Thread: New Books

New Books

I'm sure many of you have already read the books "Lone Survivor" and "Seal Team Six," as well as any number of other books by, say, **** Couch. I actually still sleep with my copy of Lone Survivor by my rack. They are excellent first-hand glimpses into the lives of Navy SEALs, and as someone who aspires to become one as well, I find them really inspiring.

Well, yesterday while I was shopping for some things at the Navy Exchange here, I saw that a new book had come out: "The Red Circle," written by a Navy SEAL Sniper / Instructor and with a foreword by Marcus Luttrell. It came out just over two weeks ago. The retail price is nearly $30, but I see it on sale at Amazon.com for $17.65 and on iBooks for $12.99. I haven't read it yet, so I can't comment or review on it, but I will be reading it in the near future and I encourage all of you to look into it as well.

Also on Amazon.com, when looking up "The Red Circle," I spotted *another* book, to be released May 22, 2012, titled "Fearless." It's not so much autobiography as the previous few books I've listed, as the subject of the book actually died in the Hindu Kush mountains in 2010. (Same setting as Lone Survivor, a few years later.)

Anyway, since there isn't a lot of advertising for these books that I know of, and since they almost went completely unnoticed by me, I thought I'd share here in case any of you haven't already heard of these books and are interested in reading them.

Re: New Books

Here are two more books that surfaced in the last six months and "Seal Team Six" being my personal favorite, for anyone who isn't familiar:

(1) SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper by Howard E. Wasden
    (2) American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle
    (3) The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen by Brandon Webb

Haven't had the chance to pick up and read "The Red Circle", but I'm looking forward to it. The reviews are 5 stars on Amazon and in the description it says Brandon Webb (the author) actually trained Marcus Luttrell and Chris Kyle in sniper school.
    "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

Just found Brandon Webb's (author of "The Red Circle" and former SEAL sniper) blog, all thanks to google Who else thinks that watch is freakin sick?

http://www.brandontylerwebb.com/
    "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

The Heart and the Fist by Eric Greitiens is alo a good read

Brandon Webb and Glen Doherty were righting a book called navy SEAniper: an insightful look into the 21st century sniper or something and I preordered one about a navy SEAL k9 handler and dog. I'm very excited for both. Got on Amazon for I think 15$ per.

I read The Red Circle and it was pretty good. The book about Adam Brown is pretty incredible though - that man was an impressive human being.

Anybody read "**** Few" or "Breaking BUD/S"? Trying to figure out what to read next!

Quote Originally Posted by wannagowannabe View Post
    I read The Red Circle and it was pretty good. The book about Adam Brown is pretty incredible though - that man was an impressive human being.

Anybody read "**** Few" or "Breaking BUD/S"? Trying to figure out what to read next!
    Just bought **** few but haven't started it yet. Just finishing breaking BUD/S. if your considering the later I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Its a quick read that has been insightful, entertaining, and humorous. Plus it was like $8.00 on amazon.
    Wodhard.wordpress.com. - my training blog.

The Finishing School or The Warrior Elite... which one is a better read?

Quote Originally Posted by TY93 View Post
    The Finishing School or The Warrior Elite... which one is a better read?
    Both by the same author, both great reads. Do warrior elite first as the focus is on BUD/S, then do the finishing school as the focus is on SQT.
    Wodhard.wordpress.com. - my training blog.

Reading Warrior Elite now, it's awesome so far. Breaking BUD/S was a terrific read. I just finished SEAL of God and I don't recommend it. His account of BUD/S is fairly enlightening, but it dips off the deep end after the guy graduates.
    SO Ship Date: 1-15-2014

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
    Psalms 73:26

One of the things I asked a retired SEAL officer who came to our NROTC unit was which of the books published recently he thought was worth reading, and he is apparently a friend of Eric Greitens and strongly recommended his book "The Heart and the Fist." I finished it recently and thought it completely lived up to that high bar of expectations.

My personal favorite besides that one is an older book, "Warrior Soul" by Chuck Pfarrer. I actually took some notes while reading that one, some really solid advice tucked in there beyond the stuff you might expect in a SEAL memoir.

For instance, here's what a senior chief in Pfarrer's platoon had to say about leadership: "Take care of the lads, and the lads will take care of you. Eat last, and after everyone has been served. Buy beer. Praise publicly, punish privately. Take the heat when things go wrong. Ask questions and solicit the opinions of enlisted operators, and delegate subtasks within the mission."

Also there seems to be a cottage industry springing up lately of books marketed towards those who are training for SEALs or other SOF programs, and I'll be blunt: a lot of them don't look like they're worth the money. That being said, I enjoyed the insight and humor of "Breaking BUD/S" a great deal, so if any of you guys are on the fence about that one I'd say to go for it.

I've read Warrior Elite, very informative and great information. Breaking BUD/s is also a great read with some good tips and pointers. I read Adam Brown's "Fearless" and it was a tremendous read. While it was about his time in the teams, BUD/S, etc., I really enjoyed reading about his struggles and battle with drug addiction and the relationship he developed with his wife and family. It does a great job of showing you the other side of the picture. I also read "**** Few", it is a quick, very easy read that has a lot of good information and pointers. I definitely recommend it. My favorite read by far was "Lone Survivor". I read it twice in a couple weeks it was so good. Very motivational, honorable, and humbling. I also read the book Seal of Honor about Michael Murphy. It's great and gives you a good background into his life before the teams. I also read American Sniper by Chris Kyle. It was an interesting read. The last one I read was "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen and it gave a lot of background information into the mission to get Bin Laden. My next two books on my bookshelf to read are "Service" and "The Red Circle". But I'm in college right now so I don't have time to do extra reading so hopefully I'll get them done after I graduate in December.

Has anyone read Suffer in Silence? I read the book a while back and it was great for insight on BUDs, but it is told from a 3rd person viewpoint.

I've read that one. Devoured it, actually. The book takes a strange turn at the end towards pure-fiction land, but the other 95% is rock solid. Definitely gives you one of the best glimpses into the mindset out of any SEAL-related book I've read, really cuts through all the crap and folklore and has a feeling of authenticity to it, as it should considering it's written in first-person by a guy who was in BUD/S until dropping out after first phase. Read it if you get the chance.

I thought of another one you guys should check out, by the way: "First Into Action" by ex-SBS man Duncan Falconer. Really interesting to get the perspective on SOF from across the pond. With some of the stuff those guys have done in Northern Ireland and elsewhere, they definitely earn the nickname "Suicidal Boat Service."

Books I have read so far are, Warrior Elite, The Finishing School, Breaking BUD/s, American Sniper, Two of the books maybe off navy seal topic but to get a mindset I read them. All are great books for motivation, inspiration and courage. Any suggestion on good books? I am actually reading Navy Seal Upper Body Beast on my Kindle, it's a cool book to read if your in need of some guidance in upper body work out and inspiration. Good Luck Fellas.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    by-Mahatma Gandhi.

Quote Originally Posted by THE3DEFFECT View Post
    Books I have read so far are, Warrior Elite, The Finishing School, Breaking BUD/s, American Sniper, Two of the books maybe off navy seal topic but to get a mindset I read them. All are great books for motivation, inspiration and courage. Any suggestion on good books? I am actually reading Navy Seal Upper Body Beast on my Kindle, it's a cool book to read if your in need of some guidance in upper body work out and inspiration. Good Luck Fellas.
    I've read Navy SEAL Upper Body Beast also. I can't figure out when he did pyramids according to his workout log though. You have any idea?

A great book to read on strategy, conflict and the warrior's way is "The Book Of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi, translated by Thomas Cleary
    The way to transmute your iron duty into gold in everyone's eyes is this: always deliver more than you promise.- Friedrich Nietzsche

Navy SEAL Dogs: My Tale of Training Canines for Combat by Michael Ritland came out today.

I havent read it yet but it seems a little different from the normal SEAL books posted here. I still think it will be interesting but that might be because I love dogs and would love to be a handler in the teams

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    A great book to read on strategy, conflict and the warrior's way is "The Book Of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi, translated by Thomas Cleary
    On that note, I recommend The Hagakure. Obviously not a SEAL book, but it's an excellent book on warrior spirit.