Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoo-ya hey, did you swim today?

Re: Hoo-ya hey, did you swim today?!

What do you guys think of holding breath while doing the CSS? For example, today I would do a full CSS stroke, get my air like normal, and go into my second stroke, but when I surface the second time, I dont inhale or exhale - just hold my breath, then on the THIRD cycle, I breathe out underwater like normal and get a breathe on the third surface. I kept repeating this for 100 yard intervals (getting a breathe on every other stroke). I ended up doing a 500 yard swim with no goggles and breathing every other stroke. definitely challenged me a bit more. But I noticed even doing a regular 500 yard after doing this, it seems to help significantly (maybe its all mental?)

Quote Originally Posted by fargo007 View Post
    I'll go even further with this paradox and point out the difference in appearance - I use a video camera to time myself and also see what I look like (technique, stroke count, etc). It seems like the smoother and more technically correct I am swimming, the slower I am actually going. When I am rage swimming, looking sloppier than home-made sin, I am flying. I can turn a 1:31 100Y in a 25Y pool, but It sure isn't with poster-boy-lookin' technique.

Bizarre...
    When swimming technique may slow your swim at the beginning. More power based practising and swimmer goes faster.
    Consultate your swimming instructor also. Maybe technique is not quite well yet.

Quote Originally Posted by warhammer View Post
    What do you guys think of holding breath while doing the CSS? For example, today I would do a full CSS stroke, get my air like normal, and go into my second stroke, but when I surface the second time, I dont inhale or exhale - just hold my breath, then on the THIRD cycle, I breathe out underwater like normal and get a breathe on the third surface. I kept repeating this for 100 yard intervals (getting a breathe on every other stroke). I ended up doing a 500 yard swim with no goggles and breathing every other stroke. definitely challenged me a bit more. But I noticed even doing a regular 500 yard after doing this, it seems to help significantly (maybe its all mental?)
    Did your time improve? Keeping your head down keeps you more hydrodynamic (if you're not thrashing your head around) so you could see some time improvement. If you don't have great lung capacity, holding your breath can end up hurting you aerobically towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanb View Post
    Did your time improve? Keeping your head down keeps you more hydrodynamic (if you're not thrashing your head around) so you could see some time improvement. If you don't have great lung capacity, holding your breath can end up hurting you aerobically towards the end.
    Well the idea isn't for time improvement, it is to build lung capacity (hypoxic swimming). Im trying to improve & build my lungs, as that is the one thing that somewhat hinders me on higher intensity swims

Quote Originally Posted by warhammer View Post
    Well the idea isn't for time improvement, it is to build lung capacity (hypoxic swimming). Im trying to improve & build my lungs, as that is the one thing that somewhat hinders me on higher intensity swims
    Gothcha. In that case, that is a great idea. Doing that will definitely make it easier for you when do breath every stroke. Sorry for the confusion. PM me if you want some more advice on building lung capacity. I'm happy to help.

PR'd my 500 at 8:15, feels good :D

Just wish I could drop my run time as fast as I drop my swim time

4.7.12 swim workout:
    1000yd hypoxic freestyle @ 100yd intervals
    strokes per breath: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2

1050yd CSS (focus on form and technique as I'm trying to minimize strokes per lap)
    25yd, 50, 100, 200, 300, 200, 100, 50, 25

250yd warm up
    10x100s with 70 second rests at 1:33, 1:34, 1:34, 1:34, 1:34, 1:34, 1:33, 1:32, 1:34, 1:34
    then
    1000yd with fins at 16:48
    no cool down

500 yard PR, 7:58.

Hey iamtalisin, when you are hitting your 500 yard swim, do you go easy for the first few laps, then pump it up, then go all out? Or do you find that you just go all out from the beginning and try to hold it there? I've had good success in times with cranking the intensity quickly, but then I feel very wiped after the workout, and I get what I call "spicy throat". Just where you feel almost raw from breathing so hard and fast. Tried a 500 yard swim going 100% right away, felt very wiped and got a 9:04. Tried pacing the first 250, then going fast for the next 150, then all out for the last 100, got a 9:23. Felt I had enough energy left to rock a PST hard. Thoughts? Think I could hit it faster if I paced out the first 100 and incrementally increased effort? On a PST, though, would it be worth it? Appreciate the advice.

For the swim I hit it pretty hard from the beginning. I used to build up, but I just get faster times when I start hard right away. I think saving energy on the swim for the rest of the PST is pointless because 10 minutes is sufficient rest time. I check my watch at the 250 mark and I try to make the last 250 faster then the first no matter how tired my arms are. As you saw for yourself, you had a better time hitting it hard from the beginning. I don't get spicy throat unless I am dehydrated or didn't sleep the night before. My time about 6 months ago was 8:45ish, and I think 3 main things have helped me get to sub 8.

1. When you get to the wall, take a quick breath and get the f off of that wall as fast as possible, as soon as your feet touch it, they should already be bent and pushing off. Learn to time your strokes so that you're not doing a half stroke when you get to the wall; glide in to the wall at the end of a stroke without having that awkward 2-3 extra feet you have to get in if that makes sense.

2. Sprinter side stroke. Pull that 2nd arm immediately after the 1st pull, don't wait, pull hard and be violent about it. My form suffers during this but my time doesn't so I'm doing it for now. The first time I started getting the hang of this, my 100s were getting cut down dramatically. I then realized if I could maintain that same speed throughout the whole 500 without exhausting myself, I could shave 30 seconds. The first time I tried it, I remember my arms being done after about 100, and then I went back to regular CSS for the remainder and noticed no improvement. I kept working on it and over several months I just built more stamina and now I can keep up the strength for the entire 500.

3. Your workouts and your resting are the most important aspects to pay attention to. My most common speed workout is 10x100s, leaving the wall every 3 minutes, the faster you go, the longer rest time you get. Keep track of your results every time. Do a 2-400 warm up and cool down every time. My most common long workouts will either be a 1000, 1650, or 2000 for time. In an average week I will do 2 speed and 2 longer workouts. Most of the time I only PR if I have had 2 days of rest and a good warm up. I've seen this site recommending you do at least to 1000-2000 every time you're in the pool. To me that means do at least 2000 every time I'm in the pool.

Sorry for the essay, hope you got something useful out of that.

500Y of dolphin only for core work, then a 500Y CSS very relaxed pace in 08:55. I was working on body position and form, wasn't trying for time but was quite surprised to find I was sub 8. I felt like a million bucks when I finished. PLENTY left in the tank.

My 8 year old daughter also swam her first full 500Y today. Combination of CSS and FS. I kept watching her in the next lane and she was hitting it hard.

--Fargo007

250 warm up
    10x100 leaving every 3 minutes
    1:28, 1:27, 1:29, 1:29, 1:29, 1:30, 1:30, 1:31, 1:32, 1:32
    250 cool down dolphin kick w fins, no hands

200y Warm-up Freestyle
    8X75y Freestyle
    400y Freestyle (Pull w/ Buoy)
    300y Freestyle hypoxic training
    2x200y Freestyle Hypoxic training
    500y CSS 7:33 PR!
    100y Freestyle cool-down

warm up
    500 w/ arms behind back even on turns w/ fins 10:58
    500 w/ no legs CSS 11:47
    cool down

SKP 150yd each FR
    2 x 300yd (100 FR, 100 CSS, 100 FR)
    8 x 25yd sprint (1-4 FR 5-8 IM)
    2 x 200yd (100 K CSS weak side 100 P CSS weak side)
    4 x 50yd CSS odd FR even
    20 sec rest intervals throughout
    50 min total time

800 freestyle
    800 CSS
    200 cooldown

1000 CSS PR - 15:47

Did 20 minutes of swimming today in a pool fed by the local creek. Holy **** that water was cold, 48 degrees. As long as I keep moving, though, I can stay warm enough!

3x500 css
    8:46
    8:41
    9:02 (stroke started to fall to crap)