Thread: Cross Country to BUD/s

Cross Country to BUD/s

I've been looking around a lot on many different forums and websites, including this one, and have a question. How come you don't hear a lot about Cross Country runners making it through BUD/s? From what i've seen, a lot of Lacrosse, Swim Team, and Wrestling people make up the majority of BUD/s trainees. Am I just mistaken, or is there a reason that Cross Country isn't mentioned as a sport that a lot of guys do?
    thanks

Re: Cross Country to BUD/s

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    I've been looking around a lot on many different forums and websites, including this one, and have a question. How come you don't hear a lot about Cross Country runners making it through BUD/s? From what i've seen, a lot of Lacrosse, Swim Team, and Wrestling people make up the majority of BUD/s trainees. Am I just mistaken, or is there a reason that Cross Country isn't mentioned as a sport that a lot of guys do?
    thanks
    All BUD/s graduates are cross country runners :D

Most XC runners have a very low body fat percentage and tend to be lacking in strength, since more muscles means more lactic acid buildup. As a fellow runner, I tend to be anywhere from 10-15 pounds lighter during the racing season compared to when I normally train. Even then I'm still just bones and muscle. I feel like having some extra fat to burn and retain water helps tremendously during BUD/s. Plus It helps you float.

Probably because it's not as popular in school so they haven't mentioned it, but there are quite a few cross country athletes that have become SEALs. Most of them just did XC during the off season of wrestling, football, etc. so they don't primarily categorize themselves as cross country dudes... is my guess. Best runners on XC when I was in were wrestlers, could hold 5 minute miles for 3-4 miles... definitely beasts.

yeah man, friggen wrestlers... make me wish I had gotten into the sport. but yeah, xc runners, or any runners that run the 400 meter dash or longer (I was one) are skinny, wirey bastards who need additional basic strength training before they go to BUD/S, unlike a swimmer who might have to change his workouts, but for the most part have good upper body muscular endurance/come from that background already