Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo Policy

Administrator

Re: Tattoo Policy

You should be fine.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
    John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

I'm a newly ordained practitioner of Buddhism. I plan to get a tat of my dharma name on my arm. Is it acceptable to get a tat of religious value?
    "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Administrator

Religious tattoo shouldn't be a problem. We are more concerned about gang tats, vulgar/obscene tats, racist tats, etc. Especially good if you can keep it above the elbow.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
    John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

I know this might have already been answered in another thread, but even though it seems it may not be a problem, what are the regulations on tattoos in the inner forearm that would be visible in any for of shirt that is above the elbow? Also, does the Officer tattoo policy apply to Warrant Officers (for those just pondering the idea for way down the road)?

The tattoo policy is pretty simple: 1) 5 tattoos max, 2) no sex, drug, racial, gang 3) Nothing on the neck, or head, or face 4) since some tattoos may be larger than others, Navy Recruiting Command waiver shop will look at pictures of the tattoo and decide if it is only one tattoo, or should it be counted as several tattoos.

Before anyone comes in here and asks "but what if?" there is not what if. You are not special, we have rules and standards and if you are outside of those standards, you need to find something else to do. You do not determine what is acceptable and what is not, the navy does.

Warrant officers fall on a different category than your "officer tattoos" questions. These guys have been in the navy a while and they do not need to go to a selection board to gain entrance into the navy. They are already in the navy and their selection to CWO is based on their military record. Your question is more about the difference between apples and oranges.

I hope this helps!

Senior Chief Gio
    Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

Former SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
    U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL

That answer is actually just what I was looking for, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by NCCS GIO View Post
    The tattoo policy is pretty simple: 1) 5 tattoos max,
    Is that 5 tattoos total throughout your entire body, or is that 5 tattoos visible in uniform?

I want to get a tattoo before I go to bootcamp in Dec. I am in DEP right now. Am I allowed to get one or not.

Quote Originally Posted by maffuccisf View Post
    I want to get a tattoo before I go to bootcamp in Dec. I am in DEP right now. Am I allowed to get one or not.
    Yes you can, but read the thread next time.

Yes, I did search the forums, yes I did read the thread (including all of Senior Chief's posts):

Senior Chief, when you say, "
    You can get the Tatt when you get into the Teams, but I highly recommend you not get any tats before that.
    ", are you referring specifically to Special Warfare Operator tattoos or ANY tattoos whatsoever?

I ask this because I was interested in getting a Navy tattoo on either my chest or shoulder, but am hesitant because I'm not sure if this will ruin my chances of attempting to cross-rate to SO or not.

Thanks!

I have read through all these posts and keep seeing a 5 tattoo max rule. My question is does this apply to current Navy members trying to make the switch to SEALs? I currently have 9 tattoos all of which are covered with long sleeves. I have never had any complaints from my current command even when my sleeves are rolled in uniform or in PT gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Navyguy11586 View Post
    I have read through all these posts and keep seeing a 5 tattoo max rule. My question is does this apply to current Navy members trying to make the switch to SEALs? I currently have 9 tattoos all of which are covered with long sleeves. I have never had any complaints from my current command even when my sleeves are rolled in uniform or in PT gear.
    Waivers.

If you have the waivers for your tattoo's you should be fine from what I am told. I am currently trying for my SWCC contract and I have about 30 waivers to fill out including a partial on the inside of my left index finger. I was told by my recruiter I shouldn't worry about it due to my clean record and good asvab scores. Now I just need to boost my pst and I should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    Waivers.

If you have the waivers for your tattoo's you should be fine from what I am told. I am currently trying for my SWCC contract and I have about 30 waivers to fill out including a partial on the inside of my left index finger. I was told by my recruiter I shouldn't worry about it due to my clean record and good asvab scores. Now I just need to boost my pst and I should be good to go.
    Please don't tell us it's a mustache tat.
    Somewhere a true believer is training to kill us. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs; his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. He is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at night, he is home. He knows only the cause.

For this reason, we do not quit.

Quote Originally Posted by JrTadpole93 View Post
    Please don't tell us it's a mustache tat.
    haha no its not, it was a small memorial tattoo for a friend who died. I have since removed it.

Hopefully someone is still watching this thread. I have a total of 9 tattoos, in which a majority of them reside on my forearms and biceps. I have been getting mixed answers and was hoping somebody could give me some MORE insight as to whay I should do. I went to a recruiter last summer and was told my neck tattoo (NP standing for North Philly) needed to be removed (which I attend an appointment in a week to get it removed) BUT the 2 tattoos on my hands were "waiver-able". One says "HEART" the other says "LESS". As of now the tattoo on my neck is running me 275.00$ per session with anywhere between 3-9 sessions being needed. As you can see it is going to cost me a pretty penny but I saved up since last summer. Now my dilema is the hand tattoos. I want to make sure they are waiver-able but I would also like to know if that waiver would effect me. I did read from another thread that if you have waivers for tattoos NSW generally do not put that into any type of consideration as far as drafting you, and it really is just for documentation. They say the less waivers the better, so would these waivers hinder me in anyway? I would really like an admin's advice, but anybody who has about a 95% sure answer is good too. Thanks

I think you cant have or get tattoos in the DEP program, don't quote me on that. That is what my father told me I belive.

Rfeliz, did you get the neck tattoo removed?
    Seems like a good idea to post the stage of training you are currently in:
    Pre-MEPS until June 2014

I began the process already, they said beforehand it would take between 3-9 sessions (rough estimate) at 250.00 per session. I got the first session done a week ago, and it now just like faded white white, but he said withing 3 months to come back for my second session. I hurts no more than getting the tattoo in the first place. And if I had the money I would surely get my 2 hand tattoos removed! But hopefully like the recruiter said to me last summer "they are waiverable"

if you get that neck one completely gone, and assuming you don't have any other waivers.... you should golden. I have a full sleeve, some tattoos on my hips, stomach, ribs, chest, thighs, legs and feet..... and if i'm good, you should be too.

Just an update, I decided to get the hands done. The removal guy said it would be 350.00 each hand separate, but if I make sure to do them the next time I get my neck done, he will do EVERYTHING for 450.00 a session. So as of now my hands are wrapped up, it hurt WAY worse on them but I just sucked it up and dealt with it. And in 3 months I come back to get everything done for the same price. I basically decided I don't want to go back with my neck tattoo removed and them say "oh well you can't get in with the hands". I want the whole process to go as smooth as possible. Less waivers, the higher your chances.