, don't think of it as such a chore, really have fun with it. You're doing stuff no one really gets to do.
    good post. I've never been to BUD/S and I'm not sure if you have or not, but I agree. You get to be tested in sort of an ultimate way. I almost look forward to Hell Week, with a "bring it on" attitude.