Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Broken Clavicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Clavicle

I know this question has been asked a few times on here but I would like to know if anyone can comment on my specific situation.

4 years ago I broke my clavicle and got a few screws to fix it. It is 100% recovered. The CMO at MEPS DQed me based on my prescreen for having hardware in my clavicle. My recruiter then sent a waiver request to N3M and they denied it.

I dug through the Navy MANMED P117 and found several sources that specifically say retained hardware is NOT disqualifying if it is non-symptomatic and will not interfere with any duties. My surgeon, who happened to be a battalion surgeon in the Navy recently did a check up and said I am 100% perfect and removing the hardware would be a waste of time. I have read that if I contact the Navy Recruiting Command they can go over MEPS and request a medical waiver. How do I go about contacting the Navy Recruiting Command?

My recruiter is not helping much, he said there is nothing he can do at this point.

Not sure if it is worth anything, but I feel I am a very good prospect, 95 AFQT, college degree, Division 1 college swimmer.

Thanks for any input

I want to preface this by saying I'm not completely confident, but I believe N3M has final say. This said, each branch has their own ruling body so you may be able to still serve your country in the special operations community in another branch. Once again, this is just my understanding as I am currently awaiting word from N3M myself. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Acer12345,

I had a similar problem, clavicle plate and screws on both clavicles. I was denied after two years of trying to get in.

Through personal connections I was able to speak directly with a doctor who worked at BUDS and he contacted the actual doctor who signed my N3M letter denying me entrance to the Navy. To make a long story short, they won't let you in with this. The Navy is worried about rucksacks, body armor, and parachutes. I know this will be preaching to the choir a bit but the rule was written back when palpable retained hardware may have been an issue for these "uniform" items (rucksacks, body armor, parachutes, etc.). However, current hardware is extremely smooth and causes no irritation, but the Navy hasn't won't the rule because they will not take a risk. The risk being if your "uniform" causes irritation then the Navy will have to operate on you to remove your plate which costs money. The Navy will want to avoid the issue altogether. So you know, I actually elected to have surgery to remove the plates and the surgeon was unable to move one of them (I have plates on both clavicles). Reapplied, and still denied.

Best part of all: the doc at BUDS told me that if I broke my clavicle while in the Navy they would implant a plate and screws. I am actively trying to join another branch though.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Comment

Working...
      X