Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
2 of 2 < >

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Weight Gain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Gain?

I have a very hard time gaining weight. It takes me about 2-3 weeks just to gain 3-5 pounds. I started drinking half a gallon to a gallon of milk a day because I read that that can drastically increase the amount of weight I put on. Is that bad or unhealthy?

If you're not gaining weight you're probably either not eating enough, on the wrong lifting program, or both. As for the milk thing, there are probably better ways to get those calories lol but I don't know if it's bad for you, thats more of a question for a dietician.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman4 View Post
      If you're not gaining weight you're probably either not eating enough, on the wrong lifting program, or both. As for the milk thing, there are probably better ways to get those calories lol but I don't know if it's bad for you, thats more of a question for a dietician.
      I track my calories and I eat about 2900 a day without the milk.The lifting program could definitely be part of my problem though. I

Comment

With the lifting, depending on how long you have till you plan on joining the navy, you should go on a hypertrophy program. Cut back on your running and swimming and your lifting should move toward higher reps and sets. If you have the money, check out Jeff Nichols hypertrophy. If you're eating right you should gain a good amount of weight on it.

Comment

Do not forget the difference between gaining weight and gaining weight the right way. Strive to gain weight while increasing your strength and endurance. Gain muscle mass, not fat. Otherwise you will grow and your PST scores will diminish. The more you weigh, the more you have the lift with every pushup, sit up, and pull up. Keep that in mind. Gaining weight the right way will take time and hard work. It can be done but the quick fix will cause you more issues down the road than you realize.

Comment

If you can't gain weight eat more and you should should be tracking your calories and protein. You said you are eating about 2900 calories a day and not gaining weight you need to add 250-500 calories to that number and eat that. Keep adding calories until you start gaining about .5-1 pound per week. Follow a good program such as Jeff Nichols programs.

Comment

Drinking some whole milk is good but I

Comment

I've never understood this question when it's asked this way on here.

Why do you need to gain weight? Are you malnourished? Are you recovering from chemotherapy or a severe illness? If not, there is absolutely zero reason you need to explicitly "gain weight". Why are you trying to add pounds to your frame simply to add pounds?

Train hard, eat enough to fuel your training, make gains, ace the PST. Don't worry about the number on the scale unless it's going down or up quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by tfranc View Post
                  I've never understood this question when it's asked this way on here.

Why do you need to gain weight? Are you malnourished? Are you recovering from chemotherapy or a severe illness? If not, there is absolutely zero reason you need to explicitly "gain weight". Why are you trying to add pounds to your frame simply to add pounds?

Train hard, eat enough to fuel your training, make gains, ace the PST. Don't worry about the number on the scale unless it's going down or up quickly.
                  The reason I want to gain weight is beceuase I currently weigh only 130lbs and I am aiming to be 150-160

Comment

Originally posted by murraysean960 View Post

The reason I want to gain weight is beceuase I currently weigh only 130lbs and I am aiming to be 150-160
                    What do you think weighing 30 more lbs is going to do for you?

Comment

I understand where you're coming from. At 130lbs you could certainly be able to do the calisthenics, running, swimming, obstacle course etc. of BUD/S. But at the same time, at 130lbs, logs, boats on heads, handling scuba diving equipment (upwards of 70lbs) will be difficult. You also said it takes you 2-3 weeks to gain 3-5 pounds, which seems like you're on track if that's muscle gain, not fat.
                      You don't want to add pounds just to get higher on the scale, you want to add lean muscle mass. Make sure you're on a good hypertrophy program, figure out what your macro-nutrient needs are, and eat eat eat. You don't need to weigh your food and count calories per se, but you should be gaining weight. Plenty of resources out there to know if you're consuming enough calories and the right kinds of food. Good luck.

Comment

my philosophy is to eat clean so you can eat more, things like chicken( pretty bland) ,rice, potato, beans , and plenty of greens, add some fish too. But remember eat a ton if your goal is to presumably gain muscle just diversify your diet a bit and eat alot!. but remember your gonna be running and swimming alot during buds so every extra pound is just more weight ya got to carry with ya so be causious.

Comment

Working...
                        X