Thread: New ASVAB Requirements

New ASVAB Requirements

I just caught this on the SEAL General Requirements section of this website. If I'm late to the party, apologies in advance. Just putting it out here so more people see it:

On May 1, 2012 to qualify, an applicant must score one of the following on the ASVAB:

1. GS + MC + EI = 170 or better ( PAY 97 ) or option #2

2. VE + MK + MC + CS = 220 or better

In addition to the above, you must score: VE + AR = 110 with minimum MC = 50

1. GS + MC + EI = 170 or better ( PAY 80 ) or option #2

2. VE + MK + MC + CS = 220 or better

In addition to the above, you must score: VE + AR = 110 with minimum MC = 50

The bolded parts are new. The most important thing I wanted to point out is the "PAY x." What is PAY, and what's the difference between PAY 97 and PAY 80? Thanks for your time.

EDIT: I just researched into PAY and I'm getting some studies from the 90's and 80's, under the name Profile of American Youth, used to pinpoint what the average AFQT score is for people who took the test in 1997 and 1980. Makes no sense to me, but the more I read the more I feel that this PAY thing is irrelevant to us and we shouldn't worry/care about it.

Re: New ASVAB Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Lazur View Post
    I just researched into PAY and I'm getting some studies from the 90's and 80's, under the name Profile of American Youth, used to pinpoint what the average AFQT score is for people who took the test in 1997 and 1980. Makes no sense to me, but the more I read the more I feel that this PAY thing is irrelevant to us and we shouldn't worry/care about it.
    Technically, yes it is irrelevant in the sense of "Just do your best and don't worry about it," but what it is, is that the scores of ASVABs taken today are being compared to how people scored in '97. If you scored just as well as most people did in '97, your ASVAB will be around 50. If you scored better than most people did in '97, your ASVAB will be higher, and the opposite is also true. So down the road, when kids are taking the ASVAB several years down the road (or whenever they update the parameters), they will be tested against our scores. This allows the ASVAB to steadily get harder and harder as time goes on, so as to help the military recruit "smarter and smarter" people.
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides
    *08APR2013 SO Contract*