Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUD/s Indoc. candidate profiles

burnz

BUD/s Indoc. candidate profiles

To instructors or anyone with knowledge of,

What is the average class size upon initiation of the indoctrination phase?

How many of the candidates have optimum PST scores (sub9/100/100/25/sub930)?

I know most of the officers have those scores, but what about the enlisted candidates?

Former Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team Moderator

Re: BUD/s Indoc. candidate profiles

Burnz,

The PST scores for each class are slightly different. SEAL Challenge Contracts -- where is how civilians get selected to come to BUD/S -- are given out regionally, and each of the 26 regions in the country sends its best candidates. We have been seeing better and better PST scores come in from every region, which means competition is getting harder at the regional level. That's good news for the community. With the addition of BUD/S Prep up in Great Lakes, the students who start here in Coronado at BUD/S Orientation are coming in at a much higher level of fitness/readiness. The average BUD/S Orientation class start around 200-230.
    Rosie Heiss

Rosie Heiss,

If the average orientation class is around 200-230, are there also figures related to the average graduating class size? Are only roughly 20-30% graduating still, or has the higher standard of physical readiness improved this statistic much?

Former Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team Moderator

Cloud,

The average graduation rate is about 33% right now. Although orientation classes are 200-230, 1st Phase generally start with about 160-180 students. The best students from orientation move forward.
    Rosie Heiss

Rosie Heiss,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The other statistic I would be curious about is if there is any connection between the candidates' respective regions and their graduation rates. I know SEAL contracts are given out regionally, so I'd be curious to see which regions or which kinds of regions put out the most and least successful candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Rosie Heiss,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The other statistic I would be curious about is if there is any connection between the candidates' respective regions and their graduation rates. I know SEAL contracts are given out regionally, so I'd be curious to see which regions or which kinds of regions put out the most and least successful candidates.

SWONEC puts out the most successful candidates (New England candidates)
    Strength and Honor
    SWONEC Victor
    HOOYAH

Is Virginia apart of SWONEC? If not, what region is it apart of?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonar5 View Post
    Is Virginia apart of SWONEC? If not, what region is it apart of?

Virginia is part of the South Atlantic candidates.
    "Excuses are tools of incompetence used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything."

shalazaar

Class 283 went into Indoc or B/O with 247 candidates. They then entered first phase with 163. Went into Hell Week with 96 and came out with 56 and 2 medically rolled forward from thursday, putting Class 283 with 58 original class members. Roll-ins put the class at mid 70's. They will enter third phase with 45-46 original members.

Pain is imminent. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Heiss View Post
    Cloud,

The average graduation rate is about 33% right now. Although orientation classes are 200-230, 1st Phase generally start with about 160-180 students. The best students from orientation move forward.

The best students move forward? meaning the ones with the lowest scores are sent back to the fleet? or best meaning the ones who do not quit?
    "You only have what you take with you"

Quote Originally Posted by shalazaar View Post
    Class 283 went into Indoc or B/O with 247 candidates. They then entered first phase with 163. Went into Hell Week with 96 and came out with 56 and 2 medically rolled forward from thursday, putting Class 283 with 58 original class members. Roll-ins put the class at mid 70's. They will enter third phase with 45-46 original members.
    Now that this thread has been revived, I would also like to dig for information. I'm interested in the answer to RMcCall's question. I'm also interested in something from the quoted post, which I didn't see when it was initially posted.
    Went into Hell week with 96 and came out with 56 and 2 medically rolled forward from thursday, putting Class 283 with 58 original class members.
    Rolled forward from Thursday? So, you can be medically rolled past Hell Week if you get injured or sick during it? If so, where does that cut-off begin, or is it a case-by-case decision? I was always just under the assumption that a med-roll put you back into the same part of training you were injured in; if you were injured in Hell Week, when you came back you would start Hell Week again.
    I stood and stared; the sky was lit,
    The sky was stars all over it,
    I stood, I knew not why,
    Without a wish, without a will,
    I stood upon that silent hill
    And stared into the sky until
    My eyes were blind with stars and still
    I stared into the sky.
    -Ralph Hodgson, "The Song of Honour"

Administrator

The short answer to this is that it is largely irrelevant to you. If you get caught up in all the possibilities, percentages, and so forth you may be losing focus of your goal for success, which means nothing and no one will stand in your way until you've got a trident on your chest. All the rest is for everyone else who is worried about not making it. These are the thoughts that will come back to haunt you during training until you quit. Set them aside now, or you will end up convincing yourself that it's okay to fail because the system is designed to let you down. Candidates begin class or get rolled for various reasons and it is up to the judgement of the staff as to when they resume training. That's it.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
    John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Those percentages are based on other people they have no connection between you and training. However I was wondering what the total drop out rate is for officers because the selection board only takes the best of the best so wouldnt that mean that officers are not expected to drop out unless for medical reasons?

Administrator

Officers tend to DOR at a much lower rate than enlisted. Four out of 75 helmets on the ground right now in Week 5 of First Phase, are officers.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
    John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

jolks09

Burnz,

The PST scores for each class are slightly different. SEAL Challenge Contracts -- where is how civilians get selected to come to BUD/S -- are given out regionally, and each of the 26 regions in the country sends its best candidates. We have been seeing better and better PST scores come in from every region, which means competition is getting harder at the regional level. That's good news for the community. With the addition of BUD/S Prep up in Great Lakes, the students who start here in Coronado at BUD/S Orientation are coming in at a much higher level of fitness/readiness. The average BUD/S Orientation class start around 200-230.

You said they send the best candidates from each region, so what does that mean for the candidates who have passing PST scores but are not the best in region? Do they just get moved to a later class or do they have to retake it agian or..

What he's saying is that if you don''t have a good enough PST then you wont get a contract. Thats why i would suggest not even getting a navy contract until you have elevated PST scores so your not crunched for time to get a SEAL contract before you ship in case your like me whose in the DEP for less than 3 months. However i believe my case is a rarer one

Cloud,

I know this is an old thread, but I was very curious about this too. What defines the "best" students from orientation? Do the instructors pick the students they think are the most promising or is it just whoever has the highest PST scores in the class?

Also do the students that don't get chosen for 1st Phase get sent to the fleet or do they get a shot at the next class?

SEAL Senior Chief

See Scott Williams comment from 1 year ago..worry about what you can control. Train hard and stay motivated.

Senior Chief

The comments confused me.. Why not just pool the candidates like a big mixing pot instead of quartering it up for Areas shouldn't the best be moving forward and those that are not keep trying? The regions are the thing confusing me.. Correct me if i'm wrong please but i would not want to be told i made my spec ops contract and then be told we found someone better at orientation?
    6'3-178lbs-17 - Future SEAL hopeful

I have been reading in this thread and noticed in just about everywhere I look at the Numbers from Basic orientation to first phase... what decides who goes to First phase. Obviously the extended PST, but is there a certain amount of people they can take or what? someone please explain how exactly that works... Also, if you are not chosen to go to Phase, are you simply put back in the fleet?