Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

What Are Your Chances of BCT Success?

A three year Naval Special Warfare study comprised of hundreds of SWCC candidates has identified the speeds, distances and reps that correspond to success at BCT. The graphs in the predictive model show the boundaries of smart training to maximize your odds of success without increasing your risk of injury.

LINK: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-swcc-wh...t-success.html
2 of 2 < >

What Are Your Chances of Hell Week Success?

A three year Naval Special Warfare study comprised of thousands of SEAL candidates has identified the speeds, distances and reps that correspond to success at BUD/S. The graphs in the predictive model show the boundaries of smart training to maximize your odds of success without increasing your risk of injury.

LINK: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-wh...k-success.html
See more
See less

Shin-Splint Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shin-Splint Help

Hey all,

I'm 17 and I'm a track runner but since 8th grade, I've suffered from shin splints each season. I've been reading on this section of the forum and I know about the stretches and what not to help them but how can I really try to prevent them? I know they're a common injury in BUD/S and I really would like to know how to help them ahead of time so they aren't a major problem when I get there.

mcadams226
    "We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." -Winston Churchill

Re: Shin-Splint Help

four things:

1. make sure you are doing all of the stretches (and the lower leg muscle strengthening rubber band work) from the PTG multiple times a day.
    2. make sure you aren't increasing your weekly running mileage more than 5-10 percent per week. (in your case, since you've struggled for some time with shin splints, I'd say cut back your mileage now, and then start increasing weekly mileage by 5%.)
    3. make sure you are eating a well balanced, healthy diet.
    4. go to a respected running / shoe store and consult them and make sure you are wearing the right shoe for your foot type.
    SO ship date 01.27.15

Comment

Re: Shin-Splint Help

I'd also like to add to what Jared said. I've had really bad shin splints in the past an the way I got rid of them was by resting for a couple weeks (with my cross country coach's permission), and everyday for those two weeks I iced my shins for twenty minutes each shin. I also massaged the band on the outside of my shin bone, and that felt amazing. Hope this helps and I hope you get rid of them.
      "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

John 15:13

Comment

All of the above is great info, but if you are STILL consistently get them even after letting your body get acclimated to the increased weekly/monthly mileage, I would recommend doing some strengthening exercises for your tibialis anterior (the muscle that actually hurts from shin splints).
        ie. Do reverse calf raises. Both heels on a stair, facing the descent of the stairs, let your toes fall toward the bottom stair then raise them up. Like 3 sets of 25 once a week, build up to twice a week.

Comment

Take a long break and let yourself heal. Don't run too much if you're obese.

Comment

NSW made a video about this for their YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by tfranc View Post
              NSW made a video about this for their YouTube channel
              I want to watch that. I used to get shin splints, but I don't anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X