Hello,
I posted a few months ago about whether or not my elbow would be disqualifying at MEPS. I recently went to MEPS a few weeks ago and was disqualified due to having Cartilage Surgery [History of cartilage surgery, including but not limited to cartilage debridement, chondroplasty, microfracture, or cartilage transplant procedure (CPT 20910, 20912, 21230, 21235, 27412, 27415, 29866-29867).] I then went down the following week for a consult with an Orthopedic Surgeon. Upon reviewing the X-rays, the physician noticed I had some Osteoarthritis in my elbow. When I went back to MEPS later that day, I was also disqualified for this. [Current or history of chondromalacia (717.7), including but not limited to chronic patello- femoral pain syndrome and retro-patellar pain syndrome (719.46), osteoarthritis (715.3), or traumatic arthritis (716.1).]
Now, I am currently waited for my waivers to be approved by BUMED. My question is, section 15-105 of the Navy's MANMED says the following. [Any musculo- skeletal condition which is chronic or recurrent, predisposes to injury, or limits the performance of extremely strenuous activities (weight-bearing and otherwise) for protracted periods is dis- qualifying.]
Is this basically subjective to the opinions of the waiver authorities of NSW, or are there specific conditions not listed (but implied) that surround this statement to confirm a disqualification? Also, I know that I will need additional NSW level waivers for my disqualifying conditions, does this apply to my disqualifying conditions to get into the Navy (listed in the DOD 6130.03) or just NSW specific disqualifying conditions (listed in the MANMED 15-105)? - In which it don't say anything directly about Cartilage Surgery or Osteoarthritis.
Thanks,
Zach.