Recruiter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiter

Hey everyone, I'm working with a recruiter down here in Miami, FL. I took my asvab a little over a month ago and scored a 76 AFQT. We had some obstacles with LASIK paperwork but now that it's all worked out we are projecting that I go to MEPS first week of February to start DEP. When my recruiter told me I scored a 76 I asked him if I qualified for SO with the line scores. He responded saying yes, they should be.. I decided not to request him to make sure until all my LASIK med reads came back approved. Now that they are, shall I ask him to make sure they are good before I go to MEPS?
    Thanks in advance.
    -Curtis

Definitely. Ultimately the recruiter works for you. Ask him anything you think you need to. Take charge of your journey. Stay on top of things and be aggressive.
    "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

Comment

Hey Curthom, congrats on moving forward man. Do you mind if I ask, what LASIK paperwork obstacles did you go through? I had PRK in September and I'll be reaching my 6 month post-op period in March, anything I should know? Do I have to wait until the exact 6 month post op date for the recruiter to submit the paperwork to MEPS for approval, or can I go a little earlier? Again, sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Comment

Definitely make sure all your questions are answered before you sign. There is a way to calculate it yourself using your ASVAB scores. My recruiter put my scores into a matrix and it showed me all the rates I qualified for.
        I had a little bump also with my lasik paperwork but finally got it all ironed out and will be going to MEPS this Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by anastomosis13 View Post
          Hey Curthom, congrats on moving forward man. Do you mind if I ask, what LASIK paperwork obstacles did you go through? I had PRK in September and I'll be reaching my 6 month post-op period in March, anything I should know? Do I have to wait until the exact 6 month post op date for the recruiter to submit the paperwork to MEPS for approval, or can I go a little earlier? Again, sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.
          Since I did not have PRK I am not sure. I had LASIK almost four years ago and did not get all of my post op refractions done. In those four years I misplaced some of the paperwork. Had to go back to my surgeon and get everything they had which took 2 weeks because it was in "storage". We sent that out to MEPS and they then came back saying I needed to go to a different optometrist and have a manifest refraction. Did that, got all the paperwork and we sent that out. They came back once more with another worksheet the optometrist had to fill out. Now it's all cleared. I would just wait the 6 months and make sure you have no complications. When I had the surgery back in march of 2013 I went to MEPS the following June because my recruiter at the time said I would be fine. The doctors sent me home and said I need to wait the 6 months and get all of my checkups and paperwork in order before coming back. So yes as far as I know, you have to wait at least 6 months.
          -Curtis

Comment

Originally posted by Curthom View Post
            Hey everyone, I'm working with a recruiter down here in Miami, FL. I took my asvab a little over a month ago and scored a 76 AFQT. We had some obstacles with LASIK paperwork but now that it's all worked out we are projecting that I go to MEPS first week of February to start DEP. When my recruiter told me I scored a 76 I asked him if I qualified for SO with the line scores. He responded saying yes, they should be.. I decided not to request him to make sure until all my LASIK med reads came back approved. Now that they are, shall I ask him to make sure they are good before I go to MEPS?
            Thanks in advance.
            -Curtis
            How's it going, man? I'll throw my two cents in as well just in case it helps you out. After you took your ASVAB you should have received a paper titled something along the lines of "VERIFIED CAT-ASVAB TEST SCORE REPORT" listing your standard and composite scores. Your standard scores listed on that page will be what you need to enter in to these formulas to find your line scores for SO:

1. GS+MC+EL=170
            2. VE+MK+MC+*CS*=*220* (CS or Coding Speed has been phased out so this total will most likely not be accurate)
            3. VE+AR=110 & MC=50

I believe you only have to meet ONE of these totals. But with a 76, I think you'll be in the clear. Also, these totals come from a 2016 ASVAB study guide I bought so they should be decently up to date. Nevertheless, I'd definitely run it by your recruiter at the end of the day to be safe.

I had PRK done a little over a month ago and, yes, you definitely must wait the six month period before going back to MEPS would be beneficial (unless you had other lose ends to tie up there and want to get them out of the way). The good news is you can PST during this six month period after PRK/LASIK if you've been medically cleared by MEPS.

Hope this makes sense/helps.

Comment

Hey Curtis, thanks for the input! Good luck man, hoping your scores are more than adequate for you

Comment

Working...
              X