Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Chronic Lower Back Pain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic Lower Back Pain

Hi, I've got an SO contract and I'm slated to leave this spring. I have an extra bone in my sacrum and it throws everything off balance and leads to soreness in my lower back. I can't sleep on a bad bed and usually need a pillow under my legs in order to feel minimal soreness in the morning. Before, I was being very optimistic about managing this pain during BUDs but is this simply an unrealistic goal? I don't want to go into training and this be completely debilitating to the point where I am med rolled or dropped. Last thing I want is a life in the fleet. I've done plenty of exercises to strengthen my core and easily get over 100 on the sit-ups portion of the PST so I'm not sure how much more I can do there. I want to go to BUDs and do my best to become a SEAL, but I don't want to go into it with false hopes either. I've already been rolled to a later ship date because of a knee problem that still hampers me some. Any admins here with some realistic advice?

Thanks

Re: Chronic Lower Back Pain

You can try strengthening the core region in your lower back by doing supermans and light weight dead lifts. Stretching might also help alleviate the pain. Does it only hurt when you sleep or does it hurt during your daily activities? Does it hurt when you do certain exercises?
    "Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle. But you shall be a miracle." -Phillips Brooks

Comment

Doesn't hurt so bad when actually doing exercises but more so afterwards and anything from sitting still for a long period of time and waking up in the morning. Like any lower back problem, it definitely does not feel good lifting heavy stuff up.

Comment

Actually, squats aggravate it. Any thoughts?

Comment

You have an extra bone in your sacrum...

The sacrum is one bone. I'm confused as to what you mean. Do you mean you have an extra vertebra in your sacrum?

What's particularly confusing is the connection between that and your lower back pain. I'm not sure how the mechanics of an extra vertebra contribute to your lower back pain, or even why that in particular would be the cause of it. I could see maybe how it might cause extra flexion of your lumbar region during situps or something, but I'm not sure... even that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. What's your medical history like with this thing? You've obviously seen doctors about it. Have you had chronic back pain your whole life? What is the physical effect of having an extra vertebra? Forgive the question, but does it look like you have more of a bony protrusion than someone without an extra vertebra?

The bottom line is that your back pain is either coming from too much flexion or overextension of the lumbar region. Whether the cause of the pain is liked to your extra vertebra, I'm not sure.

Comment

Yeah, it's a spinal anomaly. I'm not sure the technical terms about it. I'll look some stuff up about it and try to get back to you. About 5-10% of people have it and it usually doesn't cause any problems. For me it has. Basically at the bottom of my spine in or directly above the sacrum there is one side that, according to doctors, isn't necessarily an extra bone but rather a bone growth that has left one side much larger than the other. This extra "growth" has shifted my stance and caused all sorts of imbalances in my body that I've been working on getting better. You can see the imbalances when I sit down and stretch my legs out in front of me - the left leg sticks out a good inch further. Not sure if this helps or not. I leave in a month, so oh well, F it. I now realize how silly it is to expect any concrete answers on here without actually checking it out in person.

Comment

I know its very bad pain no doubt. Have you consulted from the doc? Doc recommends me to use a hybrid mattress, after using this mattress I got some relief from pain. I bought it from xxx change your mattress maybe it gives you some relief.
              Last edited by Scott Williams; 01-17-2019, 07:46 AM. Reason: No links to commercial websites promoting products allowed

Comment

Working...
              X