Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dislocated shoulder

Good evening.

Two weeks ago, I dislocated my shoulder in an unfortunate accident. I had it relocated by the sports medicine medic at my school, saw the doctors afterwards, and all was well. A week or so later, my shoulder popped out of place again. I feel that I need to restrengthen the the shoulder so that it may be suitable for BUD/S, but I would like some input from the members of the site on how I should go about it. Thank you for any replies.

Re: Dislocated shoulder

I've dislocated my shoulder twice, about a year apart. When you dislocate it, you shouldn't really use it at all for a couple weeks. Get it checked by a doctor. But once it's had a little time to heal, you need to do some therapeutic exercises to help restrengthen the tendons. My dad's a physical therapist, and this is what he sent me:

• Isometric shoulder external rotation: Standing in a doorway with your elbow bent 90° and the back of your wrist pressing against the door frame, try to press your hand outward into the door frame. Hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
    • Isometric shoulder internal rotation: Standing in a doorway with your elbow bent 90° and the front of your wrist pressing against the door frame, try to press your palm into the door frame. Hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
    • Isometric shoulder adduction: With a pillow between your chest and your arms, squeeze the pillow with your arms and hold 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
    • Isometric shoulder flexion: Stand facing a wall with your elbow bent at a right angle and held close to your ody. Press your fist forward against the wall, hold this for 5 seconds, then rest. Do 3 sets of 10.
    • Isometric shoulder extension: Standing facing away from the wall with your elbow touching the wall, press the back of your elbow into the wall and hold for 5 seconds. Rest. Do 3 sets of 10.
    • Isometric shoulder abduction: Standing with one side towards the wall and your elbow bent at a 90-degree angle, press the side of your arm into the wall as if attempting to lift it. Hold for 5 seconds. Rest. Do 3 sets of 10.
    • Shoulder flexion: Stand with your arms hanging down at your side. Keep your elbow straight and lift your arms up over your head as far as you can reach. Hold the end position for 5 seconds. Do this 10 times.
    • Shoulder extension: Stand with your arms at your sides. Move the arm on one side back, keeping your elbow straight. Hold this position for 5 seconds. Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times.
    • Shoulder abduction: Stand with your arms at your sides. Bring your arms up, out to the side, and toward the ceiling. Hold for 5 seconds. Return to the starting position. Repeat 10 times.
    • Active elbow flexion and extension: Gently bring your palm up toward your shoulder and bend your elbow as far as you can. Then straighten your elbow as far as you can 10 times. Do 3 sets of 10.
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Comment

These are great, I appreciate it Lion!

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post

I've dislocated my shoulder twice, about a year apart. When you dislocate it, you shouldn't really use it at all for a couple weeks. Get it checked by a doctor. But once it's had a little time to heal, you need to do some therapeutic exercises to help restrengthen the tendons. My dad's a physical therapist, and this is what he sent me:

• Isometric shoulder external rotation: Standing in a doorway with your elbow bent 90° and the back of your wrist pressing against the door frame, try to press your hand outward into the door frame. Hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
        • Isometric shoulder internal rotation: Standing in a doorway with your elbow bent 90° and the front of your wrist pressing against the door frame, try to press your palm into the door frame. Hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
        • Isometric shoulder adduction: With a pillow between your chest and your arms, squeeze the pillow with your arms and hold 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 10.
        • Isometric shoulder flexion: Stand facing a wall with your elbow bent at a right angle and held close to your ody. Press your fist forward against the wall, hold this for 5 seconds, then rest. Do 3 sets of 10.
        • Isometric shoulder extension: Standing facing away from the wall with your elbow touching the wall, press the back of your elbow into the wall and hold for 5 seconds. Rest. Do 3 sets of 10.
        • Isometric shoulder abduction: Standing with one side towards the wall and your elbow bent at a 90-degree angle, press the side of your arm into the wall as if attempting to lift it. Hold for 5 seconds. Rest. Do 3 sets of 10.
        • Shoulder flexion: Stand with your arms hanging down at your side. Keep your elbow straight and lift your arms up over your head as far as you can reach. Hold the end position for 5 seconds. Do this 10 times.
        • Shoulder extension: Stand with your arms at your sides. Move the arm on one side back, keeping your elbow straight. Hold this position for 5 seconds. Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times.
        • Shoulder abduction: Stand with your arms at your sides. Bring your arms up, out to the side, and toward the ceiling. Hold for 5 seconds. Return to the starting position. Repeat 10 times.
        • Active elbow flexion and extension: Gently bring your palm up toward your shoulder and bend your elbow as far as you can. Then straighten your elbow as far as you can 10 times. Do 3 sets of 10.
        Very helpful reply.

Comment

Working...
        X