Thread: Situps & hard surface.

Situps & hard surface.

I can't do situp's on my floor, I heard that you can lean left or right on the way up to ease the pain slightly but my spine and tailbone just kill me whenever I do one on hard surface and my tailbone will roll. Is there any prevention besides mats?

Re: Situps & hard surface.

I know the feeling man. I was doing them for a while on hard surfaces. It would make the skin on my tailbone and lower back raw. Just try to find better places to do them

Use extra clothes, towels, whatever you can find for padding. There's no real prevention other than finding a softer surface. Why not go outside and do them in the grass?

Did situps for the PST once on a pool deck (rough, grippy concrete) without any padding - I've still got the scars along my tailbone to show for it. Never forgot my towel after that.

Your body will adapt to doing hundreds of sit ups on hard surfaces, if you slowly work up to it, building a callus on your tail bone. I do all of my sit ups on asphalt now, but I had the same problem that you have a while back. I'm 6ft, 150 pounds, skinny as **** and my tail bone sticks out like crazy.

Here's the way I progressed:
    Sit ups with multiple folded towels for at least 2-3 weeks, moving to a single or two folded towels, to carpet padding with no towels... at this point you can switch from carpet to single folded towel or straight up concrete. Do roughly 10 percent of your sit ups on a hard surface (If you do 500 sit ups, then 30-50 on concrete) and the rest on the carpet. Increase no more than 10 percent each week, keeping in mind how you're back is feeling. Go slow, you'll get there safely...

Quick story:
    I was in San Diego a while ago and happened to see a BUD/S class running near the amphib base. Is was awesome to see, but many of the guys had this like bloody splotch on the back of their t-shirts. Looked pretty painful getting...

I just slowly increased my numbers of situps each week, and now I do them all on a concrete floor with no padding or anything. It is definitely better to be ready now than later, like tfranc implied with the BUD/S class.

If you scoot your tailbone to just the right position, you can avoid it, however I never had a problem until I cracked/bone bruised by tailbone, so it may just be that that I occasionaly feel. Sorry if it doesn't help but it may.
    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, Navy Pilot

Thanks everyone I thought I was the only one, I'll try solutions out, keep 'em coming. The reason why I want to learn on hard surfaces is because of the dreadful grinder.

When I work with students one of the things I cover is the importance of maintaining a neutral pelvis while exercising. Imagine that your pelvis is a bowl of water; you want to be able to stand without the water spilling. Many people let the pelvis tilt forward (anterior tilt), which puts pressure on the posterior portion of the lumbar spine and may contribute to back pain and injury. This pressure is exaggerated if you carry extra weight, like a ruck or log or IBS.

The first step is to be aware of the pelvis and how to control it. Sit on a stability ball and practice isolating the muscles that move the pelvis forward or backward as well as side to side. Recognize the neutral position and work on maintaining it during daily activities (such as sitting down to meals, working at the computer, or watching TV). Inability to hold the pelvis neutral may be a result of tight hip flexors and lower back muscles (pull the pelvis forward) and weak abs, glutes and hamstrings (can’t hold the pelvis in place). So include appropriate stretching and strengthening activities into your fitness routine as necessary.

Keep a neutral pelvis when lying on your back to do exercises such as flutter kicks, leg levers, good morning darlings, reverse crunches, etc. When lying down, keep the small of the back pressed against the ground. You should not be able to slide a hand under the small of your back. This will also keep your tailbone from digging into the ground, and even on concrete or asphalt your buttocks should provide enough cushion to protect your tailbone. I work with students who roll out of BUD/S, and I’ve gotten good feedback from those who’ve gone on to complete BUD/S that keeping good pelvic position during Grinder PT eliminates the dreaded “Grinder Reminder”.
    Mike Caviston
    Director of Fitness, NSWCEN