Thread: Implantable Contact Lenses

Implantable Contact Lenses

Hi, this is my first post

Are implantable contact lenses approved for SEAL recruits?

My understanding is that SEAL contracts are available to those who wait six months after a successful LASIK or PRK surgery.

What about ICL?

I have great strength and endurance, and I'm smart. I want to be a SEAL, bad. I talked to an eye surgeon and he said that my cornea is too thin for LASIK or PRK and that ICL was my only option. I read an article on how active duty soldiers have received thousands of ICL surgeries. This article also said ICL healed faster and achieves 20/20 vision in 98% of surgeries. I can't find any info on Navy SEALs though.

http://www.examiner.com/article/us-m...duty-personnel

Thanks,

ChicagoFrog

Re: Implantable Contact Lenses

Hey, not sure if his helps at all but here's something that might help

I don't know if ICL and #7 are the same, but at least here is the list for you I copied off of Hoosiers thread.

Disqualifying conditions regarding:
    (c) Eyes

1. Corrected visual acuity worse than 20/20 in each eye.
    2. Uncorrected visual acuity worse than 20/200 OU.
    3. Deficient color vision following article 15-36(1)(d). (Colorblindness)
    4. Deficient night vision from any cause.
    5. Loss of depth perception from any cause.
    6. Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK), laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK), or hard contact lens wear for orthokeratology within the preceding 3 months is disqualifying for accession into NSW/SO. Visual result from appliance or surgery mus meet the above corrected acuity standards and the patient must be discharged from ophthalmology follow-up with a disposition of "fit for full duty." Qualified NSW/SO service members may return to duty 1 month post refractive corneal surgery if they are fully recovered from surgery and have improved visual acuity.[/B]
    7. Intraocular lens implants.
    8. Glaucoma
    9. Presence of a hollow orbital implant.
    10. Any acute or chronic recurrent ocular disorder which may interfere with or be aggravated by hyperbaric exposure.
    11. Radial keratotomy.

OEDWY

This reference is outdated and does NOT cite the most recent MANMED 15-105 standards for NSW. I mentor in NRD Richmond (VA DC Metro) for CNRC and can state unequivocally you need to consult the most recently issued change. The MANMED change to 15-105 dated 12 January 2012 is the most recent to be used and contains this re uncorrected vision unlike the one you have erroneously provided.

(d) Eyes
    (1) Corrected visual acuity worse than 20/25 in either eye is disqualifying.
    (2) Uncorrected visual acuity worse than 20/70 either eye is disqualifying for SEAL
    and SWCC.
    (3) Uncorrected visual acuity worse than 20/40 in the better eye is disqualifying for
    SEAL and SWCC.

Use this reference to research ICL implant and evaluate the current policy,

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/D...an%202012).pdf

(9) Photorefractive keratectomy
    (PRK), laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis
    (LASIK), LASEK, or intraocular lens implants
    (including Intraocular Collamer Lens Implants)
    within the preceding 3 months are disqualifying
    for candidates. Visual result from appliance or
    surgery must meet the above corrected acuity
    standards and the patient must be discharged from
    ophthalmology follow-up with a disposition of
    “fit for full duty” and requiring no ongoing
    treatment. Qualified SO Service members may
    return to duty 1 month after refractive corneal or
    intraocular lens implant surgery if they are fully
    recovered from surgery and have an acceptable
    visual outcome. No waiver is required in these
    cases.
    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

My apologies for the miss-information. I hope it didn't cause too much of an inconvenience, thank you for clearing things up aquaman and jag

No worries Mate! I know you were responding with all the best intentions and trying to help out/collaborate. I chimed in to set the record straight and I have the resources at my disposal that you may not. Keeping the users up to date is the goal as is providing resources that can be used from official sites. There are too many interlopers all over the internet that keep candidates off target so coming to this website develops the consistent msg from the NSW RD Team and this forum benefits from constructive dialogue like yours. It alerts us that there is some outdated info still circulating and a comment like yours that revisits this topic specifically allows them to update topics for the good of the order overall. Thanks. MN

Thanks for the responses, particularly to aquaman!

My understanding now, is that 3 months after a successful ICL surgery I would be eligible to sign a SO contract.

Should I talk to a recruiter before or after I get ICL? I doubt most navy recruiters know anything about this subject. The last one I talked to didn't know anything and kept asking me if I was interested in the nuke program, after I said I wanted to be a SEAL and wanted more information on how to get my vision corrected.

How do I get in contact with a SEAL recruiter or a navy doctor who knows/cares about this subject?