Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

What Are Your Chances of BCT Success?

A three year Naval Special Warfare study comprised of hundreds of SWCC candidates has identified the speeds, distances and reps that correspond to success at BCT. The graphs in the predictive model show the boundaries of smart training to maximize your odds of success without increasing your risk of injury.

LINK: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-swcc-wh...t-success.html
2 of 2 < >

What Are Your Chances of Hell Week Success?

A three year Naval Special Warfare study comprised of thousands of SEAL candidates has identified the speeds, distances and reps that correspond to success at BUD/S. The graphs in the predictive model show the boundaries of smart training to maximize your odds of success without increasing your risk of injury.

LINK: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-wh...k-success.html
See more
See less

Odd feeling in the lower back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd feeling in the lower back

PROBLEM:
    I've had an odd "pain" in my lower back for about a year now. The problem I've had is I can't seem to find a diagnosis and going to a ortho, chiro, or sports med doctor isn't an option due to insufficient money. I've tried to work through it but it doesn't subside and it doesn't get any worse. I have tried laying off and icing it for weeks and it feels like its feeling better but as soon as I do supermans I can feel the "pain" come back in just a few reps.

The "pain" only occurs when I bend backwards decently far like in a cobra stretch for instance. When doing the superman exercise its not the trunk lifting portion that causes it. Its the lifting of the legs specifically. One thing I think I can confidently say about it is its not the panels of my back. It seems to originate right at the bottom of the panels. I don't know a lot about anatomy so my best guess is its a tendon or its my spine/muscles along the spine.

POSSIBLE CAUSE:
    About a year ago I was fighting passed a fear of doing backflips. When doing so my form was atrocious. I didn't stretch before I performed the flip/s. I think it could be a hyper-extension injury, possibly, because I would throw my trunk around hard to get my rotation because I was unsupported by a trainer and I had no experience up to that point in tumbling.

THE "PAIN":
    The feeling is almost a tight muscle sensation. It seems like at times its my ligaments in my spine that are tight if that's possible. Its something that is bearable and not very intense, but does it raise alarm that it could be something worse if its persisted this long.

If anyone could help me maybe understand what it could be or what I might want to try other than going to see a doctor. Thanks

Tristan

Re: Odd feeling in the lower back

I would also like to add that I stretch my lower back twice a day every day of the week.

Comment

I frequently get a little pain on the left side of my lower-back when I do supermans. The problem, however, isn't in my lower-back; it's in my overly-tight glute muscles on the left side of my body. About 15min of foam rolling (a little lacrosse ball action, too) clears it right up. I'm not saying that we have the same problem. Just that if you haven't tried stretching and rolling your glutes, then that's where I would start.

Of course the best thing you can do is go see a doctor, though I understand your reasons not to.

Comment

I think you just solved my problem. I've never really worked my glutes effectively so I've never thought to stretch them. Also when I do a different variation of a lower back workout that is a simple movement targeting the lower back panels, I have no pain sensation. Deductively ruling out my lower back as the problem.

Thank you very much for your input it has been very helpful. I have a follow up question about your rehabbing. Do you ice or compress it at all besides the rolling?

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan View Post
          I think you just solved my problem. I've never really worked my glutes effectively so I've never thought to stretch them. Also when I do a different variation of a lower back workout that is a simple movement targeting the lower back panels, I have no pain sensation. Deductively ruling out my lower back as the problem.

Thank you very much for your input it has been very helpful. I have a follow up question about your rehabbing. Do you ice or compress it at all besides the rolling?

Tristan
          Glad I could help. A lot of athletes I train with have glute-related issues. Overly tight. Poor activation. And so on. It's something I recommend you look into. Kelly Starrett has some great videos on this subject on Youtube.

I do ice and compress, but I do not use those tools on my glutes or lower back. That's not to say that you should not use them. If your lower back gets inflamed, then ice may be the way to go. Or even an ice bath. Though if a joint is getting super-inflamed during training, that's usually an indication that you shouldn't be training on that joint. Better to let is rest properly. "Work through the pain" when your at BUD/S.

Comment

(Extremely late but could maybe help someone else reading this) The problem could be a stress fracture in your lower back on one of the sides. I had a very similar problem and what makes me think that this could be yours is because you said it only is in pain when you do things like hyper-extension and rotation. I went to the doctor for it and they called it Spondyloysis, do some research on it. Try to strengthen you core and become more flexible along with correcting your posture.

Comment

• Roboscout 302
              Roboscout 302 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a buddy who's trying to get a Spondylolysis waiver. He was told by medical department that he maybe able to get into the big navy but more than likely NSW/NSO rates will be left out. For some reason it's treated as if they don't hand out waivers, but it's defiantly possible!
          Working...
          X