Thread: Should you push to your limit on every event?

Should you push to your limit on every event?

I know this question sounds a little odd, but would it be better if you did say 80 pushups instead of 85, in hopes that it doesn't kill your arms even more for pull ups? I have gone all out on tests before just thought it might be interesting to think about.
    Sure the only easy day was yesterday, but that is what makes life worth living

Re: Should you push to your limit on every event?

What is five extra push-ups? Also, pull-ups are working your back and your biceps a bit. Push-ups are chest and triceps....

alright thanks guys, back when I did my pst for devil pups I finished all the push ups but was shaking and thought "did I just kill myself?" haha, well don't worry I will give it 110%
    Sure the only easy day was yesterday, but that is what makes life worth living

Think about this. When someone races in a 5k (I picked 5K because it's a similar amount of time) do they run all out the whole time?
    No, they pace themselves to optimize their time. At some point your expended energy is going to cost you more than you'll gain from it. When you do the swim do you think starting at your 100 yd race pace is how you should go about it? absolutely not. Getting those 2 more push-ups could cost you 1 more pull-up and that wouldn't be a good trade off.

There is a benefit to pacing yourself, I can't tell you how to pace yourself perfectly, but to maximize your score going all out isn't the best way. You want to end the race all out, but not begin it all out.

My advice to you - Go all out on the exercise portions since they are so short and pace yourself on the run and swim.
    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanknows View Post
    You can listen to jag w/e numbers and let the guy next to you get the contract or impress the people behind you and prove your self. Pick one.
    Lmfao this is the best post I have seen by you by far. Good sh1t Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtaliesin View Post
    Lmfao this is the best post I have seen by you by far. Good sh1t Ryan.
    Honestly that comment was a little immature.

Anyway I think what Jag5543 was saying was that you want to find a balance that will benefit YOU personally the best. Of course you should try your best on everything but if getting 120 pushups instead of 110 makes your pull ups go from 20 to 10, then obviously you would not want to do that. Just a thought.

Also you can always push a little bit harder in ANYTHING you do. Saying you will just go hard the whole time is a lot easier said than done and those who are mentally weak believe they can go as hard as possible for as long as possible until they are actually there in the moment.

Just my $0.02.
    Gordon