Thread: Prior Service Army

Prior Service Army

Well, I'm new to this forum, to this website overall. I was actually directed to this website by my brother, who is on the teams, after telling him I was fed up with the Army, and all the ******** I've had to go through. He has given me hope to complete my original dream of becoming a SEAL

A little background to this story.

When I was in High School, I ran into some issues that forced me to make a decision. Long story short, I was accused by my school of a bomb threat (even after the police completed the investigation, found the real culprit, and arrested him). My school actually had half of my teachers give me a failing grade (not an incomplete) for all the school work I had missed after they had put me on an "emergency Expulsion for my safety". Sensing what they were attempting to do,I got my GED, joined up with the National Guard, and from there, went to the Active Army as an Infantry man.

My first choice was always to go SEAL, but since the school pulled that, I took what options I could. I decided if I had to go army, that I would go Special Forces or Rangers. Since coming to the Army however, I have gotten nothing but screwed out of every opportunity I've come close to having for Special Operations. It seems that nowadays, there is an awful lot of bureaucracy that is going along with people moving into the Rangers or SF, and it has become all but impossible to actually get there. I've been in for six years, and I have been told I had to do this that or the other to go to the Selection or the required course to go and be apart of these units. After doing these things, my unit, from company to Brigade would find some way to get it denied. As of now, I have seen only handful of people go to these courses.

I'm not a "*hitbag" as we like to call them here in the Army. I have a great PT Score, I'm early to everything, and I normally get top marks in any course they send me to. I follow orders, and I can take initiative when no orders are present. I am driven and ambitious. But because I wasn't with the "In-crowd" or the "good ol' boys" I was always put to the back of everything. I tried for 2 years to shine, to show I was worth considering for everything... but because I didn't go and drink beer with the boys, I was always at the rear of the line.

I became despondent and had toyed with the idea of getting out of the Army. But I didn't want to leave a partiality of my dream unfufilled (special operations). At this point however, the Army has already started downsizing. So the likelihood of me getting one more shot at Special Operations is next to nil unless I decide to dig up my golden knee pads.

I told my older brother about all of this, and he told me to become a SEAL. I toyed with the idea for a bit, but wasn't too sure if it was the right road to take. Then I started thinking... what has the Army done for me to get me where I wanted to go? They have done nothing but hinder me, if not downright stopped me. So, I asked him to dig up the information for me, and he did. Then I went and talked to a recruiter.

The recruiter basically told me that it was going to be next to impossible unless I absolutely dominated the PST. and even then, it might be an uphill battle for me to get there. I also asked about the buddy program (I have two buddies who were in the exact same boat, and got out because of it.), and he told me if we all dominated it, and got picked up, we could do a buddy program. He still outlined it was going to be next to impossible.

Most people at this point would have just left it at that, and wouldn't have tried. They only want to try the sure things. But when the recruiter told me that, I accepted that challenge. I realized then, that the fire in my soul wouldn't have it any other way, and instead of giving up, or half-heartedly trying, I have been training non-stop to make sure that I get picked up. I may have to wait a while, but I'm gonna make it happen. Impossibility is just a challenge of a norm I'm always willing to take on.

I'm not gonna give up just because someone tells me how challenging it is. I'm going to make it. and I'm not gonna let anything slow my path down

Re: Prior Service Army

This sort of thing has been answered and discussed MANY times before on this forum. Here are a few quotes from some of the threads and the links to them. Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by NCCS GIO
    Guys, Stop making stuff up on this website. If you do not know what you are talking about, don't give your opinion. You are not helping anyone.

I am the Senior Recruiting Advisor for the team here at BUD/s. The information that we put come straight out of the navy, not your book case or a webpage.

The navy has shut done ALL PRIOR SERVICE. The economy is doing badly, and people are not getting out. Therefore, the navy does not need prior service to meet their manning requirements. The navy is doing just fine to meet it manning demands by recruiting civilians.

Any questions on this subject, feel free to contact me.

Senior Chief Gio
    Source: http://www.sealswcc.com/forums/showt...=prior+service

Quote Originally Posted by SEAL Senior Chief
    I do not know the Army's policy on releasing officers to another service; you would have to speak with any Army recruiter. My recommendation would be to see if it’s possible to transfer to Navy ROTC while you’re still in school and apply for an ROTC slot to BUD/S that way.

The current policy is that we are not taking prior service so if you spend your time in the Army and then enlist in the Navy you will be denied by a Navy recruiter if you wish to get an SO contract.

Best of Luck

Senior

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Williams
    SEALs are not accepting prior service or other service at this time EXCEPT prior-SOF. As long as you enter as E5 or below it doesn't matter what rank you enter service. The reason why the Navy isn't accepting prior/other service is because BUD/S is more than meeting accession goals for SO, so we can afford to be very picky. The SEAL community generally prefers to bring mostly fresh recruits off the street, with a smattering of Fleet candidates. Fresh meat, indeed. Less to unlearn. You have good qualifications, but money is hardly the issue. Age is, for one. it would seem you are near or past the threshold.

At this time, the Navy is NOT taking any OSVETs (Other Service Veterans) or NAVETs (Navy Veterans) for SEAL and SWCC.

The current policy is that the Navy is not accepting prior service members for SO contracts. There is no projected end to this policy.

There are 2 National Guard SF Groups; 19 and 20th. I have deployed with both.

Best of Luck

Senior

Fenrirs-

The Marine Corps will be an excellent and patriotic way to serve your country and I wish you the best of luck. One thing I will mention, that we’ve been discussing quite a bit of late on the Forum, is that the Navy is not currently taking prior service into NSW (if your plan was to get out of the USMC and enlist in the Navy). There is currently no proposed end to this policy. If you intend to apply for a Lateral transfer by applying for a SEAL OCS slot, you would have that opportunity as an enlisted Marine.

Best of Luck

Senior Chief

Your prior service doesn't really help. NSW, unlike the other services, prefers new guys off the street rather than Fleet or other service guys. Reason? There's less to unlearn. At this time we are NOT accepted any prior service or other service vets, UNLESS they were in the SOF community, such as Army Rangers.
    Source: http://www.sealswcc.com/forums/showt...ghlight=street

There are a lot more threads like these as well if you search for them.

Oh, and here's one more thing. It was linked by one of the moderators on this forum, but I cannot locate the original thread, so I'll just link you directly to the document.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/PAO/Recruit...v_dec_2011.pdf

Go ahead and read the section about the Special Warfare program. If that's not the correct one then please let me know. I don't have time to check and see if it is because I have to go to work. Thanks!

-Barall

I'm only going on the information that was given to me by the recruiter. Sorry, if it wasn't correct, and I'll be sure to take it up with him when I get off the deployment. But that's all it was, the information as was given to me by a recruiter in my home area

Yeah, man do it up. This forum is a great place for info as well. No harm in talking to the recruiter and perusing the archives. Best of luck to ya!