Thread: PRK After Enlisting

PRK After Enlisting

Ive recently enlinsted under the AG/SG (Oceanogrophy) rating and will trying to obtain a Navy Diver (ND) contract while in DEP. Do to my poor eye sight 20/200 correctable to 20/15 I cannot receive a SEAL contract before i ship out, I was wondering if anyone new the proper procedures for getting PRK surgery once ive enterd the navy. When should i put in a request? average waiting time for surgery? when can i Crossrate into another job after surgery? how to obtain SEAL contract while in the Navy? any kind of advice would be hepful thanks

Re: PRK After Enlisting

Once you check into your first command after boot camp and A-school, talk to the base optometrist about it (it's a Navy medical officer). I was personally told that the Navy doesn't do eye surgery overseas and that personnel would need to be sent TAD or use their leave time to go back to the states and get it done at another base. I was also told that the Navy looks for a candidate to be at least 21 years of age and have steady eyesight for at least a year before they allow said candidate to undergo corrective surgery.

After that, it has to be approved through your chain of command. If you just checked in though, they may want you to get the essential stuff out of the way first, such as qualifications and any other initial tasks.

The average wait time depends on what your rating is, where you're stationed, how many other people are also waiting for eye surgery, and what their rating/job is. The Navy places personnel into group categories of priority based on certain factors such as rating/job and necessity, so you may be waiting a while depending on where you're stationed. I've heard of guys getting it only a couple of months after waiting, some after a year or so.

As far as cross-rating goes... there are other factors that must be met in addition to healing time. The MANMED states that 3 months of recovery time are necessary after surgery. In addition to that, you must have served at least two years in your current rating (that's the day you graduated A-school, not boot camp), at least two years at your current command, AND have the approval of the Commanding Officer (CO). There are other requirements as well, but those are the major ones. Also, be aware that Year Group quotas are currently being fully met and even exceeded in some cases and the rating for that year group may be over-manned which would make it extremely difficult or even impossible to cross into that particular rating from the fleet.

Obtaining a SEAL contract would be done by contacting your Command Career Counselor (CCC) and telling him/her that you want to become a Special Warfare Operator (SO). They will then tell you the necessary steps to take from there.

Hope this helped!

-Barall