Thread: SEAL Grinder PT

SEAL Grinder PT

How's it going, my name is Anthony and I had a quick question about this exercise program I found. I stumbled on a website/program called SEAL grinder PT run by a former SEAL, Brad McLeod. (www.sealgrinderpt.com). It seems like a pretty solid program and I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it and if you have, would you recommend it.

Just some background info, I am formerly a midshipman at the US Merchant Marine Academy and I resigned from it a month ago to enlist AD and should receive my NSW contact in the next week or two. I'm just waiting on the next draft but my pst scores from last week were:

push:86
    Sit: 88
    Pull: 20
    Run: 9:30
    Swim: 10:36
    (ASVAB 96)

Re: SEAL Grinder PT

I've been checking out the SEAL Grinder PT website for the past couple hours. It appears to me, that it is just another crossfit spin-off trying to make a name and a buck. That being said. There are lots of threads on here about crossfit and their associated spin-offs. The general consensus is that the NSW PTG will better prepare you for BUD/S.
    "Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" Shakespeare
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke

Administrator

As part of our rules of engagement for this website, we do not endorse private "SEAL training" websites. We have created the Physical Training Guide specifically to prepare potential candidates. Our fitness director, Mike Caviston, designed the program and it has proven useful. And, we aren't trying to sell anything here, it's all free. Your PST score is good. You may want to shoot for 100/100/25/8:30/8:30 in order to be the most competitive against other candidates trying to grab the 40 positions we have available, nationwide, each month.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
    John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Does everyone have to take the C-SORT because i talked to someone in my recruiters office and he said since he had competitive PST scores he didnt have to take it, but i thought that the C-SORT was a mandatory part of the application process so i was wondering if you could verify this?

Quote Originally Posted by mmarino View Post
    Does everyone have to take the C-SORT because i talked to someone in my recruiters office and he said since he had competitive PST scores he didnt have to take it, but i thought that the C-SORT was a mandatory part of the application process so i was wondering if you could verify this?
    There's a major difference between being physically capable of going to BUDS, and having the mental capacity to handle the stresses of BUDS. Yes, it is mandatory that you have to take the C-SORT. As far as I know, from previous experience, there are 3 requirements to being eligible for an SO contract: certain PST scores, certain ASVAB scores, and the C-SORT. The point of the C-SORT is just to make sure you're not mentally unstable, and you are capable of handling mental stress.
    "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Williams View Post
    As part of our rules of engagement for this website, we do not endorse private "SEAL training" websites. We have created the Physical Training Guide specifically to prepare potential candidates. Our fitness director, Mike Caviston, designed the program and it has proven useful. And, we aren't trying to sell anything here, it's all free. Your PST score is good. You may want to shoot for 100/100/25/8:30/8:30 in order to be the most competitive against other candidates trying to grab the 40 positions we have available, nationwide, each month.
    I have been following the PTG, sometimes substituting/adding different workouts here and there to focus on a specific area. But it is definitely a great program. I just was curious about that website and if anyone has heard of it. I actually just got my contract this week and dropped my swim to 9:42 and run to 9:15. The PTG has definitely helped in thsoe areas!