Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Nutrition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition?

Im wondering if I'm in a good range with nutrition. I'm a very active teen. I swim for my high school in the winter and for a club team in the summer. And then I run Spring Track and Fall/Summer XC for my school. On top of all that I weightlift after school. I'm almost 16 years old. I usually get around 4000 calories a day. About 51% from Carbs, 25% from Protein, and 24% from Fats. My breakfast and lunch is usually the same everyday.
    Breakfast: 2 cups oatmeal, 1 bagel w/ cream cheese, 2 eggs, 12oz (600 calories) mass gainer
    Lunch: Deli meat sandwich, 2 Nature Valley Granola Bars, a cup of fruit, a cup of Greek yogurt.
    Dinner is usually whatever my mother makes. Which usually consists of a protein and a side of veggies and carbs.
    Is this a healthy amount, or should I be eating more/less?

Depends... Are losing, maintaining, or gaining weight? Should you be losing, maintaining, or gaining weight? As long as you are getting adequate micronutrients and protein, you can freely adjust calories to achieve whatever you need. At glance, maybe throw in another calcium source and slightly more fruits/veggies.

Comment

you're 16 and still growing so yes you should have a good balanced diet but you don't have to over do it. Just make sure you're getting plenty of every color on your plate and that you're eating enough for your activity level.

Comment

Doesn't sound bad for your situation. You're a young athlete, and young athletes need calories. You won't get those calories from tilapia and egg whites, aka, eating like a sedentary old lady, but you're not eating like that. Don't be afraid of cholesterol, don't be afraid of fat. Red meat, butter, bacon, eggs, mayo, potatoes, rice, corn, chicken thighs, ground beef, steak, salmon, tuna, whole milk, plenty of greens and fruit, thick chunky bread - these are the foods of a young athlete, or any athlete really when you get down to it.

If you're counting your macros, which is sounds like you are, one thing you could do is try to get at least 30g of your protein from an animal source per meal, as well as trying to get at least .9g per pound of bodyweight every day. The amino acid profile of animal sourced protein is something in the range of 2-3 times better than protein from plant sources, meaning you need 2-3 times the protein from a plant source to produce the same level of MPS (muscle protein synthesis, aka, gains/recovery) that you could with animal source protein.

Leucine, an essential amino acid and probably one of the more essential amino acids in the profile profile for stimulating MPS, is ingested most efficiently with animal source protein. Getting at least 3-4g of leucine per meal (about 30-40g of animal sourced protein) is kind of the best return on investment for efficiently elevating MPS.
        Last edited by tfranc; 06-11-2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfranc View Post
          Doesn't sound bad for your situation. You're a young athlete, and young athletes need calories. You won't get those calories from tilapia and egg whites, aka, eating like a sedentary old lady, but you're not eating like that. Don't be afraid of cholesterol, don't be afraid of fat. Red meat, butter, bacon, eggs, mayo, potatoes, rice, corn, chicken thighs, ground beef, steak, salmon, tuna, whole milk, plenty of greens and fruit, thick chunky bread - these are the foods of a young athlete, or any athlete really when you get down to it.

If you're counting your macros, which is sounds like you are, one thing you could do is try to get at least 30g of your protein from an animal source per meal, as well as trying to get at least .9g per pound of bodyweight every day. The amino acid profile of animal sourced protein is something like 3 times better than protein from plant sources, meaning you need 3 times the protein from a plant source to produce the same level of MPS (muscle protein synthesis, aka, gains/recovery) that you could with animal source protein.

Leucine, an essential amino acid and probably one of the more essential amino acids in the profile profile for stimulating MPS, is ingested most efficiently with animal source protein. Getting at least 3-4g of leucine per meal (about 30-40g of animal sourced protein) is sort of the baseline to efficiently elevate MPS.
          I've been lurking or posting on this site for 5 years. Your advice is always golden.
          "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by JJones View Post

I've been lurking or posting on this site for 5 years. Your advice is always golden.
            Dude, not as golden as your ability to find buried informational treasure and post it here.

thank you J, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by tfranc View Post

Dude, not as golden as your ability to find buried informational treasure and post it here.

thank you J, much appreciated
              Anytime dude. I've just spent a lot of time sifting through a lot of bs on a lot of sites to find any information I can. As a result, I give you the good stuff.
              "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

Comment

what macro counter or app do you guys use if you use one? I want to start tracking what I eat but it just gets too time consuming and difficult. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks and NEVER QUIT

Comment

Myfitnesspal is great

Comment

Hi there, your diet plan is good. Most of them suggested to follow a balanced diet and I have also heard about many diet plans which are easily available on the internet. Recently my friend told me to follow----- I think you can also check for it.
                    Last edited by Scott Williams; 4 days ago. Reason: Violation of rules of engagement: no commercial website links

Comment

Working...
                    X