Announcement

Collapse

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
See more
See less

slight shoulder pain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slight shoulder pain

Directly after I do push ups, my shoulder, 1-3 inches down from the top of my shoulder has this slight pain and is somewhat tight. Its not constant and it usually goes away within the hour after the push ups. I could just be over thinking it but I don't want to misjudge and end up getting seriously hurt, disqualified before hand or have the potential to be med rolled/dropped. Does any know what it could be and if I should be applying ice or heat to it? I've been an athlete my whole life through running, weight training and scuba diving and have never come across an injury before so I am not too too knowledgeable on it.

P.S I am scheduling an appt with my doctor but I just wanted to see if I should be doing something unitl then.

Thanks in advanced!

check out your form... could be shoulder impingement... look up some sports med videos on bench press shoulder impingement and or push up related injuries

Comment

Impossible to tell from your description but it sounds like it could be inflammation. Not usually serious but I've had real problems with it not going away before. Icing will help, but not much you can do other than rest it until you get a diagnosis from the doctor, as it could be something else.

Originally posted by hmacdonald View Post
      I've been an athlete my whole life through running, weight training and scuba diving and have never come across an injury before
      As someone with little durability, teach me your ways.

Comment

I've looked up the impingement and it seems my symptoms are pretty close to that. my doc appt is on Thursday morning so ill bring it up to him and see what he thinks about it, thank you !!

And pkom96, as for never having an injury, I'd say 50/50, luck and just being smart and well educated (more than normal) about stretching and not pushing too too hard I guess. Ever since elementary school, my schools athletics was really on top of physical wellness (minus the absurdly destructive and unregulated dodge ball days that left half the class with concussions) and in gym class we would stretch before and after. They would also have one class a week doing strictly yoga sometimes and other days had "option days" where the gym was sectioned into 4 areas and yoga was an option and most people surprisingly chose to do so which is really good for mobility of joints, flexibility, and especially core strength. (I know its not the most manly thing out there haha but I would most certainly recommend it once and a while for its benefits especially for that core strength.) Same with the sports, I did long distance running and my coach would be really on top of us stretching and running with good form etc. Which in turn has followed with me throughout all my work outs and whatever sport I'd be doing. However, I was really close to auto qual scores for my push ups and I definitely got way carried away and didn't think as much as I should have about form and neglected to stretch before and sometimes forgot to stretch appropriately afterwards which is probably the reason for the pain. Definitely stopped when it was just starting as slight pain so hoping its not as bad as it could be and I can get back into it sooner rather than later.

Comment

Shoulder mobility and strength is arguably one of the most important things for SEAL-level athletes.
          My hometown gym picked up this shoulder stability/mobility thing called the "Crossover Symmetry" rig. I could not recommend it more. Preventative strength building and mobility are the best way to avoid shoulder injury.
          Good luck! Train hard, train smart. Don't ignore these things.

Comment

Your description is too vague to know exactly where your shoulder hurts. But you wrote this 6 months ago so who knows where you

Comment

are at

On a broader note, local inflammation and pain is part of the game. I would continue to train through it and monitor its severity. Chances are it will go away on its own.

Comment

Just want to throw this out their, here's some links to some vids by Athlean x about some techniques that really helped me personally with shoulder problems,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmeXwHu6W0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAvOnpN7Shc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwTC-lAJws

These have all been extremely helpful for me personally in both fixing shoulder pain and put my shoulders in a more healthy position while gaining strength and muscle size when training.

Comment

Working...
                X