Thread: Likelihood of Acceptance

johnfrazee

Likelihood of Acceptance

Hey Everybody,

Before you tell me to take this to the "FOR THOSE DECIDING BETWEEN COLLEGE/NROTC/OCS/ENLISTING" thread; I looked through it, and for one reason or another, could not find the answer I was looking for. I'm a Navy SEAL hopeful; a junior in high school, and I'm considering my options for college. I want to go to the place that makes it most likely that I will become a SEAL, because I'm not interested in any other part of the Navy. I understand that there is a huge amount of work and dedication that goes into achieving this goal, but, statistically, where am I most likely to be cleared for SEALs; USNA, an NROTC program, or OCS? Basically, just want to know which place gives out the most SEAL Officer billets, because I'm a little confused by the process, and I want to make sure I don't choose the wrong option, and then get choked out by the competition. Thanks a ton!

Re: Likelihood of Acceptance

First, all of that has been discussed ad nauseum. Second, best chance? Do you want to be a SEAL or an officer? If it's both then you can go the enlisted route and try to work your way into OCS after a few years as an enlisted SEAL. If it's you need to start out as a SEAL officer and don't want to enlist then that topic has been covered in other threads and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly.

johnfrazee

I want to specifically be a SEAL Officer, not enlisted. Could you direct me towards those threads? Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    Again, there's a bit of a catch: NSW only offers so many officer billets to BUD/S every year, and those billets are divided a little unevenly between those in NROTC programs, guys at the USN Academy, and those applying for OCS. Because of the successful track record of guys who graduated from the Academy getting through BUD/S, they get a little more than everyone else. Approximately half of all of the billets going out to officers will go to guys graduating from the USNA. Of the approximately remaining half, it is further divided into a rough half between the best guys graduating from OCS and the best guys graduating through NROTC. So if there are say 80 initial officer billets for that particular draft board, you get about 20 billets to compete for. And if you do get picked, congrats, pat yourself on the back, because that means NSW thinks you're one of the best in the country out of all the guys in every NROTC unit across the country who applied.

The answer is in the thread... USNA gets more billets.

That thread is great, read it a few times...

johnfrazee

Thanks a ton, don't know how I missed that. What about supply and demand? Do you know what percentage of candidates are not given billets each year, from USNA, NROTC, and OCS?

Regardless of how many candidates enter the program, there are only a certain ammount of billets issued, as per the demand of NSW i assume, and they are split up ammong the schools.. unevenly as the other thread said.

Hopefully an admin will clarify this, i am only going off of what my research on the same subject brought me. i decided to enlist and go to OCS later but that is because of the age restriction and how long it will take me to finish a degree.

johnfrazee

I understand, thanks anyway. Hopefully an admin will see this, because it's going to heavily influence where I go. I can't imagine there's only 80 officer billets for the entire country per year, do you know what the actual number is, or is that really the number?

Well, BUD/S starts 3 times a year as far as i know. Out of lets say 115 students classing up in INDOC, how many could possibly be officers... Good question but all i can say is its up to the needs of NSW at the time. Im sure theres an average or range of the number of Billets for Officers but I've not seen it on here yet... mabye this will be that thread in the future

johnfrazee

Thanks a lot, you've been a big help Anyone who knows any sort of average billet amount per year, or average percent of candidates who don't receive billets, feel free to shout out.

1. USNA
    2. NROTC
    3. OCS

USNA has the most billets, but even if you go there you are not guaranteed to go to BUD/S. OCS has the least and last I heard it was less than 10 a year. If you know you want to only be a SEAL Officer you should aim for the Naval Academy.

My advice would to be to research all the opportunities available and decide what works best for you. I would worry less about the numbers of billets, how many don't get them, etc. and more about making yourself the best candidate/applicant possible.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrazee View Post
    Thanks a lot, you've been a big help Anyone who knows any sort of average billet amount per year, or average percent of candidates who don't receive billets, feel free to shout out.
    I've heard that for OCS there are generally about 200 candidates for 15ish slots. At USNA, there are roughly 30 spots for typically 80-100 candidates. Keep in mind that in the end it just comes down to you, statistics mean little to the individual. The reason that the academy has less applicants is because they've been through SEAL screeners already (mini-BUD/s) so they know if its what they want. The academy also has the advantage of the training environment. Say one Saturday you're like "hey, I want to go do push ups with Stew Smith," so you walk across the yard and get your *** kicked by Stew Smith. You also spend four years training with some of the other officers that will be in BUD/s with you. That all being said, I don't think one way is better than another.

I believe NROTC has the same number of billets as USNA, but far more applicants. To answer your other question, yes, 80-100 billets per year on average. That does not include enlisted SEALs who are going to OCS.

Got this out of a thread started by a candidate going through the selection process, from usnavyOCS.com (thanks for the tip nickdich). I think it gives some pretty good insight into the current state of things, but keep in mind this is only relevant to the OCS boards.

"66 applicants. 40 will have expenses paid for to come down to VA or CA during one of the three interview/PST dates. 10 "alternates" will be responsible for paying their own expenses if they so chose. 16 will not advance to the next round of consideration."

Something else to keep in mind, aren't all USNA grads commissioned upon graduation? As I understand it, if not selected for BUD/S at the Academy you will commission as a Naval officer anyway. If not selected through OCS, etc., you go about your life and try again for the next board, with no obligation. Might give that some thought if you're dead set against commissioning unless you get a slot at BUD/S.

SEAL Senior Chief

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrazee View Post
    I understand, thanks anyway. Hopefully an admin will see this, because it's going to heavily influence where I go. I can't imagine there's only 80 officer billets for the entire country per year, do you know what the actual number is, or is that really the number?
    There are normally 80-85 officer billets available for applicants per year to attend BUD/S.

Senior

SEAL Senior Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddicus View Post
    Well, BUD/S starts 3 times a year as far as i know. Out of lets say 115 students classing up in INDOC, how many could possibly be officers... Good question but all i can say is its up to the needs of NSW at the time. Im sure theres an average or range of the number of Billets for Officers but I've not seen it on here yet... mabye this will be that thread in the future
    We are constantly telling you guys donít post if you donít know what you are posting, you are putting out incorrect information.

Most, not all, classes start with about 160 enlisted and 15 officers.

There are 6 classes per year not 3

Senior

SEAL Senior Chief

Quote Originally Posted by NotNuke View Post
    I've heard that for OCS there are generally about 200 candidates for 15ish slots. At USNA, there are roughly 30 spots for typically 80-100 candidates. Keep in mind that in the end it just comes down to you, statistics mean little to the individual. The reason that the academy has less applicants is because they've been through SEAL screeners already (mini-BUD/s) so they know if its what they want. The academy also has the advantage of the training environment. Say one Saturday you're like "hey, I want to go do push ups with Stew Smith," so you walk across the yard and get your *** kicked by Stew Smith. You also spend four years training with some of the other officers that will be in BUD/s with you. That all being said, I don't think one way is better than another.

I believe NROTC has the same number of billets as USNA, but far more applicants. To answer your other question, yes, 80-100 billets per year on average. That does not include enlisted SEALs who are going to OCS.
    Below are the officer career path start points for BUD/S attendence. The total number I mentioned includes all of these.

USNA
    NROTC
    OCS
    Lateral Transfer
    Inter-service Transfer

Senior

Thank you for the clarification Senior Cheif, told myself i wouldnt do that when i joined the forum. Won't happen again.
    Carpe Jugulum de Vita

Quote Originally Posted by JP287 View Post
    Got this out of a thread started by a candidate going through the selection process, from usnavyOCS.com (thanks for the tip nickdich). I think it gives some pretty good insight into the current state of things, but keep in mind this is only relevant to the OCS boards.

"66 applicants. 40 will have expenses paid for to come down to VA or CA during one of the three interview/PST dates. 10 "alternates" will be responsible for paying their own expenses if they so chose. 16 will not advance to the next round of consideration."

Something else to keep in mind, aren't all USNA grads commissioned upon graduation? As I understand it, if not selected for BUD/S at the Academy you will commission as a Naval officer anyway. If not selected through OCS, etc., you go about your life and try again for the next board, with no obligation. Might give that some thought if you're dead set against commissioning unless you get a slot at BUD/S.
    If you don't get selected for BUD/S out of the Academy you still get commissioned in the Navy or Marine Corps. You have service selection around November of your senior year. Even if you put SEAL as your first pick you're not guaranteed to get it. If you don't, you'll get something further down the list be it pilot, SWO, NFO, submariner, Marine, etc.