Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

80/20 Question, and Rocket Fins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80/20 Question, and Rocket Fins

I've been training with a pair Rocket Fins that were used going through PST training and the SWCC pipeline about 6 years ago. I wanted to know if the Rocket Fins used at BUD/S are a standard, or if there are different models? If this pair was used for SWCC training they should be good for me to use, right?

Another question: I've read about training with fins approximately 80% vs 20% without fins. Is the reason for this just for getting used to swimming with fins, or to build strong legs and ankles? I used to travel professionally as an underwater photographer, doing deep dives, shallow dives, freediving, carrying a huge camera in big waves in Hawai'i, riptides, currents, etc. so I'm comfortable swimming with various types of fins.

On the other hand, I don't have any formal training with swimming techniques in a pool and am not as comfortable barefoot.

Should I spend more time focusing on my barefoot swim? Maybe 50/50? Appreciate any insight.

Can't advise on rocket fins, in regards to training I can't see that there would be a major difference. In regards to barefoot swimming I would say focus on swimming like that until you are comfortable in a variety of aspects (speed like <9:00/8:30 500 yard, endurance, water confidence like treading and the like). If you're comfortable with fins then don't lose that ability and still train with fins but put more time into being comfortable without them as well. Crawl -> walk -> run

With the recommended 80/20 it's both for being used to swimming with fins since just about all the swimming you do in the pipeline will be with fins and also for building up legs/hip flexors/ankles to the unique stresses that fin swimming puts on your body

Comment

E46hooyah,

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense what you advised, man.

Comment

Adding to the good advice here, you want to start working with fins if you have a PST time 8:30 or better, or have under six months before you ship. Anything other than that is putting the cart before the horse.

Comment

Working...
        X