Thread: What to do when your done with the PTG

What to do when your done with the PTG

Ive finished the Physical Training Guide an I don't really know where to go. I know for the Run/Swim intervals I shouldn't do more than 10 but I should rather decrease the rest time inbetween intervals. But for the LSD runs, should I go out and run faster or can I increase the distance to 10-25 miles per run? And can I incorporate sprinting intervals of 100-300 yards into my workout to substitute it for say a CHI or a Interval session? Thanks

George

Re: What to do when your done with the PTG

Yes to all of the above, but I would suggest you focus on increasing distance for your LSD runs, rather than speed specifically.
    Many say that once you get to a certain distance running longer doesn't help, I disagree with this, and I think you would see benefits from increased distances in your endurance.

For all your training I think the more variation you include the better, Specifically for running I would suggest you keep your hard days to a maximum of 2 days/wk. Hard days being Sprints, Intervals, or CHI.
    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

If you are old enough, contact a mentor.

Also, if you're are talking about CHI running, I heard that can be damaging over time. No sure if that is true. I don't think you should be "done" with the ptg, maybe just crank intensity and set higher standards.

I'm 16 now but I've been training since I was 13 so I'm in really good shape not to be cockey haha but yea the CHI runs really hurt like for me I don't know how to differentiate between going 75% and going 90-95% of my maximal effort and I'm always fluctuating how fast I'm running so I never feel like I really accomplished a CHI session. But I'm trying to decide wether or not to go to college and try and be an Officer or if I should screw having to have $85,000 worth of student loans when I'm out of college and just go right in when I'm done with high school

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    the CHI runs really hurt like for me I don't know how to differentiate between going 75% and going 90-95% of my maximal effort and I'm always fluctuating how fast I'm running so I never feel like I really accomplished a CHI session.
    Why don't you try this: For your "CHI"- style of workout do a 1.5 timed, but then try to keep that pace for as long as possible. When you cannot keep going at your timed 1.5 pace try just bringing your tempo down and finish out with a few more miles. Keep going till you can complete 4 miles total for that workout and just keep trying to go as far as possible as fast as possible. Eventually you can knock out a 4 miler in 28 minutes and below. Seems like you have lots of time so this might be a fun workout to try.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I'm trying to decide wether or not to go to college and try and be an Officer
    Research thoroughly what an Officer's typical career looks like. See if you want that. If you just want to be a door-kicker for your career stick with enlisting when your out of highschool, but that doesn't mean you don't need to go to college. Many enlisted SEALS have college degrees. Also some SEALS enlist with a degree with the intention of going Officer later on; just to get some experience in the field. If you had to choose between a rough SEAL Veteran or a 22 year old kid fresh out of college, me personally I would put that SEAL Veteran above the other. I'm not saying that the SEAL Veteran will also win over the college graduate but I'd say it gives you a good advantage over the other.

You could always apply to the Naval Academy or find a school that has a ROTC program then your college will be paid for by the Government.

Read through the PTG again, especially the parts about adding in extra LSD runs and Swims. You can always work on something to improve, whether it be running, swimming, strength, speed, balance, muscular endurance.

Find areas you are weak in and make them your strong areas, the old strong areas will now be weak make them strong. It's an endless cycle, it doesn't get any easier, you only get better.

Shark- I would have never thought of doing that for the CHI session that's a great idea! And about the college thing Im pretty sure that I'm just going to enlist and be more experienced and try and be an officer in there because I'm in gape and mentally I want it so bad I know that I'm not going to quit.

Nickdich- I could do the Naval Academy but my grades just aren't there, and I'm going to look at the NROTC but I don't think I'm going to end up doing it.

Thanks for the advice guys

George