Thread: I admit it

I admit it

I admit I have been considering other Special Operations Forces, primarily Marine Force Recon and MarSOC, however I just can't get the SEALs out of my head. I have heard that, although I don't necassarily agree with it, that SEALs are only good at shooting and swimming, and that they have become glory hogs. While I realize that they are a very elite force, I want to go with what Special Operations Unit is best for me, I am having a mental debate, Recon or SEALs. I am interested in Special Reconaissance and the more stealthy aspect of these units, I don't particularily like the idea of Foriegn-internal defense. I respect both of these units a good deal, however the SEALs sure do seem to want a lot of attention, yet it also seems that may just be limelighting from the media, please any help in my dilema would be most appreciated.Thanks.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, Navy Pilot

Re: I admit it

Don't go on our advice, go on yours. What purpose would it be to ask this, have a gut feeling you want to be in Recon, and instead of going into that pipeline you enter the SEAL pipeline; you won't want to do it, and it will always be in the back of your mind. Your decision should be based solely on your own opinions and desires. If you can't get SEALs out of your head, doesn't that tell you something in the first place?

Well you have to do whatever you feel what you should do. go with what you HEART tells you. if SEALs is stuck in your head i think it says something doesnt it best of luck in your decsion

Yeah, you both are right, thanks I will go SEALs, I do really love to swim alot.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, Navy Pilot

Making choices is the only freedom anyone really has - use it.

It's not that SEALs are only good at one thing, it's that every Spec Ops group typically has it's own identity & primary work environment. Take SWCC for instance, they are pretty obviously usually on a swift boat craft. Special Forces/Green Beret are the main ones who practice foreign international defense. SEALs are very involved in direct action (premeditated murder) which involves a whole lot of planning & attacking or what you would call "shooting". By no means are any of these to be over looked! Some days you might envy the rookie status of the MARSOC, or the versatility of the Green Beret, the ferocity of the Ranger. Maybe SEALs do talk a lot more than Delta or SF, & MARSOC has yet to identify themselves since they've only just been formed & included within SOCOM, but I wouldn't knock that if I were you, just simply choose differently. I for one wouldn't want to be the guy who compromises America's greatest enemy to a permanent end & not say SOMETHING about it. Delta on the other hand... Wait what is Delta? They don't exist right? Ha! If you get my point.
    My bet is, there is no decision that is going to sell you short. There is no "This team is better than that team." At the end of the day, you can bet your butt that all of those boys want the same thing: To defend freedom worldwide & protect America. Andddddd... one hell of a thrill of being a serious badass. I think it comes down on who you look up to & what's geared more towards your skill set.

All special operations groups have the ability to conduct basically the same operations. SEALs do conduct FID, just like Special Forces and Special Forces conduct direct action missions, just like the SEALs. Each has the ability to conduct waterborne operations as well. MARSOC has similar capabilities to that of SF and so on and so on. SWCC guys are also taught CQD, just like SEALs, SF and MARSOC. However, if a commander had his choice of group for a waterborne operation and he had to choose between the SEALs, MARSOC and SF, it's a no-brainer. That's the SEAL specialty. Just the same, if that same commander had a choice between those three to conduct FID, you can be sure he'd probably choose MARSOC or SF. Both SF and SEALs are very capable of FID, but FID isn't putting a SEAL to their best use. Using the DA example, sending an SF A team to conduct a DA mission isn't quite putting them to as good a use as the commander could with the SEALs. In a war zone it's different, though. Usually, it comes down to who's available. In other words, if there's a hostage rescue situation and the only unit that is available to handle it are SWCC guys, they'll be the ones to get on the action. If a FID mission needs to be conducted to measure fighting strength for a company of Afghani soldiers and the only guys available are SEALs, then guess what?

To help you choose: are you a water person? If so, SEALs are where it's at. Yeah, there are schools in SF that do a little dive here, a little combat swimming there and while they are very capable, SEALs are the absolute experts in waterborne combat operations, bar none.

[qoute]
    To help you choose: are you a water person? If so, SEALs are where it's at. Yeah, there are schools in SF that do a little dive here, a little combat swimming there and while they are very capable, SEALs are the absolute experts in waterborne combat operations, bar none.[/quote]

I think you'd be very surprised to find the level and quality of "dive training" for those seeking or needing it in branches outside the Navy. Air Force PJs and CCs, Army Green Berets, MARSOC, etc. to mention a few. But yes, SEALs are most certainly the masters of the water. But, let's give a little credit to those other Special Operators who also went through 8 weeks of Dive School.

V

I have many marine friends and I know for a fact because I called directly to marsoc and they told me that you have to have 4 years of service as a marine before you can even go to the indoc. As for recon I have a friend of a friend currently in the recon division. Recon are more similar to army rangers which conduct light infantry missions as opposed to smaller 4-6 man teams. I agree with you as far as disliking the way seals have started coming forward with being in the limelight so to say. I think that could compromise lives. I have two friends who were scout snipers for the marines, one told me that he was on a navy carrier and he said that there were pirates who were threatening hostages. He said that even though the carrier had marine recon on board the army pilots came and dropped navy seals on the carrier and they left the carrier in inflatable boats. Basically he was kind of ****** because they had marine spec ops on the boat but he felt like they were not trusted. To carry out the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by bigv123 View Post
    [qoute]
    To help you choose: are you a water person? If so, SEALs are where it's at. Yeah, there are schools in SF that do a little dive here, a little combat swimming there and while they are very capable, SEALs are the absolute experts in waterborne combat operations, bar none.
    I think you'd be very surprised to find the level and quality of "dive training" for those seeking or needing it in branches outside the Navy. Air Force PJs and CCs, Army Green Berets, MARSOC, etc. to mention a few. But yes, SEALs are most certainly the masters of the water. But, let's give a little credit to those other Special Operators who also went through 8 weeks of Dive School.

V [/QUOTE]

Sorry if it sounded like I was blowing their capabilities off, or made it sound like their education on diving was not up to par. I do give them credit, that's why I said they are very capable (not that I would know first hand). But in my uneducated opinion; why, if you're a water guy (and I mean for you, the water is where it's at, you're comfortable in the water, you love the water, etc) would you join another SO detachment besides the SEALs? You aren't going to get nearly the same training and knowledge overall for waterborne operations. 8 weeks of dive school, but that's the SEAL bread and butter mission. Water operations are a massive part of their training in the "off season" from what I've heard, for everybody in the Teams. You cannot deny the influence that the water plays on the decision of which SO outfit you try out for, if you're a water person. If you want to play in the water, try to get to BUD/S.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Four years? Hmm that's weird maybe that's kinda like people trying to cross rate in the navy?ha I know a jarhead that served in Vietnam and he was asked why he wasn't in the recon tent or something? Pretty cool story to hear but I guess all you have to do is volunteer and be able to pass there test or w/e it is? I've talked to a marine recruiter lol but I told him a wanted to be a SEAL and he looked at me like I'm stupid and asked me if I knew where I was...after talking for a bit the staff sergeant made me do pull ups before I left. After 11 I dropped and he said I didn't tell you to stop....hard mofos...but a soldier is a soldier pick which one you want to be.

Does anyone know if David Goggins broke the pull up world record? Maybe he is still doing them?.
    Looks like Goggins got injured at some point during the attempt: http://allday.today.com/_news/2012/0...ur-studio?lite