Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

CSS critique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS critique

Ive been milling around this site for a couple years now and have learned a lot of valuable information. I have tried to apply what I have learned to my swim over the past couple months and here is a video of me swimming 100y in roughly 1:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqbUPMXz6cA

Still a work in progress, critique please.

Re: CSS critique

Camera is way too far away to give an real advice. You seem to be doing well as youre on a >9 min pace if you can maintain it for the full 500

Comment

Like Kieran said the camera is too far away to give detailed feedback but for the most part it looks good. Your stroke looked long and efficient, your head didn’t come up too far out of the water, your body looked flat, kicked looked solid, it looks pretty good. If you want a more detailed critique post a video with a closer view of your stroke.

One thing I noticed, however, at least from what I could tell was that your first lap you took six strokes and the last you took 8. Try to even out the stroke count per length as much as possible, especially in such a short distance. In the last 50 or 100 of the 500 it is ok to increase your stroke count by a stroke or two, but for short distances really try to keep it even. That will really help your efficiency and your endurance. If that means going slower, then go slower but keep the stroke count you are aiming for until you build the endurance, then worry about time. Efficiency is the key in all swimming, but especially in the CSS.Work your efficiency by maintaining an even stroke count for long distances, and for interval training. Training by stroke count is a critical part of swim training that is often overlooked but is extremely beneficial. Hope that helped.

Comment

Got one lane closer, the first lane was taken once again. Hope this is a little easier to critique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgCH...ature=youtu.be

Comment

The camera is still way too far. First, have your body filming you stand at the edge of the pool and walk up and down and follow you as you are swimming. That will give you the closest view and us the best chance of finding something to critique. There are only a couple of strokes in there that are entirely visible and we need a much bigger sample size to help you out. And as far as not getting the first lane, you could kindly ask the lady in lane 1 that you are filming and see if she would switch lanes with you, or ask her if you could "borrow" the lane for a couple of minutes to film. I'm sure she would say yes to either one. Again though, from what I can tell your stroke looks pretty good. Nothing obvious that needs major work.

Comment

That fish eye lens Lol...

Comment

It's hard to pick out any detail like the streamline position, what the mechanics of the kick look like, etc.

But I agree - there appear to be no issues unless you have a specific concern. That's a good pace for a competitive time. I am assuming that's a 25Y pool. What are your 500Y times like now?

--Fargo007

Comment

I recently swam a 9:15 500y and i'm assuming that it is just a conditioning issue at this point. Ill try for lane one to get some better footage. scott1995, the only camera I own happens to be a GoPro so the fish eye is inevitable haha.

- does the fact that i'm not doing the double arm pull off the wall hinder my 500y time greatly or is that not a big issue?
                thankyou in advance!

Comment

Haha I wasn't putting it down at all. I figured that it was. why not have someone swim beside you and hold the camera underwater and have that view point to? could be helpful for sure. Personally i use my iphone and that works just fine

Comment

Jumper - if you are an advanced swimmer the double arm pull will definitely make you a faster swimmer without any question. The only concern with it is that it takes up a lot of oxygen and will fatigue you quickly from having to hold your breath off each wall. If you have an efficient pull down and stroke then I would definitely recommend using the double arm pull because it is much quicker, but if your strokes is inefficient and uses up too much energy then I would probably recommend not using it because it will just use up way too much energy and fatigue you really quickly. The only way to find out if it is beneficial for you right now is to test it out. Do pace 50s, 100s, or even a full time 500 using pull downs and not using pull downs and compare them to see if there is any difference in time, difference in effort, etc. That will give you a good idea of where you are at with them. Either way though you should work on them as least a little bit every time you swim because in the long run they will help you out.

And like scott1995 said if you have a GoPro you should definitely post some underwater footage! GoPros are super cool and are an awesome piece of technology, and getting underwater footage of swimming is extremely useful in critiquing technique.

Comment

Working...
                    X